Sign in to follow this  
emandru

E34 auto transmission fitment issues

Hi guys,

I'm looking for help once again for the brilliant minds on this forum.  A while ago i bought a 1994 e34 525i sedan (jap import) which had a previously swapped in manual transmission which i removed and placed into my wagon.  Now i wanted to place the auto transmission from the wagon into the sedan.  Everything went smoothly but it looks like the wire connections are different in the sedan and and will not connection to the auto transmission. The auto trans is a zf 5hp18 (i think referred to as the A5S310Z).  I've included some photos below of the TCU in the sedan, what the connections look like on the sedan and the auto trans plaque.  Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get this work (if it will)?

Cheers

IMG_20180206_141532.jpg

IMG_20180206_141610.jpg

IMG_20180206_141629.jpg

IMG_20180206_141634.jpg

IMG_20180206_141641.jpg

The sedan probably had a jatco transmission hence the diff plugs. Id say you would have to swap out all the wiring related to jatco for the zf wiring, but i dont see anyone doing that tbh.

Im sure Brent will chime in

Hey Eagle, thanks for confirming.  I spent a bit of time on Realoem and it does look like the sedan previously had the Jatco A5S-300J in it. I'd presume that if i were to swap out the TCU and wiring, than I'd have to replace that wiring loom and ECU as well as they are likely connected (can someone confirm this). This would make it a hell of a lot more work than scouring for a used jatco unit. I guess next logical step would be, is anyone looking to sell a working jatco A5S-300J?

Thanks Allan that's kind of the path I've taken for now.  I looked at both cars and realized they both have the same ECU so i decided to swap the TCU and transmission loom.  Everything went smoothly but I've hit a snag.  Where the transmission loom connects to the ECU loom, the connectors don't match nor the wire colours (this is maybe a jap vs euro thing?) but both connectors have the same number of wires.  The connector is located in the drivers foot well to the right of steering column.  Does anyone know what this connector number is or have pin outs for the jap plug? The first three photos are of the Jap (sedan) connector and the last photo is that of the euro (wagon) connector. If i can figure which wires do what, then I can complete this swap.

Cheers!

IMG_20180207_192927.jpg

IMG_20180207_193342.jpg

IMG_20180207_193028.jpg

IMG_20180207_193150.jpg