Sign in to follow this  
Camu

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe

Howdy,

I'm on the hunt for an E36 M3 in blue, yellow or white preferably. But will consider other colour combinations.

Ideally looking for a '96+, 3.2L Euro spec and "low" milage.. which isn't critical based on the cars age! Service history is a must though.

Let me see whats out there!

There has been very little E36 M3's listed recently, must be getting more and more rare now

18 hours ago, Blackie said:

Trademe would be your best bet 

I've been searching TradeMe for awhile now. They are either convertible or US spec. Oh and LHD.. lol. 

They jumped up in price about 18 months ago, so more people are holding on to them.
Sold my cobbled-together M3 for 10k, was for sale for 16k (and sold for around that) a few months later.

1 hour ago, Rubix said:

They jumped up in price about 18 months ago, so more people are holding on to them.
Sold my cobbled-together M3 for 10k, was for sale for 16k (and sold for around that) a few months later.

Bare in mind it had an S50B32 with rebuilt vanos etc put into it which would have added value.

7 hours ago, Camu said:

Bump.

There's a low mileage 3.2 SMG in techno violet for 30k and an avus blue PFL which has had evo running gear put in it for 18.5k.

Seen both, I almost purcahsed the SMG one when it was for sale for 20k earlier in the year. Decided against the gearbox.

I'm not keen on swapped engines etc. 

Thanks though!

8 hours ago, KwS said:

I'm really after the 3.2, sorry.

@M3AN when I looked at it earlier this year it was for sale for $20k. I don't know why this dealer thinks they can flick it for $10k. Maybe they know something I don't..

Yeah, there's a thread here where I suggested it was a great buy for 20k and still a good buy at 22k. But surely 30k is taking the piss. 

Nevertheless, I won't complain if it sells for that, I think mine is at least as valuable as that one. 

Haha, fair enough, they are getting a few and far between - I don't see them being E46\E92 prices though.. 

56 minutes ago, Camu said:

Haha, fair enough, they are getting a few and far between - I don't see them being E46\E92 prices though.. 

E92 (and in fact anything after the E46) won't have a value bounce-back IMO, they don't have the "soul" to justify it and they're simply not scarce enough.

The E46 M3 will (with the exception of time capsule examples of other models) be the last to find itself with appreciating value long-term. And to be honest, I don't see the E46 having a significant uptick (biggest uptick for the E30, less for the E36 and even less for the E46, nothing beyond that). This is already playing out - E30 M3 = 30k more than 10 years ago, E36 M3 = 7k more than 10 years ago, E46 M3 still down on 10 years ago (naturally) but a few are bouncing back up from ~25k to ~28k.

I could be wrong but I don't see anything in the later models that would generate enough next-gen interest for value increase - all they have to offer is more HP and all manufacturers offer than now. The driving dynamics that positioned earlier M3's out-of-category will never be repeated by M. You might be better off with a Lexus LFA now than a BMW M3/4. Unfortunately.

An E9x M3 at 20k will be a monster but will cost a silly amount to maintain and there will be 100 other monsters at the same price point. The same simply can't be said for earlier iterations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yeah, there's a thread here where I suggested it was a great buy for 20k and still a good buy at 22k. But surely 30k is taking the piss. 

Nevertheless, I won't complain if it sells for that, I think mine is at least as valuable as that one. 

I'm not overly an E36 fan but having seen that car in the recent past  - it is absolutely stunning in both condition & spec & with relatively low milage. I would suspect it is probably the best example in the country. No disrespect to yours though Dave.

$30k is what a retailer is asking, probably on the high side, but find a better one! That one is the ducks nuts!

Good E36's are bouncing back now in value, proportionally up through the models.

Agree with your other sentiments, can't see collectablity beyond the E46. Cars are becoming more of a commodity it seems.

• Like 1

No offence taken and fair cop also. ?

I'd love to see this one in Ak to fawn over, I really do think it's a mint and rare example example. Might be the best optioned NZ new?

Sunroof and SMG don't work for me but that's subjective. 30k though? Not yet.

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

No offence taken and fair cop also. ?

I'd love to see this one in Ak to fawn over, I really do think it's a mint and rare example example. Might be the best optioned NZ new?

Sunroof and SMG don't work for me but that's subjective. 30k though? Not yet.

Is your M3 non sunroof Dave? If that's the case, your car really is my dream! #shamelesslyinlovewithyourcar

3 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Is your M3 non sunroof Dave? If that's the case, your car really is my dream! #shamelesslyinlovewithyourcar

No sunroof and aluminium doors... ?

• Like 1

Someone sell me one that ticks my boxes already.. haha.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Blackie said:

You have too many boxes. You will be waiting a long time bro.

Fair comment, haha.

In defence: I don't think there are all that many boxes though, 3.2, lower KMs OR a service history isn't a huge ask in my eyes, haha. I think those are standard  boxes for most people. :p I'm not after a cheap car and I am willing to pay well for the one that ticks these said boxes.