Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

1999 E38 750i Individual

Yeah it was compelling reading. I can't find the fb linked post either, but it is reproduced here

14 minutes ago, Mikan said:

Yeah it was compelling reading. I can't find the fb linked post either, but it is reproduced here

The lesson here is make sure you get a reasonable piece of the company, rather than working your guts out for years and leaving with nothing like this guy did. 

Good read. Pelican haven't appeared to suffer the same fate yet.

Front suspension changed, control arms etc. Not that hard except for the damn tie rod ball joint on the steering arm. Idler arm came off ok.

Ended up taking it off with the tie rod, using the ball joint remover on the garage floor at full tension (much as I could anyway) and ended up slicing the end of the bolt off, took plenty of care with that amount of tension on the tool, reverted to a BFH and a metal wedge thing. Back end next.

Pic of parts being replaced.

F8EB400E-B365-4203-8DC0-D518DB1E6736.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that one of those ebay kits? 

Yes it is, balancing cost, quality and life. We will see how it goes.

Good fitment so far and it’s wasnt the cheapest but ends up 1/2 the price of Lemforder ex ECS or FCP.

Yeah i suppose it comes down to how long they actually last for. I guess if your not racking up the k's they may be ok.  

All my E39 daily control arms are Meyle (done 50,000 now) but many Lemforder items like the rear ball joints, Integral links etc are around the same price so saw no reason not to choose them in that situation

• Like 2

Well all done, bit of a mission but well worth it.

while I was mucking around I pulled the hydraulic boot motor and reservoir out, topped it up and got that back to 100%. Boot works great now :)

Now wheel alignment to tidy up the suspension change and just about done! Yes 

• Like 3

I do miss the V12 and sea of blue. Nice to be able to pop in here for a visit every now and then..lol

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 7:30 PM, kulgan said:

I do miss the V12 and sea of blue. Nice to be able to pop in here for a visit every now and then..lol

Always welcome Dave, will let you know when we’re down your way

• Like 1

Been mucking around to much and not had the 750 sorted, however fixed the airbag light issue, horn problem, replaced a few door clips to isolate some squeaks and it’s driving great post the front suspension refresh.

Off for alignment and and WOF this week now, then it should be fully fit for service again. Loving having it driving again, and much smoother.

Pulled the front struts out, likely next requirement was the shocks replaced, noticeably better with suspension tidy up but still rough. Removed the strut, finally got the top but off with a bit of heat and tested the shock. ZERO rebound ! Stuffed. Springs have been taking all the load clearly. 

Well order some Bilstein B6 replacements and new mounts .... hello ECS.

Now do I get lowering springs now, for another $500 probably will

• Like 2

Awesome that your still loving it. ? 

And I'm still missing it..lol

• Like 1

Cool - does it have EDC shocks?   Curious to hear how the bilsteins go when and if you go there.......

11 hours ago, NUSTAD said:

Cool - does it have EDC shocks?   Curious to hear how the bilsteins go when and if you go there.......

Yip EDC and SLS currently so both will be deleted.

Ordered the Bilstein with the lowering springs yesterday. Just a inch or so drop so very subtle and in line with the 750 style. Will update when done :)

• Like 1

B12 pro kit all in, replacement rear suspension arms and links while I was there.

Definately a firmer ride but still very compliant, really nice feel. Needs an alignment now to finish off.

First impressions are it’s nicely aligned to the natural balance of the car and will make it more of a B road runner which was what I was after so currently very happy.

Drops a few cms so looking sharp 

7FA22BD7-2142-4EA0-980B-6337E285E688.jpeg

AC701B97-2659-4928-AF63-7C558F624C57.jpeg

• Like 3

Awesome.   I see this in my future too......my e38 only has 110km on it but has noisy suspension.......I like the concept of your change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

Awesome.   I see this in my future too......my e38 only has 110km on it but has noisy suspension.......I like the concept of your change.

Happy to take you for a run in it Glenn so you can get a feel on it ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Breaker said:

Happy to take you for a run in it Glenn so you can get a feel on it ?

Yep very keen for that at some stage.  Cheers!

• Like 1

Had the day off to get a few things done. Started with wheel alignment post the suspension upgrades.

Off for a warrant, VTNZ. Ok here we go.

much discussion from the team there on the new suspension. FAILED, requires LVV cert, WTF. (Replaced Self Leveling Suspension and deleted it)

Also failed excess smoke, brake bias. ( has been sitting around a bit). Stupid notes about the spare wheel not being bolted down.

Righto, minor argument at the time, off I go somewhat steaming.

Changed the oil (was going to do it anyway), few emergency stops on the brakes.

Bit of LVV website printing, back I go.

into the revert line, everyone vanishes .

into the office, say I want to challenge the findings thanks, in my nicest management tone. Please wait by the car sir.

5 mins later, nice manager comes out and we have a wee chat, he knew all about it. To his credit said he’ll have another look, on it goes over the pit.

2 of them prode, shine the lights around, ask me about the replacements and then are worried that all the control arms are for a different car. FU summaries my update to them, in general terms.

after much umming and erring, me waving the standards about, they decide it’s acceptable and recheck the brakes, How are they I ask? Perfect no problem now sir. Ok how’s the excessive smoking ( I’ve near even seen smoke out of it)? Revs it a bit, yip that must have fixed it sir.

Great, Warrant passed then, yip.

So once it’s on the window, I ask how do I go about avoiding this next time and get told it’ll be fine because it won’t be all shiny and new any more, oh yeah of cause the dirt clause, missed that in the WOF Requirements ....

I need a drink. At least I can drive to get one

• Like 3

Sound like typical WOF testing places, most are on the same level as your average tyre shop. Used fix so many cars for failing with brake bias, service and handbrake. They seem equate their set brake roller test % with set variables to actual real world performance. IIRC smoke test is rev it up 2-3k for 30s, they probably had it idling for ages and didn't even do that the first time. How much of the SLS system did you remove? Sounds like they only noticed due to new parts?

There was a couple of Stubbs from tubing on the inside wheel well left, plus some evidence of leaking although dry of where they had drained on the inside well.

Yip only noticed due to the new parts, comments like ‘suspension must have been bad if you replaced all that’, like I was an idiot for maintaining things, like most NZers I suppose.

Not commen for them to actually see something good before it’s a death trap

• Like 2

At least you know where not to go next. The place i go always comments on BMW being tidy, i tell him its not really its just you guys are used to seeing crap. They always agree.

• Like 1

Great you got a WOF.....VTNZ must have had the riot act read to them by LTNZ as they just failed my GTR for having adjustable castor rods......they have been on there for a decade......insisting on a cert.   FFS.......

they don’t want to carry any risk.