Sign in to follow this  
alijanjan

E90 2006 ZF transmission fluid

Hi all

I am planning on changing the transmission fluid on my 320i 2006 E90 as a maintenance task otherwise there seem to be nothing wrong with the transmission, it shifts very smooth

i believe its a ZF GA6HP19Z 

i am buying the pan/filter but am not too sure on the type of fluid to use. 

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

here's a thread I made earlier for the ZF 6HP26 (same trans, just greater torque rating)... I believe this has the info you seek.

make sure you replace the bolts and the mechatronic sleeve (seal) too.  

If you're DIY-ing, you'll need to have the car dead level, and you need the software (or an infrared thermometer) as you sort the level out at cold (initially) and then warm (running - but not hot)...

• Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 5:47 AM, Olaf said:

here's a thread I made earlier for the ZF 6HP26 (same trans, just greater torque rating)... I believe this has the info you seek.

make sure you replace the bolts and the mechatronic sleeve (seal) too.  

If you're DIY-ing, you'll need to have the car dead level, and you need the software (or an infrared thermometer) as you sort the level out at cold (initially) and then warm (running - but not hot)...

Thanks for the reply 

I've got the kit now as well as the mechatronic sleeve 

My usual bmw parts store has this oil which seems to meet the specs, $20 per litre so not too bad

Motul Multi ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1L

Specification: Dexron IIIG/IIIH/IID/IIE, ZF 03D/04D/14A, Esso LT 71141, Shell M-1375.4, ZF Lifeguard 6

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alijanjan said:

Thanks for the reply 

I've got the kit now as well as the mechatronic sleeve 

My usual bmw parts store has this oil which seems to meet the specs, $20 per litre so not too bad

Motul Multi ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1L

Specification: Dexron IIIG/IIIH/IID/IIE, ZF 03D/04D/14A, Esso LT 71141, Shell M-1375.4, ZF Lifeguard 6

$20/L is quite expensive eh. You can usually find 20L for under $200. If you wait for Repco/SCA to have sales, you can get the good high end Penrite stuff for ~$175/20L.

$20/l does seem quite high. I got 20L for $95 a week ago. It's a different transmission fluid, but the costs shouldn't vary that much. Ask for trade pricing perhaps? I see you're in Sydney so can't give you advice on which stores are better - but often the retail ones (like supercheap and repco) buy from the more mechanical minded ones (like BNT).

Tim

On 3/1/2018 at 0:21 AM, Gabe79 said:

$20/L is quite expensive eh. You can usually find 20L for under $200. If you wait for Repco/SCA to have sales, you can get the good high end Penrite stuff for ~$175/20L.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:01 AM, drtimwright said:

$20/l does seem quite high. I got 20L for $95 a week ago. It's a different transmission fluid, but the costs shouldn't vary that much. Ask for trade pricing perhaps? I see you're in Sydney so can't give you advice on which stores are better - but often the retail ones (like supercheap and repco) buy from the more mechanical minded ones (like BNT).

Tim

Guys, he's talking about the ZF 6 speed.  It's *very* finicky about what oil it uses.  The *KEY* spec is Shell M-1375.4    If you take a look at the specs for Penrite ATF-FS specs (which I rate for the 5SP), you'll find i) it doesn't list Shell M-1375.4, and ii) there's a specific note about "not for use in ZF 6 speed...".

In summary, finding an oil that meets both Shell M-1375.4 and ZF Lifeguard 6, $20/litre isn't too bad... even if they are Aussie Dollars!  

cheers

• Like 2

Thanks All for the comment, as Olaf said the key is shell m1375.4 which I couldn’t find in penrite or nulon range

cheers 

I too am still looking for the right ATF for my E92.  Have heard from various sources that certain reputable shops uses a Fuchs ATF, and Glenn has recommended the Amtex fluid (but those guys won't sell me any :( ), hence i'm still on the hunt.

I came across the Penrite Full Synthetic BMV. 

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/ATF BMV.pdf

It states : 

"ATF BMV may be used in ZF 6, 8 and 9 speed automatic transmissions where Lifeguard 6, 8 & 9 is recommended"

and also:

"REPLACES OEM PART NUMBERS

ZF No. S671 090 255 (Lifeguard 6), ZF No. S671 090 (Lifeguard 8), ZF No. AA01.500.001 (Lifeguard 9)"

I've contacted Penrite NZ and they suggested this one would be suitable.  

Quite tempting given the lack of options in NZ.  Any thoughts / experiences?

On 3/28/2018 at 1:34 PM, curryinahurry said:

I too am still looking for the right ATF for my E92.  Have heard from various sources that certain reputable shops uses a Fuchs ATF, and Glenn has recommended the Amtex fluid (but those guys won't sell me any :( ), hence i'm still on the hunt.

I came across the Penrite Full Synthetic BMV. 

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/ATF BMV.pdf

It states : 

"ATF BMV may be used in ZF 6, 8 and 9 speed automatic transmissions where Lifeguard 6, 8 & 9 is recommended"

and also:

"REPLACES OEM PART NUMBERS

ZF No. S671 090 255 (Lifeguard 6), ZF No. S671 090 (Lifeguard 8), ZF No. AA01.500.001 (Lifeguard 9)"

I've contacted Penrite NZ and they suggested this one would be suitable.  

Quite tempting given the lack of options in NZ.  Any thoughts / experiences?

Hi, Did you end up using Penrite ATF BMV?

I have contacted penrite and they have suggested this for ZF 6HP25,  e65, 750i. Thank you.

Hi - no I didn't.

Ended up going with the Pentosin ATF-1, had to pay a premium getting it shipped from the states.  But for me, it was worth it for the piece of mind.

i have the same transmission. i decide to go with vavoline maxlife atf and will let you know how it goes...

On 4/10/2019 at 3:45 AM, lche059 said:

i have the same transmission. i decide to go with vavoline maxlife atf and will let you know how it goes...

How did you get on?

On 12/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, limepanda said:

How did you get on?

it went ok(i did go back under the car a few times to fix mechatronic sleeve seating, it's a PITA)... after change, i experienced a jolt whenever it downshifts from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1. i googled the problem and found out some people also have the same problem even using the zf fluid. so it appears to have nothing to do with fluid used. i then updated the EGC module to the latest version and that appears to have remedied the problem somewhat...the jolt is still there but you probably won't feel it unless i tell you...to completely remedy the problem, they say you'll have to replace the solenoids inside, for which i don't have the money or time now...

update 13/02/2020

2000kms after, the transmission shifts like a dream... the 2nd to 1st jolt is totally gone... i'm not sure exactly what caused it initially but if you do the job right and make sure you update the EGC module and give it some mileage to break in the new fluid, it should be good, Valvoline Max life ATF that is, you can get it for about $65 for 4L, way cheaper than OEM fluids. in the end i'm just glad i don't have to change the solenoids. 

Edited by lche059
update

A few years ago Penrite recommended their synthetic fluid (BMV wasn't as good as their synthetic fluid at the time) for the ZF6HP in the Falcons, it was only recommended on their website for approx. 3 weeks. I heard of a number of cases where the trans ended up with harsh and shudder shifts after using that fluid.

A couple of fluids available in NZ that are suitable for the ZF 6HP and latter trans are

Fuchs Titan 6006 

https://www.fuchs.com/de/en/special/product/product/128545-titan-atf-6006/

Q8 Auto MV

https://www.q8oils.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Q8-Auto-MV_en.pdf

A good oil is still cheaper than rebuilding a 6HP.

Silly question; Fuchs Titan 6006 states it's suitable for the ZF6HP transmission but does that also mean it meets the minimum specs (ZF TE-ML 11B and Shell M-1375.4) or are the 2 mutually exclusive? I'd really like Pentosin ATF1 but the shipping costs are a bit crazy (based on the current exchange rate)! Has anyone found an NZ distributor for Pentosin or ZF LG6? TIA

Edited by ///M

On 4/29/2020 at 6:19 PM, ///M said:

Silly question; Fuchs Titan 6006 states it's suitable for the ZF6HP transmission but does that also mean it meets the minimum specs (ZF TE-ML 11B and Shell M-1375.4) or are the 2 mutually exclusive? I'd really like Pentosin ATF1 but the shipping costs are a bit crazy (based on the current exchange rate)! Has anyone found an NZ distributor for Pentosin or ZF LG6? TIA

I know its been a while but I've started buying a ton of parts from RockAuto and actually found out that they have a lot of fluid options at good prices, and they will ship it! 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/bmw,2008,335i,3.0l+l6+turbocharged,1441663,transmission-automatic,transmission+fluid,11387

Don't forget you can always find a 5% off code somewhere. 

Edited by limepanda
  • Like 1