Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

1999 E38 750i Individual

Had three updates for the USB app as well so any issues may have been picked up in those, as I run a live hotspot on my phone for traffic updates, it auto updates as necessary 

Cleaned it, still some work to do but coming along, I love the look of the BBSs 

DA62E0B1-82BF-421E-934B-ECDDFC5868FD.jpeg

• Like 5

Which one sits outside?  The A8??

24 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

Which one sits outside?  The A8??

Haha, not according to the wife, the V12 as that’s the daily Lol. When the paints touched up it’ll be tucked inside.

lucky we are building 3 car garage house ;) 

• Like 1

After much trial and plenty of error with getting the colour match for the blue interior right to ensure the leather is nicely restored and all the scuffs and wear removed, simple answer has been Kiwi liquid polish in Navy. $12.

Ive now been able to make the interior look as good as new but it’s getting to dark for pics so will shoot some tomorrow. Sometimes it’s the easy answers that are the best.

will see how it lasts but initial impressions are very good. Now how to get Navy polish off fingers .....

Edited by Breaker
  • Like 1

Is the kiwi liquid polish the normal stuff from the supermarket?   I need to get try something like this on the steering wheel of my Skyline - the shiny finish on the leather has worn off in places.....

Just now, NUSTAD said:

Is the kiwi liquid polish the normal stuff from the supermarket?   I need to get try something like this on the steering wheel of my Skyline - the shiny finish on the leather has worn off in places.....

Yip, had to get Navy from Mister Mint but same stuff. I have some great Black colourette I used on the Audi and Sport which was even better.

• Like 1

Do you ever end up with it wearing off or transferring on clothes? 

58 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Tell you tomorrow ? looking good at this stage

• Like 1

Still looking great today, colour match is great. Amazing how new the whole cabin is feeling. Drove up the drive tonight though and a random airbag light has come on :( scanner out time

F25BEDD6-BC38-41AB-8291-5F7DD4EEC25A.jpeg

CD723FC0-00D1-4A60-AC2A-72BD271C0CD5.jpeg

40FE93FA-5E5E-469E-B2EC-343708D6C143.jpeg

1C927AA2-E3E4-4287-AC41-44D2C589F84E.jpeg

6D2FAB14-C14B-4C06-87D9-272EE1C9C827.jpeg

4FF03C68-1918-4C6C-80EC-975B9418EFD4.jpeg

35F7158D-3CD5-4F7F-BB7A-F288E2353F59.jpeg

• Like 3

the extra weight on the seats from the dye probably triggering the airbag light

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, qube said:

the extra weight on the seats from the dye probably triggering the airbag light

Haha, passenger seat already has the occupancy sensor disconnected. But just scanned it and there was a error code around bulb issue under the srs? However cleared and gone so we shall see how it goes :)

The interior is looking great Brent. 

How are you enjoying dailying it?

On 5/20/2018 at 8:57 PM, NZ BMW said:

if you guys are looking to match colour and revive leather, I recommend Colorlock system from European Leathercare.  

I bought one of their leather repair kits, consisting of brush, cleaner, toner (colour), and shield (protectant), also comes with fine sandpaper and coloured filler for deep cracks (haven't had to use that).  In addition I bought Elephant Leather Preservative.  I've done my Volvo's interior (black leather) twice over last 18 months and it looks almost like new, and doesn't come off on your clothes.  Not bad for a 20 year old car  that has seen years of family service, and lives outside.

https://europeanleathercare.co.nz

https://www.colourlockleathercare.co.nz

Much better than shoe polish!

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

if you guys are looking to match colour and revive leather, I recommend Colorlock system from European Leathercare.  

I bought one of their leather repair kits, consisting of brush, cleaner, toner (colour), and shield (protectant), also comes with fine sandpaper and coloured filler for deep cracks (haven't had to use that).  In addition I bought Elephant Leather Preservative.  I've done my Volvo's interior (black leather) twice over last 18 months and it looks almost like new, and doesn't come off on your clothes.  Not bad for a 20 year old car  that has seen years of family service, and lives outside.

https://europeanleathercare.co.nz

https://www.colourlockleathercare.co.nz

Much better than shoe polish!

Agree mate, use this on any Black I have, it is brilliant.

Trouble is matching the blue has been a pain, tried there blue and darkening it as well, never right, to pasty. Lucky the liquid polish has worked great so far. I doubt it will last the same, but while I source a better match ...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kulgan said:

The interior is looking great Brent. 

How are you enjoying dailying it?

As you know Dave it’s a very pleasant place to be so using as the daily, now I’ve got audio ;) is no hardship. Well till the gas station anyway. $209 to fill Thursday, em. I’ve figured if I can stay out of grid lock it’s MPG is pretty good, so if I want to daily it I need to get out of bed earlier lol ? 

It seems to enjoy the constant use as well, using a little oil, but marginal for 260ks

• Like 2

ha ha. I remember well the trips to the servo..

With the colder weather you'll enjoy those heated seats as well.  :-)

• Like 1

just noticed that it has the steptronic gearbox not the automatic! 

17 hours ago, qube said:

just noticed that it has the steptronic gearbox not the automatic! 

Most of the facelifts got this which is a good thing

Minor but noticeable update on the interior, LED upgrades for all the internal lights. Love the sharper white light these give off.

Noticed a big difference in heavy traffic crawling as well, with AC on it’ll idle along at around 14kph, with the AC off it’ll tick over at 4kph, big difference on the draw and lift in idle that isn’t normally noticeable.

Been mucking around with the coding, DRL setup on, 3 Stage indicators etc. 

Pulled the trigger on a full suspension refresh kit, all control arms, bushings and tie rods on its way. Can’t wait to return to a 1999 ride, little bit bumpy and crashes over some roads etc so this will go a long way all going to plan.

• Like 5

Suspension replacements all arrived, start that when the 740 gets a warrant,Yes. fail that. No. Steering idler arm replacement needed. 

Ordered that and got another for the 750, while under the 740 left engine mount is going, ordered that and will do both obviously ?  at the same time. Bingo with the 750; why not change everything at once. Oh and the steering fluid reservoir is leaking on the 740 so might as well do that as well, might be another couple of weeks before I start on the 750 ....

All up a couple hundred bucks extra from FCP so can’t complain and its worth the effort to tidy up.

????

Are you doing the subframe bushings too?

FCP are on point with their item prices though esp when things are on sale (seems to be often) and shipping prices. Rarely use Pelican these days with their near 2x the price of FCP shipping the same stuff with the same carrier. 

• Like 1

Better add them to the order ....

Personally id do the arms\bushings\balljoints first.

Subframe bushings can be done later on easy enough and they seem to last on the E38\E39's . New ones would probably yield some result  but its more of a somewhat subtle difference in my experience unless they are really bad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

Are you doing the subframe bushings too?

FCP are on point with their item prices though esp when things are on sale (seems to be often) and shipping prices. Rarely use Pelican these days with their near 2x the price of FCP shipping the same stuff with the same carrier. 

I read that Pelican have been quietly swallowed by the ECS hegemony, who previously acquired Turner Motorsports.  I read a blog post by a senior manager from Turner Motorsports recently, something to do with "Why I hate ECS tuning".  I couldn't find it, though I was disturbed to find the Facebook group "why I hate ECS Tuning"  

FCP Euro are still doing right by me after around 12 years. ?

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 3