Sign in to follow this  
Stevo44

Chip key

Hi Stevo44 from Christchurch . A while ago I locked myself out of my X5  :rolleyes:(Yip no spare key ) So to obtain a spare im wondering if a got a chipped key from a dismantler wunder if it could be programmed to my car (even tho its from another X5  . Anyone tried this  

Edited by Stevo44
Bad spelling and had another Q toask relating to topic

Crap :(

Think you'd better go and order a key from BMW. It'll be $4-500 and will take a while.

Also talk to a locksmith to see if they can help you get in (on the assumption your key is in the vehicle).

I'm sure in both cases they will need proof of ownership & identity. 

Keys are pricey but ALWAYS have a spare :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo44 said:

Hi Stevo44 from Christchurch . A while ago I locked myself out of my X5  :rolleyes:(Yip no spare key ) So to obtain a spare im wondering if a got a chipped key from a dismantler wunder if it could be programmed to my car (even tho its from another X5  . Anyone tried this  

PM me your VIN, or your registration, and I'd be happy to summarize your options...

EDIT: Apologies, I misread this. You're screwed, call a locksmith. My comment above relates to making more keys. Apologies.

Edited by Gabe79