Sign in to follow this  
warrenp

M54 vanos seal upgrade needed?

I've looked at the DIY for the vanos seal upgrade.  I'm up for it, but looks like it will take me a day and a half so I'd rather only do it if I could first know that the engine needs it.

I've just bought the car. 2003 530i touring, WBADS62040GL81691.  Has 147,000 km, and (apart from the thermostat obviously needing replacing as the gauge went down to quarter mark on downhill runs) it drove like a charm from Auckland to Wellington and did about 11.5km/L for the trip (I drove with the slipper down a few times too).  The idle is smooth and consistent, what looks like 650 or 700 rpm according to the tacho.  Seems to have good pull right through the rev range.  I've never driven another so have nothing to compare it with but it feels like 170kw to me. Even with 250kg of family and dog in the car it still overtakes effortlessly.   I can't hear any obvious loud rattling sounds coming from the vanos area.

Would you guys do this upgrade anyway?  Any more precise ways to find out if it needs it?  Previous owner didn't do it, but who knows if the one before him did it.  Car was imported in 2010 from Japan with 80,000km.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by warrenp

I always do it.

Its a great upgrade, and not as hard as it looks if you take your time.

I always install the anti rattle kit to seeing as I'm in there anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks Nathan

I don't know if you're allowed to say on here, but which seller of the kits do you go with?  Hong Kong free shipping deals from $30 for the 10 PTFE seals, 9 x nuts and washers and 2 x rattle rings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Dual-Seal-Rattle-Ring-Repair-Kit-For-BMW-Vanos-M52TU-M54-M56-11361440142/362100419807?epid=2236983454&hash=item544eddecdf:g:VJIAAOSwdDtZt3we&vxp=mtr

vs $85 from XR8 who say they are high quality but essentially the same things right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DOUBLE-TWIN-DUAL-VANOS-REBUILD-RATTLE-SEALS-SET-KIT-FIX-3-5-7-Z3-Z4-X3-X5/162547855430?hash=item25d89b7046:g:yXEAAOSwa-dWiz7D&vxp=mtr

Probably do this soon myself. Id stick with Beisan kit and buy the other parts. Mine has no rattles when revved up at idle so i probably wont bother with the rattle kit (done 257,000)

• Like 1

Any reason for Beisan Jared?  Their seals are $60 US, the two rattle rings another $60 US which is over $200 NZ including shipping without even new nuts and washers.  Teflon (PTFE) isn't expensive to manufacture and the rings are just hardened steel.  I find it hard to justify this price without some strong evidence they sell a far superior product.

http://www.beisansystems.com/products

Originally Beisan came up with the fix and documented it so i try to support guys like that, the seals have a proven track record also. Yeah if you doing the rattle kit also i does get a bit expensive but you may not technically need it. The X8R kit looks fine, i haven't done any research on it myself but if there's good feedback it shouldn't be a bad option 

Personally I went with beisan for piece of mind.

Its not a 5 minute job so I don't want to do it again earlier than i have to.

Edited by zero

I assume rattle kit on these doesn't mean cam out and re-time like on the S50? If you need to re-time then skip it.

As for vendor options and cost, I can only vouch for Beisan because I got my kit from them. The after-sales service was outstanding and Raj (owner) even sent me extra parts that I ended up needed for postage only. He answered all of my questions (I had a hell of a time, see my M3 PLOG) really quickly and was very helpful.

But you're right, the cat's out of the bag now on what is required and how to do it so you might save a bunch purchasing elsewhere. But I'll only ever recommend Beisan.

• Like 1

I went Beisan, no anti rattle kit, at about 120k.

the seals were 100% rooted - the o-rings could be snapped by folding them.

It was much smoother afterwards, and it's propensity to surge and be really easy to stall while parking disappeared. My wife and I would both regularly stall it backing out of the garage.

There was a much improved feeling of low end torque, and smoothness. If it wasn't more torquey, then it was at least much more progressive, instead of a sudden increase at about 3000 or so.

I have used the X8R kit on 3 cars now, its good quality and comes with everything you need including a new valve cover gasket.  Always fit the anti rattle rings while you are in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DOUBLE-TWIN-DUAL-VANOS-SEALS-REPAIR-SET-KIT-M52-M54-WITH-GASKETS/161937842122?hash=item25b43f5fca:g:FnoAAOSwGotWi0l8&vxp=mtr

I too have used Beisan seals, on two cars now and the quality is great. The guides on the site are generally good too (with the exception of the S50B30 euro, which i have advised Raj was wrong and he abused me for it and still hasnt updated it).

I would be very wary about buying something so important from a random ebay seller. You just dont know what you will actually get.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.  I think I will go with X8R.  Beisan is out of my price range.  Murray, I see they sell a kit without the gaskets and just a tube of instant gasket sealer, so presumably some people re-use the original gaskets along with the gasket sealer?  Would you strongly advise against this?  $165 for the kit with gaskets you linked to down to $85 without.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DOUBLE-TWIN-DUAL-VANOS-REBUILD-RATTLE-SEALS-SET-KIT-FIX-3-5-7-Z3-Z4-X3-X5/162547855430?hash=item25d89b7046:g:yXEAAOSwa-dWiz7D&vxp=mtr

Edited by warrenp

The cars I've worked on had gaskets of unknown condition, was they were replaced.

It's up to you to decide on fitting an new gasket or not.

Always use new gaskets.

You dont want to do it twice

• Like 1

And just throwing this out there... If for whatever reason you end up wanting a full valve cover... :)