Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Gissa job!

In all seriousness, I heard t day that as of next Friday, I am no longer gainfully employed.

One dream realised - I have time to do stuff, without worrying about what is waiting for me when I get back!

Sadly, I can't actually afford to do anything...

If anyone knows of anyone looking for IT management skills, please let me know. (Pretty please! :angel: )

I hear through the grapevine that Instant Finance are looking for a "CIO" (which is actually an IT Manager role given the size and strategic outlook of the company). Apparently not yet advertised...

I know nothing about the role or your suitability but it might be worth you reaching out?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I hear through the grapevine that Instant Finance are looking for a "CIO" (which is actually an IT Manager role given the size and strategic outlook of the company). Apparently not yet advertised...

I know nothing about the role or your suitability but it might be worth you reaching out?

Thanks Dave.
Got to be worth a go!

You would want to be somewhere close to Yosser Hughes' personality type to work for Instant Finance I would imagine from the particular segment of the market the work in.

• Like 2

Update...

First application - 64 other people also applied for the role, including 2 who proved to be an exact fit in terms of experience and industry sector. This reveals the issues with applying via an agency - they'll send through the 'best fit' but won't typically look into why the (apparent?) 'best fit' is available, or if someone else might do a better job. Ho hum. They could well be right, and they do have to start somewhere.

Second role - I tried to discuss the role with the recruiter who clearly didn't understand my concerns over scope (given the information provide re scale and scope). As it turned out, my concerns described exactly what the company wanted, which was completely contrary to the description of the role.

Third... "Can you program?" (I've been applying for infrastructure, not development roles.) "Yes. [I can and have.] What language would you like me to use?" "What have you used most recently?" "VB, for custom automated report creation." "Oh... We're looking for recent Visual C scripting experience..."
This was for an infrastructure management role, with no mention at any point of any programming being required. I asked prior to interview, and was told it wasn't a pre-requisite.

So... Back to the role in Taranaki. Phone interview yesterday morning. A half hour which really isn't long enough to even concisely get a full picture across. Still, it seemed to go well, and I should hear something more tomorrow. Next step will be a visit to HQ in New Plymouth and an in-depth interview, involving HR. They pay for the flights...

Keep your fingers crossed, eh? :)

• Like 4

Good luck mate, it’ll happen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breaker said:

Good luck mate, it’ll happen

That's what my old man kept telling me about girls...

I suppose it did happen eventually... I hope Graham doesn't have to wait that long! :o

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

No news.

But maybe that's good news?

They've not said 'no'!

• Like 1

OK - they have said 'no'. :(

Turns out the 'interview' prep I was given by the agent was substantially inaccurate - "it's not an interview, it's just a chat to see if you could work together" - and having just 20 minutes on the phone doesn't leave much time to recover when you realise that's the case. Apparently my leadership style isn't what they are looking for: I was told they look for a 'carrot' rather than 'stick' approach and despite it being just a chat, briefly described that. The interview ended before I could recover my position but I emailed, expressing thanks for the interviewers time and offering to more fully describe my leadership style (something I knew was necessary). No reply, other than via the agent to say my leadership style was 'too friendly' and that a stronger approach would be needed. I don't thin the agent even realised he was contradicting himself.

I asked the agent to follow up and he all-but refused, saying it'd not make any difference.

The call - chat, interview - is my responsibility, but I can't help feeling a little misled.

I will follow up, but don't know if it'll go anywhere.

In the meantime... Anyone know anything about Gisborne as an area to live?

The IT industry is incredibly short staffed at the moment. When don’t you directly approach recruiters and organisations of a certain size and see what shakes out?

Even a six month contract would give you some breathing space. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

The IT industry is incredibly short staffed at the moment. When don’t you directly approach recruiters and organisations of a certain size and see what shakes out?

I've been working on a list today. :) 

• Like 1

OK... Update. But don't get excited.

Had an interview in the Auckland CBD for  contract. (I swore I'd not do a contract, or work in the Auckland CBD, but beggars cannae be choosers.)

Interview went well. Feedback was "I'm sure I could work well with Graham. He obviously has a lot of experience that would be useful."

Then today... Nope. Decided to explore some other candidates.
OK. That happens. But some feedback is always useful. Sadly on this occasion, the feedback is not useful...

"He lives so far away." (They've employed people who fly up from Queenstown, work Mon-Fri, then fly back.)
"I'm worried he might get bored."  Eh?
"There's one or two people he might not get on with." Out of 150... After over 20 years doing this sort of thing, I sincerely doubt it'd be a problem.

Oh well. That one is a bust.

I've other applications I'm waiting to hear on, from New Plymouth to Gisborne, Havelock and Whakatane, and north to Auckland.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, NZ BMW said:

lol i dont know what IT industry you work in, but it must not be New Zealands....

55 minutes ago, gjm said:

O
"There's one or two people he might not get on with."

That would be the MD and 2IC...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

lol i dont know what IT industry you work in, but it must not be New Zealands....

I work in tech and I can tell you were are all in a fight for good developers, BAs and the like. 

Not to mention all the money pouring into govt transformation programs and procurement panels down in Wellington. 

In fact I was reading a MBIE report the other day saying ICT has more vacancies than any other industry.

44 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

I work in tech and I can tell you were are all in a fight for good developers, BAs and the like. 

Not to mention all the money pouring into govt transformation programs and procurement panels down in Wellington. 

In fact I was reading a MBIE report the other day saying ICT has more vacancies than any other industry.

I've been back in contracting for four years, and this is the first time I've had an empty pipeline.   I'm looking forward to seeing evidence of the vacancies and demand that's currently being touted, in the form of concrete opportunities!  :)

20 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've been back in contracting for four years, and this is the first time I've had an empty pipeline.   I'm looking forward to seeing evidence of the vacancies and demand that's currently being touted, in the form of concrete opportunities!  :)

Maybe it is starting to slow then. But to be honest that does surprise me, especially in Wellington. 

Another turn-down... this one just said "Regrettably you did not make it onto our shortlist." Nothing else.

I'd applied privately as the company had advertised the role themselves. Two agencies had contacted me, asking if I would be interested in role XYZ that they could place me for. They were quite literally falling over each other telling me that according to my CV I had everything the company was looking for, and some additional experience that was known would be useful.

But... I didn't make a shortlist via a direct application.

I wonder what the company is actually looking for?

I've typically worked with recruiters when looking for a new position. However i usually treat the first meeting with them as me interviewing them. It can be a colossal waste of time if the recruiter has only just started recruiting for the industry, and or doesn't have a basic understanding of the technologies around my skill set, or the type of role or position that suits me. So if i don't get that vibe from the recruiter in the first meeting, ill take everything they say with a good pinch of salt. There are simply too many that fire any and every candidate they can locate at a position. After all sling enough and eventually some will stick and those commissions are not small.

good luck on the search. 

The saga continues...

Newly advertised role, applied for at 04.20 this morning. It was listed overnight.

Followed up with a phone call to see if any of the additional information I offered would be useful... Recruiter says "Yesterday I put forward a couple of CVs for people they've said they want to interview. Apparently they're happy with those so I won't be sending any more, unless these fall through. They want someone quickly, you see..."

I'd said in my initial correspondence that I'm available for an immediate start. :huh: 

I was very early, yet still a day late.

Sooo sick of this. 

Went to WINZ yesterday. At least that meeting felt positive.

the construction industry need you. can you pick up 20 kgs.

where a full one'zees,( glasses, hard hat, boots , gloves hiviz..   speak  Chinese,  say yes m8, you would be perfect ..

just a thought, when I get CVs that sniff of currently unemployed, rightly or wrongly, they are safely filed in the rubbish recycling. perhaps drop the available for immediate start if you think it might help too ?

35 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

just a thought, when I get CVs that sniff of currently unemployed, rightly or wrongly, they are safely filed in the rubbish recycling. perhaps drop the available for immediate start if you think it might help too ?

That's a detail that's not in there. Same as age and references.

10 hours ago, gjm said:

That's a detail that's not in there. Same as age and references.

This comes up a lot for me, as I have a few folks whom I work with who are 'older.' Whilst it isn't an issue for me, my folks have conveyed that being 'old' in IT is serious business today and if you're over a certain age (mid-40s?) and are an 'engineer' and not 'management' people discriminate against that.

References are a given. We always ask for them. Job description details or not. That said, I've never had someone give a reference who wasn't positive, so game that sh*t, it's what everyone seems to.

Over qualified.

Too much experience.

Likely to not find the role sufficiently challenging.

Then...

Lack of exposure.

Insufficient experience.

The guy at WINZ was great (I gave it more than 2 months before visiting.) and suggested I (we - Mrs M and I) were entitled to benefits I've never heard of. All I wanted was JAS (Job Seekers Allowance) to help witht he costs of running back and forth up, and down the country, for interviews and suchlike.

Gabe - I've sent you a PM.