Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

E39 OEM 16:9 Headunit...Re-installation

Hi Guys,

On an E39 does the head-unit on the 16:9 Nav unit connect directly to the aerial booster on the C pillar or is signal received via one of the units in the boot? Trying to diagnose why I have no am/fm signal.

My E39 used to have a dynavin installed but was removed, now I've refitted the factory unit....Would or does the dynavin install usually involve cutting into the aerial connection somewhere I can check?

Cheers,

The aerial from the c pillar connects into the radio module in the boot.  I'm also suffering from very poor reception.  Apparently it could be anything from the rear screen itself, to the aerial amp modules in the c pillars, lack of power to aerial amps, the radio module itself, and connectors.  I've tried a fair bit and given up for the meantime after connecting up the aux cable and going Spotify off phone... :) 

If a Dynavin was fitted in place of a factory monitor then another loom would have to have been run from the Dynavin to the radio module in the boot.

If the car is equipped with standard radio in the dash the the Dynavin is plug & play

Don't have the aux input unforutnately hqstu, a year or so short :(

OK so I need to check the radio module in the boot, will try some continuity tests I'm thinking...I had a quick look and facelift E39s don't seems to have a lot of resources for diagrams? Good source/link anyone?

Would the power to the radio module potentially have been disconnected  I'm not getting a thing but static on am/fm bands.

43 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Don't have the aux input unforutnately hqstu, a year or so short :(

OK so I need to check the radio module in the boot, will try some continuity tests I'm thinking...I had a quick look and facelift E39s don't seems to have a lot of resources for diagrams? Good source/link anyone?

Would the power to the radio module potentially have been disconnected  I'm not getting a thing but static on am/fm bands.

Have you checked all the fuses in the glovebox? Mine came with a weird setup and I had to plug fuses in. Also, nothing but static sounds like the antenna might be disconnected? If you got bad reception you have a lot more options for what could be wrong, but no reception should, in theory, be simpler...

I'd start with the aerial wire connector into radio module first (mine is a BM53) (check that the very thin centre pin is making contact, a very slight bend on it may help to put it slightly off centre and improve contact), then move to c pillars and check continuity of screen aerials and the white aerial amp boxes / connections etc... check power supply to c pillar boxes has 12v.

It's also suggested the radio module itself is at fault (see service note I found), new ones are available but there are many part numbers listed and you need to ensure you get the correct equivalent one for your setup. A few $$$ though..

BMW_ServiceNote_BM53 radio.pdf

Edited by hqstu
clarification

Apologies in advance if pictures are large, uploading from phone

12v to antenna confirmed.

continuity across aerial is fine.

I understand the grey feed from the c pillar is the main antenna feed? Where’s its home? And I feel like this plug end been changed?? Have few connections around without a male plug too, never looked at my old E39s this closely so no idea if that’s standard.

F7349C0B-C852-4DED-8544-3513D2493489.jpeg

880F095C-BF9F-4F48-B544-5E166AFE44A6.jpeg

6BB05EE0-60EE-4150-A964-B4A13CF6B710.jpeg

If you haven't sorted by the time we do your keys, we can compare wiring. Mine works. :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lucan said:

Apologies in advance if pictures are large, uploading from phone

12v to antenna confirmed.

continuity across aerial is fine.

I understand the grey feed from the c pillar is the main antenna feed? Where’s its home? And I feel like this plug end been changed?? Have few connections around without a male plug too, never looked at my old E39s this closely so no idea if that’s standard.

F7349C0B-C852-4DED-8544-3513D2493489.jpeg

880F095C-BF9F-4F48-B544-5E166AFE44A6.jpeg

6BB05EE0-60EE-4150-A964-B4A13CF6B710.jpeg

The lead in your fingers has a standard aerial plug - not original. Is yours ex Japan & had a band expander fitted? 

The male part is probably an adapter, it should pull out of the black base. That lead should then attach to the socket in the radio tuner to the left.

Edit: it would have been adapted to suit the Dynavin

Edited by hotwire
more info added

On 2/21/2018 at 11:46 AM, hotwire said:

The male part is probably an adapter, it should pull out of the black base. That lead should then attach to the socket in the radio tuner to the left.

Edit: it would have been adapted to suit the Dynavin

Nailed it, pulled an adapter off, I would've never tried that. 

And just like that I have Radio again. Cheers @hotwire

• Like 2