Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

Scrap car removal Kapiti Coast

Struggling to find someone to remove a free body shell and scrap metal. All the scrap metal sites claim top dollar paid and cars collected daily, etc, etc but none get back to me. Lots of keyword spamming on those sites.

Any recommendations? 

1518553086828921177813.jpg

Almost everyone charges these days. Steel hasn’t been worth the diesel to pick it up in 6 plus years (I work in the waste industry). Try Macaulay metals, as far as I know they are the only direct steel exporters left in the region, with yards in both Seaview and Palmerston North

• Like 1

Took some scrap into Macaulays Pnth last week had 80kgs  all sorts light panel, pipe, car seat frames etc got $22.80 for it. Not sure how they rate a car body for price though. If you can't get anyone to come and collect it release a bit of agro on it  cut it up stack it in a trailer and take it to them problem solved.

• Like 3

What's a single car battery worth these days?

Guess I'm just used to the long stint I did in the UK where anything metal that wasn't tied down was gone off your driveway within a day. You didn't even need to phone hahaha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Guess I'm just used to the long stint I did in the UK where anything metal that wasn't tied down was gone off your driveway within a day. You didn't even need to phone hahaha

Yup.
I lost half of a friends engine stand that way.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, gjm said:

What's a single car battery worth these days?

walk in rate more or less a dollar a kilo I think, though I sell direct to the exporter now.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

walk in rate more or less a dollar a kilo I think, though I sell direct to the exporter now.

they have you on a regular pickup from your garage! :lol:

On 3/25/2018 at 12:01 PM, Olaf said:

they have you on a regular pickup from your garage! :lol:

3 sometimes 4 times a week for the past 5 years or so ha.

Called those guy back in early March and again mid April and was assured it was all good for collection.

It's still sitting there

as I said above, not worth the diesel to collect it.

Edit: though that doesn't mean they get away with saying they are coming to get it and then no show.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

Got another pig for collection. This time rolling but still same problems getting shot of it. ?

36 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Got another pig for collection. This time rolling but still same problems getting shot of it. ?

I was trying to get a Range Rover collected from Featherston. On wheels, rolling, engine, gearbox and axles all present, we'd even moved it from the driveway to the roadside. Called companies quoting it was for scrap, suggesting a lift rather than drag might be ideal. One came out, refused to take it because it 'wasn't complete' and 'we break vehicles and you've taken parts off it'. 
What part of 'scrap' didn't get through?
The driver didn't take the vehicle and drove off.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

I was trying to get a Range Rover collected from Featherston. On wheels, rolling, engine, gearbox and axles all present, we'd even moved it from the driveway to the roadside. Called companies quoting it was for scrap, suggesting a lift rather than drag might be ideal. One came out, refused to take it because it 'wasn't complete' and 'we break vehicles and you've taken parts off it'. 
What part of 'scrap' didn't get through?
The driver didn't take the vehicle and drove off.

Why would they bother driving all the way there and NOT take it? Seems crazy to me. I have cut up several bodies with a recipro saw and grinder (car bodies, honestly!) and taken them to scrappies on my trailer, usually just covers the petrol cost to drive there but how else are you going to get rid of them!

• Like 1