Sign in to follow this  
agent75

New E30 radiator does not fit E30

Hi all.  

I have a second hand but new Fenix radiator from an E36 which I bought some Time ago to adapt to my e30 318i. I decided to sell the car now and couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of making a new bracket and finding new hoses to fit soooo.... Call me a mug but I bought a new radiator for my e30 318i from a trademe retailer who listed it as 316i 318i e30

when it arrived it was the same bloody radiator that I already have! It seems these radiators are marketed by FENIX as one size fits all but they aren’t . Has anyone had this experience? To me it is a CONSUMER GUARANTEE ACT issue. I’ve opened a dispute but may struggle to prove my case.

Seems a bit odd.

However, early and late (M10/M40) radiators are very different. So the ad saying 316i/318i could easily be correct although perhaps not providing all the information.

BMW p/n suggest E36 rads are different again, but it's quite possible they'll fit, in the later E30s at least.

I only dug up this thread because I had the exact same issue. Fenix rad for an E32, about 30mm too wide. I note on their site they advertise two E32 compatible radiators. One being 30mm smaller! Interesting to see the exact same issue though. So buyer beware - if you're getting a Fenix confirm the dimensions! 

I bought mine from a seller on trade me who allegedly was selling stock from a radiator shop that closed. Not horrifically upset about it as I paid less than $100. Considered asking fenix if they'd trade it in as a core return but my old rad still works for now. Can't adapt it in as the rad fits exactly between the frame rails. Absolutely no space to move. 

Interestingly the fenix is far lighter than the original BMW - I'm guessing less aluminium, thus thinner tubes? Something to consider.