Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

Alpina B5 for sale down South

Lovely, I'd take that over any E60 M5, even if its just for the sound alone.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KwS said:

As an M5 owner I'm not sure I agree ( the V10 is insane, has a more aggressive look and is very well specified) but this is a classy vehicle and will definitely appreciate better given the rarity. A member of our Club has one of these in Auckland and when in Germany was taken for a test drive to demonstrate the 315KM/h top speed (yes, really!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blue gauges and the wood look odd to me

2 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

As an M5 owner I'm not sure I agree ( the V10 is insane, has a more aggressive look and is very well specified) but this is a classy vehicle and will definitely appreciate better given the rarity. A member of our Club has one of these in Auckland and when in Germany was taken for a test drive to demonstrate the 315KM/h top speed (yes, really!).

V8 > V10 for sound, and it wont have the grumpy/expensive SMG the M5 has. Its probably less "hardcore" than an M5, but a 500hp supercharged v8 with understated looks? Yes please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KwS said:

I think this is more of a cruiser than the M5. 

Alpinas are the GT versions of BMWs top models under harder M cars, generally as fast but usually auto and more refined ride. B5 and  some brilliant B7s over the years, including a 6l E38. well worth a you tube trip.

id probably take this B5 over an M5 but that edge in the M5 is hard to go past ... one of each then 

Edited by Breaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the money i think this is a better buy than most e60 M5s, im not a fan of timber in my cars though! There is another one on TM at the moment en-route from Japan with a dark timber interior, oddly has a MPH speedo.

7 hours ago, Michael. said:

Do they modify the engines much to handle the supercharger?

They do modify aspects dependant on which model. Fairly minor on this one, Overall I thought this motor would be a bit fragile but all the forums seem to say it’s ok. Wiki data

Alpina B5 S

At the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show (IIA), Alpina presented the revised B5 S. [44]

Engine

The motor's combustion process was optimized by changing the camshaft. This resulted in a significantly lower exhaust gas temperature, which is the basis for the performance increase. The power of the 4.4-liter V8 was thus increased by 22 kW (30 PS; 30 hp) to 390 kW (530 PS; 523 hp). The torque increased by 25 N⋅m (18 ft⋅lbf) to 725 N⋅m (535 ft⋅lbf). The B5 S takes the sprint to 100 km / h in 4.6s; The top speed increases to 317 km/h (197 mph).[41]

Transmission

One innovation is the ZF six-speed Sport-Switch-Tronic transmission. The switching time was reduced by 50% compared to the predecessor. The reaction time is 1/10 s. In manual mode, the driving feeling is similar to the shift dynamics of a dual clutch transmission.

Chassis

A further feature is the EDC suspension tuning with the company Sachs Race Engineering.

Technical Data

Alpina B5S Sedan Touring
Displacement 4398 cm³
Compression ratio 9,0:1
Horsepower 390 kW (530 PS; 523 hp) 5500/min
Torque 725 N⋅m (535 ft⋅lbf) 4750/min
Transmission 6-Speed Automatic "Switch-Tronic“
Top speed 317 km/h (197 mph) 313 km/h (194 mph)
Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 4,6 s 4,7 s
Empty weight 1720 kg 1810 kg

Or grab an AMG E55, pulley and tune and destroy both M5 and B5.

5 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Or grab an AMG E55, pulley and tune and destroy both M5 and B5.

Had a W211, haven’t got it now, nuff said. 

Certianly go like a cut cat but yeah nah, couldn’t do it. At least the Alp8na will hold some value whereas the AMG will drop like a stone

• Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 6:54 AM, Breaker said:

They do modify aspects dependant on which model. Fairly minor on this one, Overall I thought this motor would be a bit fragile but all the forums seem to say it’s ok. Wiki data

Alpina B5 S

At the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show (IIA), Alpina presented the revised B5 S. [44]

Engine

The motor's combustion process was optimized by changing the camshaft. This resulted in a significantly lower exhaust gas temperature, which is the basis for the performance increase. The power of the 4.4-liter V8 was thus increased by 22 kW (30 PS; 30 hp) to 390 kW (530 PS; 523 hp). The torque increased by 25 N⋅m (18 ft⋅lbf) to 725 N⋅m (535 ft⋅lbf). The B5 S takes the sprint to 100 km / h in 4.6s; The top speed increases to 317 km/h (197 mph).[41]

Transmission

One innovation is the ZF six-speed Sport-Switch-Tronic transmission. The switching time was reduced by 50% compared to the predecessor. The reaction time is 1/10 s. In manual mode, the driving feeling is similar to the shift dynamics of a dual clutch transmission.

Chassis

A further feature is the EDC suspension tuning with the company Sachs Race Engineering.

Technical Data

Alpina B5S Sedan Touring
Displacement 4398 cm³
Compression ratio 9,0:1
Horsepower 390 kW (530 PS; 523 hp) 5500/min
Torque 725 N⋅m (535 ft⋅lbf) 4750/min
Transmission 6-Speed Automatic "Switch-Tronic“
Top speed 317 km/h (197 mph) 313 km/h (194 mph)
Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 4,6 s 4,7 s
Empty weight 1720 kg 1810 kg

I have one of these in Alpina blue (check my earlier post) and enjoy it immensely for its understated looks and phenomenal performance. Yes it is more GT than “race car” like M5. Having test driven a number of E60 M5s I certainly prefer the Alpina spec’d sport auto over the smg unit.

FYI Alpina hand rebuild the motor using up spec internals as well as there own designed supercharger. From what I have read and carry out is that regular oil and filter changes using specified oil will help prevent premature supercharger bearing failure a noted issue.

As quoted from evo.co.uk 

“The Alpina comes with a heavily revised version of the Valvetronic 4.4-litre V8 you might might once have found in a cooking 545i. But once Alpina has had its wicked way with it in its fabulous engine shop, the V8 ends up completely re-built, sporting a very special, super-efficient supercharger strapped to one side and an enormous intercooler sandwiched between water and air conditioning radiators in the nose. 

The addition of the blower results in the aforementioned wedge of power combined with a massive 516lb ft of torque. That's an extraordinary 133lb ft more than the M5 can muster and it's developed at a user-friendly 4250rpm rather than the giddy 6100rpm of the M5's short-stroke V10. And it's that chunky torque figure that makes this new Alpina B5 redefine our super-saloon expectations.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1