Sign in to follow this  
zero

Which trans fluid?

Which trans fluid and how many litres do I need for my e46 320i and e46 325i cars?

The trans in both cars is listed as A5S325Z on realoem, and I already have gaskets and filters ready to go.

I should add that one car has done 140k and one has done 200k

my 2002 e46 325i trans was fully rebuilt, they refilled it with Penrite full synthetic (it as 8L for a full fill from dry) ATF F5.  It's still running nicely - and shifting really smoothly - since Jan 2013, around 60k kms... oh, nearly time for a precautionary change!

You should be able to source it in 20L barrel or enviro-box... as you're doing two, may pay off in bulk-buy saving.  http://penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-fs-full-syn 

You might consider doing a drain and fill, running it for 500-1000kms, then doing the full drain, pan clean, filter replacement etc, and refill... there are pros and cons, and plenty of opinions.   Other option (which I did for my Volvo:  the home driveway 'power change' ... draining 1.9L each time via the outlet pipe from the trans into the cooler, shutting off, replenishing with fresh fluid, re-starting, running through the gears, then draining out another 1.9L, rinse and repeat until nice raspberry coloured fluid came out again (14L DEXIII in total).  Worked well.  HTH.

EDIT - I see REPCO advertising Oil Bonanza (50% off) this weekend.  Let them buy your business!  Read the fine print - it's probably *not* restricted to store stock.

Edited by Olaf
oil sale
  • Like 1

Just did my E39 with Penrite FS. Used 10L total with a 2nd drain after the filter change. Removing trans cooler lines looks a pita on E39 and something would probably break in the process.

• Like 1

+1 for ATF-FS. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zero said:

Well thats three votes for penrite so I guess thats the one.

Here is the penrite page;

http://penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-fs-full-syn

Repco has 25% off atf oil so I will try and get a 20litre tommorrow

Do you mind reporting in on how much 20L costs?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Just did my E39 with Penrite FS. Used 10L total with a 2nd drain after the filter change. Removing trans cooler lines looks a pita on E39 and something would probably break in the process.

It's not so bad, but it's messy as anything. Plan on lots of rags...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Do you mind reporting in on how much 20L costs?

No problem

I happened to be at a Repco today, and with the sale discount, 20L comes out to ~$175NZD. 

• Like 2

Yea, the minister for war suggested I postpone spending any more money till after our holiday, so doing the trans and diff maintenance on both cars will have to wait a couple of months.

• Like 1

Nathan by all means keep the minister happy but beware Babara may go on the war path.:P

• Like 2

Did the trans oil on babara today. She took nearly 6 litres, and the old oil was really dark.

Shifts a little nicer now.