Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryanhorton1973

Change of plan

21 posts in this topic

Hi all !  

I had put a post up about buying a 2004/2005 5 series wagon but having a good look at a few of them have come to the conclusion that they are going to be too big and heavy on fuel. Am now thinking I would be better off with a 3 series wagon or maybe a 120i. Once again my questions are what to look out for and any known common problems. I had a quick look at this today and looks nice apart from spilts in the leather parts in the drivers seat : http://www.autobase.co.nz/cars-for-sale/BMW/120i/Hatchback/3262954.htm

The money you may save on fuel will be offset repairing the ongoing issues you’ll have with the four cylinder petrol BMW’s of that era. They are horrible. 

How much mileage do you plan to do weekly/monthly?  The 6 cylinder cars are not that bad compared to the 4 cylinders on fuel.  It all depends how it will be used. 

1 person likes this

stay right away from the 4cylinder bmws. the 120i is going to break your bank much quicker than the fuel costs of a 6cylinder.

2 people like this

I agree with the others - avoid the n46 motor at all costs.

The 6 cylinder motors are very good though.

Hi. Mileage wise will only be about 140kms a week to and from work plus weekend trips. I thought all 2.0 BMW engines were 6 cylinder and only the 116 and 118 were the four cylinder engines.

I really do prefer the 5 series but thought that driving that small as distance to work and back would not be good for such a big car. Thanks.

57 minutes ago, ryanhorton1973 said:

Hi. Mileage wise will only be about 140kms a week to and from work plus weekend trips. I thought all 2.0 BMW engines were 6 cylinder and only the 116 and 118 were the four cylinder engines.

I really do prefer the 5 series but thought that driving that small as distance to work and back would not be good for such a big car. Thanks.

Up to the 120i, they're I4s. The 125i and up are I6s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_1_Series_(E87)

125i very rare in NZ, only ever seen one for sale and it was the 2dr coupe shape not the 4dr hatch.

130i very common and great cars but quite thirsty on fuel especially for around town.

I would suggest something like a 325i E91 wagon (we have one as the family car) as they are big and comfortable but still fine for to and from work daily duties.

Don't overlook the 120D & 123D versions either. They are more reliable. We have also found the 116i's more reliable than the 118i's & 120i's. I don't know why though.

2 hours ago, *rUstY_nUts* said:

We have also found the 116i's more reliable than the 118i's & 120i's. I don't know why though.

probably because it is psychologically limited to 2500rpm and 50km/h

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, qube said:

probably because it is psychologically limited to 2500rpm and 50km/h

Sorry Kyu...that's rubbish

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

Sorry Kyu...that's rubbish

:D tongue in cheek :P 

Do the fuel use calculations. Get the average use:

E90 320i 7.4l per 100km x 140 km is 10.36l x fuel cost per litre 95 $2.20 = $22.8

E90 330i 8.7l per 100km x 140km is 12.18l x fuel cost per litre 95 $2.20 =  $26.8

Answer is $4 difference per week

BFD

if you are on a limited budget, more reason to stay well clear of any 4 cylinder 1 or 3 series bmw.

you and your wallet will cry.

you can pick up slightly higher mileage 325i sedan or wagons for sub 10k quite easily now, if you find one from a dealer get mechanical warranty with it and keep up to date with maintenance.

2 hours ago, ryanhorton1973 said:

Thanks Herbmeister. A fair a valid point but the larger engine 3 series are all out of my price budget wise.

Perhaps look at at a e46 six cylinder then, as a four cylinder e90 will cost you much more in the long run.

Trust us, these n46 engines are bad, and will break your bank account in no time.

It’s not a case of might, more a case of when. I warned my brother and law about purchasing a BMW with the n46 as his run around. Probably 2 months in and the thing has cost him dearly.

Get a 6 or try another brand within your budget. The older e46 or even e39’s are a solid buy, you’ll just have to catch up with maintenance if the previous owner hasn’t been as diligent. 

Edited by str8_6
1 person likes this

Yea, the bmw diesels are pretty damn good.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 0:24 PM, *rUstY_nUts* said:

Don't overlook the 120D & 123D versions either. They are more reliable. We have also found the 116i's more reliable than the 118i's & 120i's. I don't know why though.

no valvetronic ?

28 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

no valvetronic ?

Still a valvetronic motor

49 minutes ago, *rUstY_nUts* said:

Still a valvetronic motor

ok thought some of the smaller engines wernt   N43 engine