Sign in to follow this  
limepanda

Key Fob Intermittant

2008 335i with CA

Starting recently the key fob seems to be working intermittently. I replaced the battery twice but to no avail. It appears to be all buttons on the fob that are affected.

I just did some testing by standing in different spots around the car locking and unlocking it many times in quick succession. It worked maybe 70% of the time, but a couple of times when it wouldn't work it took about 30-45 seconds for it to come right and start working again. Initially I thought it was mainly standing in front of the car that was giving issues but after doing that testing I'm not so sure, it seems now to be randomly anyplace around the car. I only have the one key for it so can't try another.

Any ideas?

4 hours ago, limepanda said:

You can buy a cheap fob from ebay (f you send me your VIN I can tell you the kind to get) and test that. If a new fob works, the problem is the old fob, otherwise... it's expensive.

EDIT: Another option is to have someone else's key, init to your car, and test. It's mild hassle for the key owner though, so it'd have to be a good mate. :)

Edited by Gabe79

Hey guys i have just been reading the helpful information. I have just purchased a 2006 540I and it has the same key fob as the one above. the down side is there is only one key fob... i also find the boot button like the issue above works about every third time. so just to clarify if i get one of these cheap fobs off ebay how do you program them or is there a geniune model i can get or are they very pricey?

thanks for your help guys

Goffy

14 minutes ago, Goffy said:

Hey guys i have just been reading the helpful information. I have just purchased a 2006 540I and it has the same key fob as the one above. the down side is there is only one key fob... i also find the boot button like the issue above works about every third time. so just to clarify if i get one of these cheap fobs off ebay how do you program them or is there a geniune model i can get or are they very pricey?

thanks for your help guys

Goffy

Same advice as above. I can't program those keys, maybe someone else can. You can get a locksmith to program/cut it for you for sure.

Hey guys just to let you know, Beveridge locksmiths in Petone are creating another key fob and programming it for me tomorrow. It costs around $390. I'll let you know if i have any issues. 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:10 PM, Goffy said:

Hey guys just to let you know, Beveridge locksmiths in Petone are creating another key fob and programming it for me tomorrow. It costs around $390. I'll let you know if i have any issues. 

How did you get on?

All sorted thanks. The guy turns up in his van, takes out the ignition and fob and programs another and it looks identical. This one his gives us has a battery that can be replaced as well whereas the original cannot although it is supposed to charge up when it is in the ignition. That cost just under $400 to do. i guess it would be a lot more from a BMW dealer! and it works a treat!

All comfort access keys have replaceable batteries fyi