Sign in to follow this  
Allanw

My Replacement Family Mobile...

Once I get myself proper sorted... there might be a factory manual E39 525i for sale :P

We have a pair of VW Tourans, the "other" one for the Mrs....

...and this one for me! about 2 years in the making:

16998879629_1b9cd71704_c.jpg

17184460951_74868e69ce_c.jpg

28781427352_d6228cbf45_c.jpg

28885952515_d259e755ed_c.jpg

39415671875_9c2b1f90f6_c.jpg

32727641163_ba41510a6c_c.jpg

25425834427_bf4492c9a8_c.jpg

36408729412_8e96f075cc_c.jpg

33289221150_34a7ef91f9_b.jpg

39633956144_841e90b72f_c.jpg

It's a 7 seat VW Touran, with a Golf R32 3.2 VR6 6 speed manual 4Motion 4WD drive train B)

I have to make a special "THANK YOU" to Andrew, aja540i - without him, I'd never have finished this, or at least spent sh*t loads more money! He did some serious engineering work, carried parts up and down the country, got special jobs done I couldn't sort out my slef and really made the whole thing possible! Thanks Andrew B)

• Like 6

This is so awesome!! (love how you reversed back for the second run haha)

• Like 2

I love your soundtrack too! Kids are so genuinely excited eh.

• Like 2

Great work Allan, especially with the extra help from Andrew....well done :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Now you can start converting the blue one.....;)

that's even more awesome than I'd pictured it, when you first mentioned this project.  More pics!  More details! What's left to do?

• Like 1

Still have one ABS fault to clear (I may just need a large flat carpark to perform the plausibilty test), and tidy up a couple of spots... then off for the cert!

Andrew... I'm not doing the 4WD bit again - just so you know ;) . Just days after buying the Blue one, there was a V6 EOS at Manheim - perfect for a FWD V6 Touran :D I didn't go there though.

yet.

11 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Thats a serious effort Allan !!

Thanks - especially for such an "unloved" type of car. It's really a slightly taller MK5 Golf, it's only 100mm longer - so it still handles a lot like a Golf - great for most of the driving we do. They're a really good family car - amazing space for the size, and quite nice to drive.

The Touran is rated to tow 1500KG braked too, so now it might actually be able to move something B)

There were a few loooooong nights sitting in the engine bay with pages of wiring diagrams... I can tell you! Lots of hours with paper spread over the lounge floor. Andrew made the amazing fuel tank for me, made some subframe modifications, and sorted out several other parts for me. I'm not a welder... unless it's big, thick, chunky stuff... like me! I did the driveshaft loops, the spare wheel well and the exhaust mods... but that might fall off yet! :lol: It also probably needs another exhaust mod, the sound isn't quite right at high revs and load. I don't want it loud, loud.

I'm glad I did it, but also glad it's (basically) done, over! I don't think I'll ever do anything remotely like it again - I've done manual conversions and engine conversions, and that's fine, but the engineering involved in this swap (with the 4WD) is a whole 'nother level! It's not just bolt in. There is a good chance the other Touran will get a manual conversion and/or and engine swap one day (the FSI petrol and 09G trans both have some "issues"), but that's a simple job - a long weekend, or a week off work to complete!

Once it's legal, I'll get some more vids, but it's funny watching people; they don't believe the noise is coming from this car. They hear it, double take, then appear to look around for something else :lol:

• Like 2