Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

S85 rod bearing replacement

It's ALIVE!!  Picked up this afternoon, just in time to run it in before the fuel tax hits! Total bill was about $6.3K, that included a Turner motorsports power pulley kit, a power steering hose that had shat itself, a new belt tensioner, and a bit of extra labour un-siezing the lower control arm bolts so the wheel alignment could be done! Haven't taken it for a decent run yet, but will bring it to the meet on Sunday. Also discovered it needs a new pair of rear tyres, decent cut on the inner shoulder of one. Will have to put it back on a dyno after running in and see what (if any) difference the pulley makes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, aja540i said:

It's ALIVE!!  ... will bring it to the meet on Sunday ... needs a new pair of rear tyres ...

Yahoo, group skids on Sunday! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

Total bill was about $6.3K....

No... that's not accurate. The car part of the bill was $6.3K. Another $6.3K will be spent on Danish plastic and assorted crafting goods for "the accountant", to balance it out... am I right?

Total bill = $12.6K :lol: Haha!

Lucky yours does better skids.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, aja540i said:

It's ALIVE!!  Picked up this afternoon, just in time to run it in before the fuel tax hits! Total bill was about $6.3K, that included a Turner motorsports power pulley kit, a power steering hose that had shat itself, a new belt tensioner, and a bit of extra labour un-siezing the lower control arm bolts so the wheel alignment could be done! Haven't taken it for a decent run yet, but will bring it to the meet on Sunday. Also discovered it needs a new pair of rear tyres, decent cut on the inner shoulder of one. Will have to put it back on a dyno after running in and see what (if any) difference the pulley makes.

I am looking get a E60 M5 and doing some research to how much should I budget for the first few years of the car.  I am looking to get the bearings replaced early in the ownership if the car turns out to be good on the aspects.  Total bill included labour, parts and extra stuff (mentioned above) is all in $6.3k?  And you used Taylor Auto for the job?  Thanks and appreciate the information.

2 hours ago, Jun said:

I am nooking get a E60 M5 and doing some research to how much should I budget for the first few years of the car.  I am looking to get the bearings replaced early in the ownership if the car turns out to be good on the aspects.  Total bill included labour, parts and extra stuff (mentioned above) is all in $6.3k?  And you used Taylor Auto for the job?  Thanks and appreciate the information.

I ended up spending about 7 Including a power steering hose that was leaking, Earnst at Bavarian motors did the work.

• Thanks 1

Do you have a break-in period for the bottom end? And if not, is there a seat-of-the-pants difference with the pulley kit?

I ran it in for about 600 Km, then did an oil and filter change. I haven't noticed any difference in power, but we are talking about the difference between 507 and  a few more than 507 so i'm not sure if it would be noticeable, and to be honest when you are using all the powers there are more important things to concentrate on!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ yeah, I also wondered just how much you might expect from them... going from "silly power" to "slightly more silly power" (it's a station wagon after all lol) probably can't be felt through the undies.

What pulleys are involved? If PS pump is there any concern about over driving it? Some of the E36 long-termers in the US seem to think they kill PS pumps... not sure how much veracity there is to those claims though.

It's just the crank pulley so everything is slightly under driven, less than 10 %, i can't see it being enough to actually damage anything considering the rev range of the S85 anyway. My main concern would be the water pump being under driven, but it doesn't have a temp gauge so it can't overheat can it!

• Haha 3

And we all know BMW's cooling systems are bulletproof!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, aja540i said:

.... to be honest when you are using all the powers there are more important things to concentrate on!!

The Horizon is one of them... It sneaks up fast :lol: