Sign in to follow this  
modz

E46 318i (N42B20) to M54B30 conversion wiring

Before I commit to the project, is there anything I should be aware of from a wiring perspective for an E46 318i N42B20 to M54B30 conversion?

I'm aware that I'll need ECU and DME so will line all that up from the M54 donor.

TIA

• Like 1

what year is the car and engine , ecu etc , auto or manual swap ??

Original car 2001 N54B20 318i auto touring

M54b30 will be ex 330i 2001 also, but will run ZF 5 speed.  Upgraded mechanicals - brakes, subframe, PS, driveshaft, diff etc

I've just converted an E46 330ci to ZF 5 speed so am more familiar with them now :) 

I have watched your video's on youtube converting the Ti also

yup pretty much the same thing ,, only thing different in the ti is the diff carrier and the rear exhaust ,

3 hours ago, modz said:

Before I commit to the project, is there anything I should be aware of from a wiring perspective for an E46 318i N42B20 to M54B30 conversion?

I'm aware that I'll need ECU and DME so will line all that up from the M54 donor.

TIA

We have done plenty of these conversions and decided to make things easier with a ews delete/EU 2 tune/SAP delete and Manual software version.  Have plenty of these DME`s available.

All wiring and plugs required are available as well.

It 's the little things that you want even think of that will trip you up. Their are a number of differences on a conversion of this nature

Vehicles New Zealand new or Japanese imports

Wiring for auto to manaul and you mention Zf different again,

vent piping eml different diameters,

A/c left side for the N42,46 right side for the M54 pipe work change over, wiring lengthen and re-route,care of the connector on the a/c pump they brake real easy.

Ignition key an  barrel all door locks etc check to see if remote access is inferred or radio on both vehicles

Heater control valves, system auto or manual type

Exhaust, pipe diameter mounting points. mufflers

These are a few things that come to mind. It makes for a great project hope you keep a record and let us all share.Plenty of info and people Ray and Brent who have practical experience an can help out best of luck

Edited by allan
  • Like 2