Sign in to follow this  
Docile

e38 cranks but doesnt turn over

Hey Guys,

740i M60

The car just wouldn't start last night after parking it at the supermarket and I had to get it towed home. 

Car cranks but doesn't turn over. checked crankshaft sensor and it has 540 ohms. 

I plugged in my diagnostics, but it would not connect to the ECU or transmission. but it does connect to airbag?? I plugged in my diagnostic to the car last week and it showed no error but now it can't connect.

Usually when I have the key on position two, you can hear the electronics in the engine bay initialise itself to start. like the idle control valve would hum and the cruise control cable would do its self check. but right now nothing. 

where is the fuse for the ECU?
anything else i might check / missed?

recent work on the car:

new ignition barrel 1 month ago.

window regulator

its looking like the ecu had packed it :'(

thanks guys 

battery is in tip to knick..but right now im charging out of the car.

yes. it cranks but no start :(.

AA came over and sprayed 'start ya bastard' on the intake last night and wanted to start. ill buy a can and see if it wants to start tomorrow. if it does its got ignition, just no fuel?

its just baffling that dme and trans cant be connected to anymore?

where would i start to check power to DME? i've check all the fuses and all are good (glovebox, driver side and trunk.)

Personally, I'd follow the diagnostic steps in this video (I know, it's not a BMW, but the basics are the same).

cheers guys,

found it!!.

main power relay in the ECU box. the white one was dead. I managed to find a replacement a voila. it started first thing. 

• Like 3