Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

Talk to me about the E65...

28 minutes ago, coop said:

To the OP, E65s can be had so cheap, is it worth bothering with a warranty and having to spent considerable dollars on servicing and repairs through an authorised garage for the off chance something catastrophic does go wrong?

I seem to be very poor at communication in writing. :)

I was saying one of the things that puts me off the E65 is that it seems more complex to work on (as compare to my M54b30 e39.) I could go the route of the MBI, and drop wrenching on my car altogether and just take it to an authorized garage (as I was under the impression this is what I had to do to maintain the MBI...) but to me, that is a major put off, as I like wrenching on my car. Some other folks have suggested that I could still wrench, and just get a certified mechanic to sign off that the work had been done. Keeping my parts receipts from FCP Euro as evidence I actually replaced parts, etc...

I am going to just go spend some time reading the Autosure website and see what their fine print says about wrenching on my own car...

28 minutes ago, coop said:

A little off topic, what is the go with referring to working on a car as 'wrenching'. Some blokes been reading too many yank forums? Ten years as a diesel mech across Australia and NZ and Ive never heard anyone refer to it as that. Do y'all grab your wrenches outa the trunk before you pop the hood?

I do read American forums. I also happen to be American. :)

3 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

As for the off topic comment - totally agree garbage language - red riding hood wore a hood but then the poms call the thong a bonnet thats equally lame.

It's a hood. You're just wrong. There is also a trunk. :)

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

On average it is true, you are using the exceptions and implying it is the norm and you are using the residual value of the vehicle and comparing the cost of NEW parts  a $5000 pump is not 50 or 100% of the $140,000 new price tag.

We used to have a rule in Yacht Racing that maintenance is about 10% of the boat price and on our $2 mill boat the owner spent at least $200k a year - you can buy that boat for 300k now BUt the real maintenance bills if you want to go racing are at least $200k

As for the off topic comment - totally agree garbage language - red riding hood wore a hood but then the poms call the thong a bonnet thats equally lame.

I guess it goes on a case by case basis - if intending to keep the car for a year or so then maybe no need? In any case on a used high end tech loaded car over 100,000km and coming up or over ten years old it is quite a gamble to take imo. 

No one will be paying six figures for an E60 M5 in2018. As you probably know they can be had for $20k. Just say there is vanos or SMG dramas in the period of ownership over three years (possible). Doesn’t look like such a cheap car after all. Same with my example above of the W211 E63.

op perhaps if you want to work on your own gear invest $2k or so and buy the software off eBay compete with Dell 630 or Panasonic toughbook laptop? Then you’ll have no dramas owning more modern complex BMWs further down the track... could also use it for cashies etc (I have done the same with Mercedes xentry C4 software and laptop).

1 minute ago, coop said:

op perhaps if you want to work on your own gear invest $2k or so and buy the software off eBay compete with Dell 630 or Panasonic toughbook laptop? Then you’ll have no dramas owning more modern complex BMWs further down the track... could also use it for cashies etc (I have done the same with Mercedes xentry C4 software and laptop).

I have the software for the E39/46/38(? never tried E38, I assume same software) and I have software that purports to support newer cars too, I just have never tried. I do have a laptop just for car software stuff.

Makes me wonder what additional software I might need for the E65, if any.

E65 = Ghetto Cruiser.  Usually sporting terrible 22+" wheels.  Tints so dark you can't see out let alone see in.

The only people who buy them in the states are the people who can't afford to run them.

They litter Facebook Market place.  There is a 02 one on there for $1500 at the moment.  Usual stuffed tranny.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/120952045325359

There is even an 08 750il on there for $6000.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/169567530333687

4 hours ago, Driftit said:

E65 = Ghetto Cruiser.  Usually sporting terrible 22+" wheels.  Tints so dark you can't see out let alone see in.

The only people who buy them in the states are the people who can't afford to run them.

They litter Facebook Market place.  There is a 02 one on there for $1500 at the moment.  Usual stuffed tranny.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/120952045325359

There is even an 08 750il on there for $6000.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/169567530333687

This doesn't add up. Not enough bling. Them rims need to be gold plated to be truly Ghetto!

35 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Totally agree - thats why I avoid autos novelty and trinket loaded cars they are just a bad investnment 

The rest is just wrong you are making the same comparison - new parts prices against depreciated vehicle value - it doesn't work because the parts prices are based on the new car price. 

I spent $4 grand on a clutch in my supposedly  $10-15 k X5 was that a bad investment - hell no - I have another 250,000 km to go in one of the last Manual X5's ever made and I don't have to fork out $40 grand for a later model that is less reliable 

Sorry but it is a valid comparison because the reality of it, is if a component on one of these aging cars fails, then new parts will have to be fitted to the car (would you bother to fit a second hand turbo, or oil cooler, or timing chain kit, if you could find one? Regardless of OEM or aftermarket equalivent, it still won’t be cheap), and you’re forgetting the cost of labour which can sometimes make up most of the repair cost). 

Someone who purchases a comprehensive warranty/insurance applicable to the car wouldn’t have to worry about this. 

Your example of the X5 is fine but someone who has to fork out $14k for e63/c63 camshaft & followers or $12k for an E60 SMG pump probably won’t see it as such an investment haha. 

• Like 1

Agree with coop as you can't maintain your way out of a failure. 

It's all about risk mitigation.  Maintenance is one form, MBI is another, either one is good but both is better.

• Like 1

When I started this thread, I had some assumptions in place, some seem to be correct, some not so much.

I had thought that a MBI would mean I wouldn't be able to maintain the car myself. - Reading the autosure brochure, this seems to be correct. They want repairs to be conducted by an "Authorized Repair Facility" which they define as "Authorised Repair Facility: Repairs must be undertaken by an Autosure approved repairer." They do proceed to discuss this further:

"SERVICING YOUR VEHICLE You are required to keep your vehicle serviced at your cost to ensure the cover under this policy remains in place. You may have your vehicle serviced at any recognised Service Facility. Vehicles must be serviced within the following distance or time period, whichever comes first, from the date of purchase of the vehicle: Petrol powered vehicles must be serviced every 15,000 km or 12 months Diesel powered vehicles must be serviced every 10,000 km or 12 months"

I had thought the E65 would be more mechanically complex than the E39 to work on. Perhaps that isn't entirely correct. 

I had thought the E65 would be electronically more complex. This seems to be correct, however, perhaps not relevant, since this isn't the thing that goes bad on these.

I'm left with the impression these might actually be quite decent cars for hauling the family around over longer distances. I am not a 'spirited driver' and in some ways, the 530i Msport is wasted on me. Maybe the E65 would be nicer, I might go test drive a couple and see how they feel.

I am still left wondering about the boot/storage space. Will it be markedly different than the E39 sedan? Seems like not so much, but I'd have to check. The alternative here being an E39 Touring, or maybe an E61? 

EDIT: Am I correct in assuming that this same discussion applies to the E61? Or is that a whole different kettle of fish?

Edited by Gabe79

So uh... drove by the E65 today with my wife in the car, and mentioned the idea to her...

"What? That?! No, it's ugly. Looks like a bad Honda!" (I don't know where this sudden hatred of Honda comes from...) but there goes that idea. E39/61 Touring might be the ticket, although some plans afoot and if all goes well, I will simultaneously have a large garage, and a lack of need for two cars. <_<

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, qube said:

Thanks! Hadn't seen that.

I'm fairly sure I've been in this car. It's been for sale for a looong time. Nigh on a year now. They might have fixed the massive oil leak it had when I saw it. It left a nice little puddle in the parking lot when I saw it. Curious what other work they might have done.

On 1/03/2018 at 5:26 PM, 3pedals said:

Sure but what you are doing again is using the extremes - camshafts and followers  in most other cars are not  $14 grand and the root cause of failure is likely to be a maintenance issue.

The SMG pump is likely to be design related but that is a risk of that type of transmission system as are the problems with DCT types - buy them and take the risk -- or as we all basically agree you could mitigate it ( MBI) BUT  you could also choose to eliminate the risk by not buying SMG / DCT  type cars therefore it is not a risk you have to manage. 

If we took  a risk based approach to buying a vehicle rather than an emotional one half the cars on planet would have died in gestation and manufacturers would be less inclined to use the buying public as crash test dummies. 

The issue was raised about the electronic complexity of the car - my key  point was and still is the electronics are unlikley to be the problem,  mechanicals and poorly maintained mechanicals are. 

And on the point of you can't maintain your way out of failure - not 100%  but you can do a sh*t load better than average, we do it at work with trucks doing 2-300,000 km per year they don't break down and some of them are well over 3,000,000 km without a breakdown. 

how many cars of that age need cams and followers or big end bearings or whatever so I'd call that an extreme. To purchase a BMW without an MBI is a lottery or gamble in anyones book. people will always gamble, some win too.

the problem with risk based buying is you don't know the risk until heaps of people have bought and discovered the issue by which time its too late. Second hand buyers get to research and learn from others misfortunes or get a repaired model with the bugs ironed out once parts have been recalled and swopped. you'd never consider a giulia based on that theory

with the amount of floods and other overseas issues previous Water ingress is a real unknown risk when buying an import. Why electronics are on the floor under carpet or tucked into boot wells is still beyond me. there has to be a better location

if everyone bought based on risk the whole world would be driving toyotas based on any conversation with someone who manages fleet vehicles will tell you. To be fair other brands are now cutting into those glowing records of past fleet ownerships

to say some of your trucks are doing 3,000,00km doesn't prove that maintenance is working and your beating the average, it may well be but it may also be brand specific. Your not proving that owning a fleet of Isuzus is more reliable than a fleet of kenwoods and "the some" are the ones that the boss is concerned with. Why are they off road and for how long

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

We don't operate cake mixers - suggest you read the post slower and adjust the inclination of your location - you might come up with some insight rather than the dross you have spurted out above. 

haha gotta love autocorrect and failure to proof read doh

21 hours ago, kwhelan said:

with the amount of floods and other overseas issues previous Water ingress is a real unknown risk when buying an import. Why electronics are on the floor under carpet or tucked into boot wells is still beyond me. there has to be a better location

I'd worry more about that on NZ new - at least the import has to pass compliance, NZ new just has to pass a WOF - plenty of dodgy cars on NZ roads after "repairs"! Or a trip down 90 mile beach.

In NZ, it's only de-reged if it was water damaged and insurance claimed. If insurance can't be claimed, it's the hose, a dehumidifier for a week, then onto Trademe, or (more likely) Turners. :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Sharp looking car! No ISOFIX tho. #dadlife

Mine now doesn't have ISOFIX either. I don't mind anymore. I've learned to love Britax Clicksafe. It's ideal for those classic cars without ISOFIX in the back. :)

EDIT: Clicksafe also works around those obnoxious cars without ALR seatbets.

Edited by Gabe79

5 hours ago, treone said:

Nice! Trade the Leaf... ;)

Did you know Leafs appreciate in value right now? There is such demand for EVs in NZ, my Leaf today sells for $3k more than I paid for it a year ago... Plus, that is my wife's car. One guess as to which car would have to go... Plus, you drive the ugly thing now, shush about the Leaf! :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Did you know Leafs appreciate in value right now? There is such demand for EVs in NZ, my Leaf today sells for $3k more than I paid for it a year ago... Plus, that is my wife's car. One guess as to which car would have to go... Plus, you drive the ugly thing now, shush about the Leaf! :)

OK its on! :D 

Did you know the three Holden's I now own are, and will be, appreciating faster (regardless of how ugly they are) than an EV? Did you know that one in particular has 'appreciated' by over 3x its purchase price in the 18 months and is not slowing down? And that's just one of them!

Not only that but...

How many times have you driven your - sorry your wife driven her - Leaf and other drivers pull along side, wind down their window and yell out things like - "Sweat ride!', 'Niiiiice!', 'sounds mean bro!', 'Is it for sale?!'"?

How many times do you - sorry, your wife - get approached by enthusiasts wanting to know more about your - sorry, her - Leaf? :D

I think we mutually agree that I drive an ugly thing. However, I'd never make my wife drive something fugly. Like a Leaf ;).

Some friendly advice - just buy what ever you feel like, e65, e39, Tesla, Prius or whatever (actually it really doesn't matter what you fancy), and your wife will drive it. Eventually. It is probably better than the alternative! :)

Of course this reply is totally in jest and no offence is intended! ;) ;) :D

• Like 2

In all seriousness now though. I think that 530i Touring would be a great alternative, and addition to your Leaf. 

You're already familiar with the e39 530i. You have the knowledge, experience and ability to work on these. And it is probably super practical for how you intend to use it. A bit like the reasons I got that ugly thing (sorry had to throw that one in lol).

Hence one of the reasons I'm keeping my Avalanche wagon - after four years nothing comes close to it for the purpose I need it for.

Hope it works out for you!

Edited by treone
  • Like 1

Just now, treone said:

In all seriousness now though. I think that 530i Touring would be a great alternative, and addition to your Leaf. 

You're already familiar with the e39 530i. You have the knowledge, experience and ability to work on these. And it is probably super practical for how you intend to use it. A bit like the reasons I got that ugly thing (sorry had to throw that one in lol).

Hope it works out for you!

I think the e39 Touring is precisely the larger car to partner with the Leaf. I agree entirely. I've got a lot going on right now with house selling/buying/getting screwed, and once that's over, I'll focus on this.

Just now, Gabe79 said:

...I've got a lot going on right now with house selling/buying/getting screwed, and once that's over, I'll focus on this.

Hope it all works out on all fronts. Was in a similar position last year with the house buying and not getting screwed thing. Believe me it will all fall into place and you will get a e39 touring. It just may take a little longer for the dust to settle!

The practicality of an E39 touring is amazing. We have owned both the sedan and the wagon and the wagon was in so many ways superior.

Its hard to find a nice E39 touring so makes sense to jump on it if you can find one that ticks as many boxes as possible.

• Like 1