Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

1999 E38 750i Individual

11 hours ago, NUSTAD said:

Great you got a WOF.....VTNZ must have had the riot act read to them by LTNZ as they just failed my GTR for having adjustable castor rods......they have been on there for a decade......insisting on a cert.   FFS.......

they don’t want to carry any risk.

Exactly, too scared covering their arse more then is it a safety risk, wrong agenda altogether 

Edited by Breaker

VTNZ, jeez I've had them write down on the WoF form that it's a litre and a half low on oil.  They don't even know how to read a dipstick.  Better they stick to their core function!  Thankfully I've never had any stupid observations about suspension component replacements, and my local always seems to have a BMW keen-bean.

B12 Pro Kit must be nice, Brent.  Given there'd be a TUV cert for it, shouldn't be hard to run that against the standards and guidelines.  Thankfully they've never blinked at my Volvo, self-levelling (Nivomat) also removed.  They were self-contained units with soft springs; replaced with Sachs OEM & H&R Sportsprings.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

VTNZ, jeez I've had them write down on the WoF form that it's a litre and a half low on oil.  They don't even know how to read a dipstick.  Better they stick to their core function!  Thankfully I've never had any stupid observations about suspension component replacements, and my local always seems to have a BMW keen-bean.

B12 Pro Kit must be nice, Brent.  Given there'd be a TUV cert for it, shouldn't be hard to run that against the standards and guidelines.  Thankfully they've never blinked at my Volvo, self-levelling (Nivomat) also removed.  They were self-contained units with soft springs; replaced with Sachs OEM & H&R Sportsprings.

A much better option for the Volvo I bet Olaf. And yes they also mentioned I was a quart short of oil !

• Like 1

VTNZ wof check for my partner's Mazda Poo (2).

Passes with an advisory that rear brake pads will need replacing in the next 12 months.

It has drum brakes in the rear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Managed to score some genuine low mileage replacement tail lights for $50 each. Bargain really. Nothing much wrong with the old ones but certainly not as dull and in better condition so they can move to the parts cupboard.Some before and after pics.

18972E9D-0215-4F50-B1AA-C8BA5AAA5F11.jpeg

153C6508-5CE3-4B04-8EE6-D881CA46B271.jpeg

70EC365A-5535-4234-ADE4-B38C63538A78.jpeg

B75AA8B8-F414-4E2F-86CA-7BBBCCEB182A.jpeg

C95F7190-6498-4E52-8EBD-AF01F3F28967.jpeg

• Like 6

Auxiliary water pump hose was a bit fried and leaking so replaced that and the lower radiator main hose while I was at it, not to tricky but full radiator out to get to it. Luckily I could get around the aux fan and didn’t need to remove it

• Like 2

Replaced heater control valve and tensioner pulley, old one was pretty fried! Putting it mildly, whole thing collapsed 

Still got a squeaking belt so have ordered a replacement hopefully that cures it ...

E9FF8FDE-7C30-4770-BF33-83366C147687.jpeg

29E21888-9E56-4E4B-8629-5B61602DFD55.jpeg

9979DBFF-3998-4A39-AA67-65E56BFF1889.jpeg

4DDF745E-5AA1-4DEB-BD13-D88E5473B8C2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You got your moneys worth out of that pulley!!! ?

• Like 2

Just now, Allanw said:

You got your moneys worth out of that pulley!!! ?

Every cent ? plus I can reuse the bearings rolling round the under tray ??

• Haha 1

Front bumper replaced out, it’s not perfect but substantially better and passes the 10foot test.

Ready for paint With the rest of the car now. Should be sorted by Xmas.

27D92F73-B79F-44D5-A62C-B8F8790A694F.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok so been away for a paint, bit of a mission. Used a guy I heard off, knew it would be cheap and really wanted to tidy it up.

Unfortunately it’s a great 2M job, and good 1M job and definite areas of average up close, em well, it was a cheap respray.

On the upside all the messy coloured panels are now the same, fading and peeling clear coat all gone, front bumper done and colour coded rocker panels completed. If I want a better job I’ll probably get it wrapped, at least the base is better now.

Now I’m after sorting the wheels, 19’s or 20’s and likely a dish look, if I can stretch to some softlines all the better. Then headliner replacement.... on it goes

Still better then being the bird I hit on the way down to the tron last week ?5F6A56B8-D566-4D32-BC25-EB179EBB13C4.thumb.jpeg.80586e7e1327059d5f81c59a93eea4c7.jpeg

3C30295B-2748-47D4-A6AF-EE7551E17836.jpeg

021AF119-E82F-42E5-BC7A-6D2553AD7A20.jpeg

9E8BD64F-2EE8-4D52-970E-E9EC562902C7.jpeg

97D8FA3F-DA91-45BA-9B97-496105B4B461.jpeg

A207BC1E-EB08-495A-A7B2-BFF611FCFDF5.jpeg

• Like 3

Got some staggered style 95s if they are of interest?

37 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Got some staggered style 95s if they are of interest?

Spotted them Gaz, they do look good on the 38s ..... 

will think on it 

• Like 1

Hold out for softlines.........

i quite like style 128 

1813493A-EE83-4F39-81AC-4DE799C97DDD.jpeg

Em yummy as well,ah the choices 

Well I got a set of Style 101s which where a cost option upgrade on the E65. Staggered 20s which I wasn’t super sure on, but in the end am very happy with the result. I think they suit the style without being super OTT.

Rides great and zero rubbing, perfect offset and fit.

They need a little work however for $800 with Pilot Super Sports that have 3-4mm left I can hardly complain ?

A1A84925-F44E-467F-A79F-9E504BE96D2A.jpeg

24F52EFA-A938-4B17-B6A0-E8330B4A2EF1.jpeg

1AAEFDEE-CEB2-41A8-BFD3-55609E16A87F.jpeg

• Like 7

Bargain for quality man jewellery.   She is certainly evolving into a celebrity e38!

I like it very much.

• Like 1

That looks awesome. Didn't even know those wheels existed.

• Like 1

Righto, bit of an update.

Cars been away for a couple of months getting a birthday. Was in no hurry but it’s great to have her back. She drives awesome and I forgot how much I love this old girl.

few things ticketed off the list

WOF and check

Replaced rear pads

Transmission service and filter

Front brake hoses replaced 

Engine mounts replaced 

Cooling system pressure tested, found small leak. Radiator and lower hoses replaced 

Reinitialised Remote and key, had lost remote key and boot access

Top battery replaced 

Oil and filter changed

Still a couple of things to do, transmission mount needs sourcing, seemingly impossible to get in NZ so I’ll get one brought in. Rear joint on drive shaft has a bit of play so will get that done as well.

Have new rear passenger glass as current its delaminating a little being double glazed. 
Then Xmas it’s getting the full polish, see if I can sort out that dodgy paint job. If not then it’ll likely get a wrap.

• Like 1

No wrap!  Let it wear its history even if not perfect!  Glad to hear it is getting some love.  

• Like 4

Saw it parked in Gordonton yesterday parked up.  Looking nice!  Silver with silver wheels is great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Saw it parked in Gordonton yesterday parked up.  Looking nice!  Silver with silver wheels is great.

Couldn’t resist a good long run down through Cambridge and back home. 300ks felt great, always more to do though .... 

Firepot is always a good stop

• Like 2

Have just moved to the area so will have to give Firepot a try.

7 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Have just moved to the area so will have to give Firepot a try.

Been a favourite of ours since we where in Morrinsville, still great but not as great as when they had Buttermilk pancakes on the menu.