Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Gissa job!

4 hours ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Two i/v's this week, both looking like going on to psychometric testing. Giddy up!

Go Cory ! :D 

• Like 1

My interview went well, but much experience tells me that means little or nothing.

On my side, the hiring manager did say that there was nothing that gave him any cause for concern, and had he thought I wasn't in the running, I would have been out much sooner. (I was there for 2 hours.)

So... Now we wait. Some more.

In the meantime, here's a pic of a nice-looking E46 coupe in New Plynouth.

20180713_160449.thumb.jpg.867438ec8a7cde3cb01486d68e206ff9.jpg

• Like 7

Any feedback Graham?

I hate the dreaded "feedback" convos - especially those you get at 5pm on a Friday like I did last week lol!

1 hour ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Any feedback Graham?

I hate the dreaded "feedback" convos - especially those you get at 5pm on a Friday like I did last week lol!

Nuffin'.
So far.

I did have a good and friendly chat with the hiring manager post-interview while we walked around the main site I'd be at (although I could be anywhere from the top of Coromandel down to Palmy). That went on for a good 30 minutes or more - applicants not worthy of further consideration don't get the tour.

But that's all I have at the moment.

I have seen another job I'd really quite like (and probably enjoy) over in Hawkes Bay (again). I'm working up an application for that one.

• Like 3

Update.

Didn't get the role in Taranaki with PowerCo. Despite all the good feelings, the feedback received on the day, and so on, it was felt that I wasn't perhaps a 'good fit' with PowerCo.

I've had a few very short-term bits'n'pieces of work, but noting significant or really substantial.

Just learned that I didn't make interview for a role with HealthShare (who provide IT services to Waikato DHB, among others). The role description was a bit sketchy so I may not have fitted with that, but the essence is that it was for a person to manage people rolling out software across the DHB. Which was predominantly exactly what I was doing at CMDHB. There may have been some impact from them having advertised directly (which I didn't see) and my having applied via a recruiter (who would be paid had I been awarded the position).

There have been a lot of other jobs under the pen, a few interviews, but nothing tangible.

I have applied for a role I was offered 5 years ago. Let's see how that goes.

• Like 1

I wish you the best Graham, it is trying at the best of times. I think we have spoken about this before too. 

• Like 1

New contract doneski... slightly annoyingly it's the same stuff I've been doing for the last too many years but it's something; and it gives me the chance to do some training/certs over the next wee while, once I can decide exactly what I want to do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SmithyInWelly said:

slightly annoyingly it's the same stuff I've been doing for the last too many years

That is what I'm trying to avoid. Unfortunately the current job market appears geared to replacement and not enhancement.
Just don't take anything that means a step back - moving forward again may be impossible!

1 minute ago, gjm said:

That is what I'm trying to avoid. Unfortunately the current job market appears geared to replacement and not enhancement.
Just don't take anything that means a step back - moving forward again may be impossible!

It's not easy out there; as you know as well as I do... sometimes the bullet must be bitten! The other consideration is to create my own business - hence I'm considering a career development diploma (true story). It's closely aligned to what I've been doing for years, and I can see the demand for it increasing - certainly if my own experience is any example; which of course it is :)

2 minutes ago, SmithyInWelly said:

The other consideration is to create my own business

Same here.
I've been looking at what help might be available, including this: Grants and help for your new business.

• Like 1

Interview this morning. Should be interesting... The interviewer is the person I will replace - he has moved 'up' int he company. I wonder if he's looking for someone like him, or someone to take things in a different direction? Impossible to tell.

The company has shared a 'position description' which I take as a good thing - so many describe this document as a 'job description'. Subtle, semantic difference, but potentially an important one.
That said, the document is 7 pages long... ? (And doesn't include making tea!)

• Like 3

All the best Graham.

as an aside, going into business for yourself is a courageous move, and is truly tough in this world of cowboys and laypeople. Side hustling on the other hand, is a hit or miss. 

• Like 1

The self-employed (in all senses of the word) route might work in the field I've been investigating... In a few years' time. At present, it's simply not sufficiently profitable to make sense. A shame, as it has been an interesting journey (and could be one I continue).

Most recently I've been working with a local surveying firm, investigating ways to deploy survey markers (Ground Control Points) without actually going to the areas where they are required. It can be done with GPS (and 4/5G or wireless communications between a drone and base station, aka Ground Control Station) but there are benefits in 'walking' the land to see exactly what the terrain is like.

That'll be coming to an end shortly, as I have been offered a role in Central Hawkes Bay. Exciting times down there, too...

Which means another headache for us. Rent, or buy? How do we relocate all our 'stuff' economically? Oh well... No-one said life was easy! :)

• Like 5

Ive developed a number of UAVs running high end L1/L2 RTK, depending on what you need (and budget) you can get away without GCPs at all. uBlox keeping announcing cheaper and cheaper RTK units, it wont be long until you cant get 5mm accuracy for $100... 

• Like 1

The guys are using the ORC 2 and LRX from Altus intelligence - not cheap but pretty decent kit. They're used for photogrammetry and for LIDAR.
The owner of the survey company is  shareholder in Altus (NZ) which kinda explains some of his affinity.

• Like 1

I know the people you contracted too ;) Ive done some contracting for Altus in the past. 

• Like 1

Looks like we're moving to Oueroa. (Look it up!) Once I know the road a little better, it'll be about 20 minutes to work.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gjm said:

Looks like we're moving to Oueroa. (Look it up!) Once I know the road a little better, it'll be about 20 minutes to work.

mr google says 30 minutes

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Waipawa/Oueroa+4284/@-40.0088603,176.5463195,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d69e102dfe53de5:0x500ef6143a31540!2m2!1d176.5896379!2d-39.9416112!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d4272018befbfe3:0x500ef6143a328d0!2m2!1d176.6759885!2d-40.0761515!3e0

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

New landlord reckons he regularly made Waipukurau in well under 10 minutes in a Mini Cooper!
When we came back on Friday, it took us 15, and that was taking things easy. Waipawa is another 6-10 minutes beyond that.
Bit longer at the moment due to extended 30km/h zones for roadworks.

roadworks...the whole of wellington seems like roadworks some days Well done on the job!!!

• Like 1

Having just traveled through there, I have to say they are really spending some money on roading there. Maybe because the mayor is a farmer? The Saddle Road has been improved outstandingly too! I think you will love it in that area Graham, the occasional winter snow will be like old blighty but the summers are very nice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

having just had the exprience oh helping my sister move she found a trailer place that lets you hire a furniture trailer one way...https://utow.co.nz/k/one-way-trailer-hire

We're hiring a 4x2 35m³ rigid lorry. Needs a class 2 license, but our current landlord has offered to drive it.

Probably won't be big enough for everything...