Sign in to follow this  
Statek

M44B19 misfire at idle - SOLVED

Old post, but... I know what this is.
I found this: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21403

VIBRATIONS AT IDLE SPEED. PARTICULARLY NOTICEABLE WHEN IN THE SEAT WITH THE VEHICLE STATIONARY. "Due to differing levels of residual gasses in the individual cylinders at idling speeds. This effect occurs at irregular intervals with differing intensity. Retard the intake cam timing by 6 degrees (=12 degrees crankshaft) to 116 degrees crank angle. Changing the valve timing in this manner does not lead to any perceptible drop in torque or output.

In my opinion, we shouldn't mess with it since that's probably a way to improve performance at higher RPM, sacrificing idle stability. Very small difference, I imagine, but still...

19 hours ago, GardenPT said:

In my opinion, we shouldn't mess with it since that's probably a way to improve performance at higher RPM, sacrificing idle stability. Very small difference, I imagine, but still...

This was an automatic daily driver and I wasn't in particular bothered about top end, but the shaking at idle was infuriating. Either way, adjusting the timing slightly has fixed the issue and it remained fixed until I sold the car.