Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

Latest toy. E36 328i

Couldn't help myself when this came up. It needs a bit of work. New guibo, headliner and a few other small things like fog lights but it's been well maintained and was only sold because the owner thought the trans was completely stuffed. I kinda feel a bit bad not telling him about the guibo but it was a good bargaining point..lol

Anyway. Here it is.

DSCN1028.thumb.JPG.f495582f69d5736c5be3b90e083645e7.JPGDSCN1029.thumb.JPG.4557330bcdfb9c8a046c5598df8b739e.JPGDSCN1030.thumb.JPG.8618daff084b0abe5aef0d3560da2439.JPG

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 8

w00t!  loos great, Dave. good score.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

woot! is right, I'd rock a 328i coupe again. The retreads over at Carjam think this is a sedan :rolleyes:

Yeah I saw that. Was a Jap import in 2005 so some numbnuts didn't know what they were getting registered. Though how a car dealer couldn't know the difference between a coupe and sedan beats me.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

Gotta say. I really like driving this car. I've gotten used to the big V12 and do enjoy driving that but theres something to be said for being able to really throw this little E36 around the corners. Been having a blast driving it around..lol

• Like 2

My  328 auto coupe doesn't have a guibo. I know because I asked for it to be replaced... and it wasn't there. Mines a late 97, did it get deleted during production?

All I had to do was look at realOem. Japan cars don't have one, I guess because of the Jatco box.

Edited by jom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jom said:

My  328 auto coupe doesn't have a guibo. I know because I asked for it to be replaced... and it wasn't there. Mines a late 97, did it get deleted during production?

All I had to do was look at realOem. Japan cars don't have one, I guess because of the Jatco box.

Thats interesting to know. Mines a 95. I dont know a lot about the E36 chassis  and haven't had this one up on the hoist yet to know whats wrong with it. The symptoms fit with a stuffed guibo but I guess I wont know until I can actually get under it for a look.

Just had a look on realoem and it appears I do have the guibo(universal Joint).

DRIVE SHAFT-CENT.BEARING-UNIVERSAL JOINT

BIG thanks to Andy who spotted a bit of missing trim in the pics and sent it to me gratis. I owe ya for that one. 

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kulgan said:

guibo(universal Joint).

Different things... the "guibo" is #1 in that diagram, the uni is the (unnumbered) coupling in the prop shaft.

9 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Different things... the "guibo" is #1 in that diagram, the uni is the (unnumbered) coupling in the prop shaft.

Realoem list #1 as a universal joint. Clicking the pick leads to this. Are we both talking about the same thing? different names for the same thing?

Edited by kulgan

On 2/1/2018 at 0:46 PM, kulgan said:

Yeah I saw that. Was a Jap import in 2005 so some numbnuts didn't know what they were getting registered. Though how a car dealer couldn't know the difference between a coupe and sedan beats me.

It's not the dealer that decides how the car is entered into the LTNZ system, but the poorly paid souls in compliance when the car enters the country. I guess some people just don't care enough...

3 hours ago, Statek said:

It's not the dealer that decides how the car is entered into the LTNZ system, but the poorly paid souls in compliance when the car enters the country. I guess some people just don't care enough...

I would say that the poorly paid souls in compliance probably dont even see the car at all when entering it into the system.

if they see a 328ci (like on the e46) then they may know its a coupe, but if its 328i (like on the e36, coupe or sedan) they may just guess or assume its sedan.

2 hours ago, qube said:

I would say that the poorly paid souls in compliance probably dont even see the car at all when entering it into the system.

if they see a 328ci (like on the e46) then they may know its a coupe, but if its 328i (like on the e36, coupe or sedan) they may just guess or assume its sedan.

I'm speaking from experience as I used to work for VINZ between high school and uni.

The person responsible for entering the car into the system has to check the VIN/chassis number, colour, body shape, etc before putting it in the system. In case of Japanese cars, the computer then spits out a VIN number and that same person has to make a tag and rivet it to the vehicle. Guesses should not come into it - it's just laziness, I think.

• Like 2

So I finally got around to having a look under this thing.

Jap import so no Guibo there.

What I did find was that the transmission was sitting off center on the drivers side and is hitting the tunnel wall on acceleration.

So my guess is a broken mount somewhere. I didn't have a lot of time to investigate as it started to rain and I was working outside. 

The trans mount looked to be intact so maybe a broken engine mount? Will have to wait till I can really get under it for a decent look.

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

This is NOT a Guibo it is a Product made by a company called Guibi , other companies also make them it is a flexible coupling

I think we're past that part of the discussion and onto other things. Like why the transmission is leaning on the transmission tunnel? :-)

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, M3AN said:

FWIW Dave, your signature doesn't show up. You may see it because it's in your cache but "http://s25.postimg.org/4ese3rwwv/signiture_pic.jpg" no longer works...

Cheers for the prompt. I couldn't see it either but largely ignored it. Deleted.

bwa ha ha ha. Center hanging bearing...?

Knocking noise in transmission tunnel solved.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 3