Sign in to follow this  
m325i

f30 335i Active Hybrid - what's the story?

There are heaps of f30 335i active hybrid's for sale, and almost no standard 335i's. 

Why is this? No other country wants them? 

I assume they will come with more problems than a non hybrid, but there doesn't seem to be much information out there about them. 

Any feedback?

Cheers.

Capture.JPG

Edited by m325i

Was wondering the same thing. They look really good on paper

Complexity and weight increase and not that much performance gain over 335, if you want hybrid or electric benefits go 330e.

I didn't even know that 'e' model existed. I would have the same questions about them... avoid?

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

No I personally think the 330e is they way to go, more range of electric. Plug in hybrid. Lighter due to the motor configuration and power output being aligned to 330. 

where as the 335, 535 hybridactive are not plug in. Discontinued 335i hybrid after 2015 for the 330e only. We drove a 535 ActiveHybrid and it was bearly noticeable in changing between power and petrol drive train. Was very nice, Trouble is with the extra weight, you mitigate most of the savings of the hybrid so it was a what’s the point discussion. Although most ActiveHybrids come in great spec as well. BMW seemed to throw the kitchen sink at them.

downside of the 330e, big price tag.

My take is if you want pure performance then 335/ 340 Petrol, commute - good performance and driving in E lanes, 330e.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, m325i said:

There are heaps of f30 335i active hybrid's for sale, and almost no standard 335i's. 

Why is this? No other country wants them? 

I assume they will come with more problems than a non hybrid, but there doesn't seem to be much information out there about them. 

Any feedback?

Cheers.

Biggest issue is the 335i Active Hybrid does not count as an "electric vehicle" for incentives and bonuses, etc. as it is not a "plug in" type hybrid, it purely generates charge from regenerative braking and using the petrol engine as a generator. Also, pretty poor electric range as only small electric battery pack.

Without the benefits of a full electric car, then the price doesn't really stack up, so available pretty cheap in UK and as a result importers are trying to bring them over here to sell and make a profit.

When trialling the 535i Active Hybrid, the only thing we were using the electric motor for was the "eBoost" kick of acceleration, LOL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Biggest issue is the 335i Active Hybrid does not count as an "electric vehicle" for incentives and bonuses, etc. as it is not a "plug in" type hybrid, it purely generates charge from regenerative braking and using the petrol engine as a generator. Also, pretty poor electric range as only small electric battery pack.

Without the benefits of a full electric car, then the price doesn't really stack up, so available pretty cheap in UK and as a result importers are trying to bring them over here to sell and make a profit.

When trialling the 535i Active Hybrid, the only thing we were using the electric motor for was the "eBoost" kick of acceleration, LOL.

What's the range on the electric motor on the 335i Active Hybrid?

19 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

335e is a fake hybrid like the Prius , only difference is it goes and handles like a 335i . The battery is 1.3kW giving it  a range of a few kilometres only . Made for people who have bought into the prius stupdity but want a nice car. 

330e is a smart plug in hybrid well worth considering given that good  FC Ev's are still 5-10 years away. 

Note current gen Prius (and from 2012) are plug-in hybrids too. 

On ‎8‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, 3pedals said:

335e is a fake hybrid.

Thanks for that explanation Donald.

There are more than one flavour of Prius, that have different electric drivetrains and ranges. The one worth having wasn't sold in NZ, and the new non-fake one is just about to go on sale IIRC.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:30 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

available pretty cheap in UK and as a result importers are trying to bring them over here to sell and make a profit.

this sums it up pretty much.

I have also looked into the 335e not because I wanted one but purely because there is no petrol version on the market. I think I've only ever seen one example and didnt last long.

There's bugger all F30 wagons available.  We had our eyes on a couple of 328i's late last year with great colour combos, but no more.  Theres a few sedans available though.  I would strongly suggest the 328i over the hybrid.

At a guess they are still quite popular in Japan, hence we haven't seen them dumping them onto the market yet.

I could be a real pedant and suggest that is because the wagon is an F31, but that would be silly. Very few NZ New 3-Series wagons sold but the wagon is quite popular in the UK so a few imports come in from there, not sure about Japan, usually have to hit that 3 year old mark before they plummet in value and come over here. Will mean they will all be petrol though, the xDrive diesel wagons are a great all round car, especially the x330d!

On 8/04/2018 at 1:25 PM, 3pedals said:

Yes but they still have apissy little battery good for a few kilometres only  - thinks its about 11 so useless if you have areasonable commute , perfect for a 5 k round trip in suburban congestion. 

330e in comparison will do a useful 42 k 

My E Mountain Bike can do 80 plus Km but I still have to pedal. :) 

I've been looking and haven't seen a F30 335i Sedan for sale in Japan. Looks like the only F30 335i Sedan available was the AH3.