Sign in to follow this  
AzonicNick

E46 A & C Pillar repair

Hi guys,

Has anybody had any luck / tips on repairing some loose fabric on the A & C Pillars on a E46? Black if it matters! 

Just coming loose the the base of the A pillars and the sides of the C pillars. Was thinking some 3M Super 77 spray as have some floating around.

Cheers,

Nick

This just happened to me - the c pillar lining came off. 

I bought some spray glue and will give it a go. But I am not confident. I think I will have to buy replacement pieces. 

I'll let you know if the glue works... (or let me know if you give it a go).

Cheers

I used some type of ADOS adhesive from bunnings to do the whole headliner and pillar trims with new fabric on E36's before.

very easy to DIY and works great

per qube's comment, I just did the A pillar trims on mine the other day. Using the same adhesive (ADOS), but there are a few different types all ranging under $20.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/products?q=ADOS spray adhesive&redirectFrom=Any

There is a High Strength can, which to me seems overboard for fabric, then there's the 'Multi Purpose' one which allows you to reposition within a few minutes which is very useful for porous materials that can bubble if you lay it down wrong.

The water based one, I believe is the one you'll want to avoid.

Oh, and for what it's worth.. if you're going to remove the A pillar trim just be mindful of the plastic tabs, they can be brittle and snap off which is what happened to a couple on each of mine. I'm hoping to epoxy glue them back on, and then attach the metal retainers over them prior to reinstall so that I don't re-snap during the process.

It may depend on how much fabric has come loose for you but I found it much easier to do this work on a bench rather than in-car (esp with spray glue).. It also allows better time to cure (24hr) being laid flat on a bench rather than installed in car, avoid it being exposed to heat etc during the curing phase.

Cool all good info! Thanks all.

I will remove from the car before I go at it with the adhesive and will leave them to cure before re-installing them. Will watch up some DIYs before I pop them off to try and avoid the snapping of brackets.

Will update when done

Side note, I purchased a pack of trim removal tools (6x assorted, red coloured and made of plastic) from Repco prior to pulling the second pillar off but still snapped a couple of tabs! My guess is it's just a natural thing for plastic in old cars to do, or perhaps how I used the tools. The tools itself I know will come in handy for many other tasks, esp ones that involve removing something without damaging the cosmetics of seen surfaces, dash, paint etc

i tried refurbishing mine 2 years ago, couldn't get good results / consistent finish so methodically, as budget allowed replaced them all with new ones.

this ensured factory fit with BMW OEM materials, color and quality.