Sign in to follow this  
BradMosen

Aftermarket sites

There are plenty overseas - why do you want to pay much more for nz sites?

20 minutes ago, zero said:

There are plenty overseas - why do you want to pay much more for nz sites?

Just trying to find something more convenient and similar price. Just wondering what's out there.

You will find it hard to find anything competitive on price.

Just compare buying koni shocks in NZ to importing them from demontweeks in wales.

Or buying powerflex bushings here compared to schmeidmann in denmark.

What parts are you after?

Speedfactor is probably the best I can think of in NZ, but still way more expensive than overseas.

19 minutes ago, zero said:

You will find it hard to find anything competitive on price.

Just compare buying koni shocks in NZ to importing them from demontweeks in wales.

Or buying powerflex bushings here compared to schmeidmann in denmark.

What parts are you after?

Speedfactor is probably the best I can think of in NZ, but still way more expensive than overseas.

So it's generally best to import? Like even with shipping it's still cheaper?

Absolutely its way cheaper.

I have very rarely found an item cheaper in nz, even when including shipping and taxes - 99% of my stuff comes from overseas, and I always shop around for best price both here and overseas.

If you divide up your purchases into sub $400 orders, you dont pay gst or customs duties either.

Of course that isn't always possible with very expensive single items.

What e36 items are you after, and I can point you in the right direction?

• Thanks 1

Just now, zero said:

Absolutely its way cheaper.

I have very rarely found an item cheaper in nz, even when including shipping and taxes - 99% of my stuff comes from overseas, and I always shop around for best price both here and overseas.

If you divide up your purchases into sub $400 orders, you dont pay gst or customs duties either.

Of course that isn't always possible with very expensive single items.

What e36 items are you after, and I can point you in the right direction?

Nothing really in particular, just some bits that will improve the overall look of the car you know? I've been looking at a steering wheel on carid.com and I'm mainly after just interior bits at the moment.

6 minutes ago, BradMosen said:

Nothing really in particular, just some bits that will improve the overall look of the car you know? I've been looking at a steering wheel on carid.com and I'm mainly after just interior bits at the moment.

Steering wheels are WAY cheaper to import than to buy here.

What interior bits do you want? I know of some m3 vaders and door cards that are coming up for sale soon.

Is your car a coupe, sedan, wagon or ti?

Just now, zero said:

Steering wheels are WAY cheaper to import than to buy here.

What interior bits do you want? I know of some m3 vaders and door cards that are coming up for sale soon.

Is your car a coupe, sedan, wagon or ti?

I have a coupe and I've been cleaning up my door cards myself, they're coming up alright but buying some nice ones would be better. I would like some new seats but I think the vaders may be a bit steep for me haha. just trying to make my whole interior nice because it's all a lil bit average.

4 minutes ago, BradMosen said:

I have a coupe and I've been cleaning up my door cards myself, they're coming up alright but buying some nice ones would be better. I would like some new seats but I think the vaders may be a bit steep for me haha. just trying to make my whole interior nice because it's all a lil bit average.

Nice one.

e36 door cards are very expensive new.

Depending on the look you are going for you could consider aluminium or abs plastic ones for the 'racecar' look. Both can be bought or home made pretty easily. If thats not your thing you could consider recovering your door cards - again pretty easy to do at home.

For seats are you considering race type with harnesses (will require cert) or more stock looking bucket seats with a normal seatbelt?

Maybe someone can advise if removing the airbag steering wheel, for a non airbag aftermarket wheel requires a cert?

• Thanks 1

Just now, zero said:

Nice one.

e36 door cards are very expensive new.

Depending on the look you are going for you could consider aluminium or abs plastic ones for the 'racecar' look. Both can be bought or home made pretty easily. If thats not your thing you could consider recovering your door cards - again pretty easy to do at home.

For seats are you considering race type with harnesses (will require cert) or more stock looking bucket seats with a normal seatbelt?

Maybe someone can advise if removing the airbag steering wheel, for a non airbag aftermarket wheel requires a cert?

How much are vaders usually? I had did some research earlier and apparently you only need a cert for a wheel with no airbag if your car is newer than 14 years old. Not wanting to go for a race car look really at this point haha

How much are vaders usually? I had did some research earlier and apparently you only need a cert for a wheel with no airbag if your car is newer than 14 years old. Not wanting to go for a race car look really at this point haha

Vaders are around $600 - $1000 for a pair depending on condition.

e36 door cards are a very very common failure, but restoring them at home is really easy. You can either replace some or all of the fabric, or if you have some unique fabric like the 'rain' from the m3 they can be removed and put in the washing machine.

Make sure you dont scrimp on buying proper glue, as this is a common mistake. Buy the proper spray on stuff from an auto upholsterers, or you will find it either wont stick well or the glue will bleed through the fabric. I've done door cards, headliners and parcel trays.

Just now, zero said:

Vaders are around $600 - $1000 for a pair depending on condition.

e36 door cards are a very very common failure, but restoring them at home is really easy. You can either replace some or all of the fabric, or if you have some unique fabric like the 'rain' from the m3 they can be removed and put in the washing machine.

Make sure you dont scrimp on buying proper glue, as this is a common mistake. Buy the proper spray on stuff from an auto upholsterers, or you will find it either wont stick well or the glue will bleed through the fabric. I've done door cards, headliners and parcel trays.

Is that price per seat or for two fronts?

for two fronts, so $600 - $1000 is the total.

Other factors apart from condition are what fabric they are covered in, whether they are electric or not, and whether they are heated or not.

• Thanks 1

Just now, zero said:

for two fronts, so $600 - $1000 is the total.

Other factors apart from condition are what fabric they are covered in, whether they are electric or not, and whether they are heated or not.

How much are door cards usually? Door cards with a factory look

5 minutes ago, BradMosen said:

How much are door cards usually? Door cards with a factory look

Condition is a big factor as mint ones are so rare.

m3 ones can range from $200 for ones needing restoration to $800+ for mint ones.

Here are some in very good condition;

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/interior/auction-1578138334.htm?rsqid=8ff738e911e74b61af40514223e48f2a

Obviously non m3 ones are cheaper.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zero said:

Condition is a big factor as mint ones are so rare.

m3 ones can range from $200 for ones needing restoration to $800+ for mint ones.

Here are some in very good condition;

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/interior/auction-1578138334.htm?rsqid=8ff738e911e74b61af40514223e48f2a

Obviously non m3 ones are cheaper.

Thanks heaps man, super helpful

Thanks heaps man, super helpful

Anytime.

Feel free to pm me if you are looking at buying new parts and I can point you in the right direction.

For second hand parts try the bimmersport sponsors, like bmworld and hellbm.

• Thanks 1