Sign in to follow this  
happygohunting

Fix or scrap?

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 BMW 320i (E90) sedan. A number of weeks ago, the car spat the dummy - smoke was coming out of the exhaust, the engine was jerky, and once I pulled over and stopped, I turned the car off and now the engine won't run for any longer than a few seconds before conking out again. I don't know a lot about cars, and I know that it is probably impossible to get a mechanical analysis of what the best option would be from this forum, but I just want people's opinions on the question I have been pondering the last couple of weeks: is it worth fixing the car (whether that be an engine repair) or should I scrap it? The body interior and exterior is in very good condition, just mechanically, for the time being, the car is stuffed. Thanks in advance.

get it checked by someone that knows the cars

what does the car owe you? 

The general consensus is these 2L engines in the E90 are very problematic.

It could be a simple fix, could require a new engine. no one can say until you take it to a shop and get it diagnosed properly.

39 minutes ago, Blackie said:

What' the oil level like on the dipstick?

There is no dipstick.

Get it checked out properly, there is a couple of things that can go wrong with these vehicles, neither of them are cheap

Well that' another BMW 'engineering' fail I've not come across. You learn a new one everyday!

What does the i386 in the dash say?

6 hours ago, Blackie said:

Well that' another BMW 'engineering' fail I've not come across. You learn a new one everyday!

Most late model Euro cars don't have dipsticks these days...apart from the one behind the wheel. They are now going a little further and no more sump plugs. There is a plug, but if you remove it you need to replace the sump. And this is happening now on some Euro's. Not had it on a BMW yet, but it will no doubt come. It's a bit like the use once bolts that now prevail within the industry. At this stage I've only seen it on the VW Audi range with plastic sumps.

Edited by *rUstY_nUts*
  • Like 2