Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Road Toll Not working

My Son has recently obtained his restricted license. The whole process sparked several discussions, comparisons to what i had to go through, what my parents did etc. It should be clear to anyone that getting a drivers licence today is harder and more convoluted than it has ever been.

That being said, once you have a license its pretty difficult to get rid of it, and there is almost no 'control' over your standard of driving. I know that i would be hard pressed to pass the theory section of the tests if i sat one tomorrow, and I'm not arrogant enough to assume that i would simply fly through the practical tests either.

I think it would be good if every licensed driver had to take both a theoretical and a practical driving test every five years. I would have it more frequent for under 25's and over 60's. A failure should require completion of some additional driver training. I also think that drivers on a foreign license applying for a NZ license should have to go through the same process.

Not a lot we can do about tourists, but allowing them into a "truck' sized camper on a car license does seem a recipe for disaster.

7 hours ago, kwhelan said:

totally agree I would guess not many deaths involve a badly handled skid for example so you can't expect advanced skid training to save many lives, defensive training which is more spotting the dangers would though.

fully agree, a bit like telling young ones not to put their fingers in a skill saw, until they try it they don't under stand.

4 hours ago, Buklemaschu said:

It should be clear to anyone that getting a drivers licence today is harder and more convoluted than it has ever been.

I know that i would be hard pressed to pass the theory section of the tests if i sat one tomorrow, and I'm not arrogant enough to assume that i would simply fly through the practical tests either.

I think it would be good if every licensed driver had to take both a theoretical and a practical driving test every five years. I

Not a lot we can do about tourists, but allowing them into a "truck' sized camper on a car license does seem a recipe for disaster.

Convoluted yes harder not really - does it churn out drivers with a decent skill level for the current driving environment - NO - why - they have no idea of the principles behind the rules  so  they just have a bunch of rules they cannot relate to.

The theory is easy if you understand  the principles you can get 90% of it right --  as for the practical if you can't pass that after how many years are you not demonstrating the core problem that: once some one has a licence they simply switch off and dont learn? 

5 yearly assessments sure but 5 yearly refreshers would be more constructive,

Yes we can we can revoke the stupid law that made it possible but then the tourist operators would moan again. 

Edited by 3pedals

In regards to civil engineers and bad road planning/execution. Its 90% about the budget the project has, doing it halfassed is cheaper... Unfortunately its often a very false economy.

under the new rules of construction, a PCUB is responsible for the construction of a building , roads or anything else,  price doesn't come into it now.  So when roads (in this case) are being designed, all safety has to be taken into account .... That's  ...oncoming traffic....pedestrians,....overtaking,... etc etc...

What is a PCBU?

The HSW Act defines ‘PCBU’. It is essentially a person conducting a business or undertaking, whether alone or with others and whether for profit or gain or not. The PCBU is in the best position to control risks to work health and safety. This is why the PCBU will have the primary duty to ensure health and safety as of 4 April 2016.

Despite its name, a PCBU can be a business entity, such as a company, as well as an individual person. An individual person will generally be a PCBU if they are a sole trader or a self-employed person.

The government can no longer hide behide SOE's, they have to be upfront and walk the talk ....so to speak.

A shitty piece of road design can still meet the standards though, and if its initially cheaper, that's what the client wants most of the time. Auckland is littered with examples of it, along with the stories from the engineers about how what they wanted to do, and what the budget let them do, was very different.  

time has changed that, If they now build a road that is unsafe they can be held accountable ( and they will be ) because they said nothing and carried out what the owner wanted.  

Look at some of the major roading  problems that's in the focus at the moment.... the east coast of the south island ,....... the one in the lower north island ( I forget the name of it).sorry . closed until further notice.

12 hours ago, 3pedals said:

The problem with relying on Darwin is that the idiots often take out innocent people who should be in the gene pool.

We all seem to agree that the standards and their application are the root causes , but we shouldn't just blame the politicians, they act on our signals as well and we bang on about nanny states and over regulation so we are contributors. 

Competence and experience are becoming rarer across  all of our activities, how many people change a wheel these days - they simply call the AA, how many can build a shed or retaining wall,  we now have to assess our machine operators annually and train them because many do not have the " I want to be better at this atttude"  they simply come to work to get the money. And driving has now become an inconvenence that gets in the way of being on social media for so many. 

Totally agree!

Mandatory 2 yearly driving tests, in the real world, with examiners who arent clowns clipping bus tickets. How to drive in traffic, how to go around a corner, how to take your left foot off the brake pedal, how to merge, how to stay da fuk out of the RH lane, what an indicator is, how to remove your head from your ass when driving in the rain, etc. 

Pass 2 of them in a row, and ya go to 10 year driving tests.

Fail, and your license is revoked and requires a driving course before resiting. Instant mandatory 5k fine and no license for more 5 years if you drive with no license.

Solved. Next problem. 

On 4/21/2018 at 5:14 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

. Most NZ roads have NO barriers, or a spindly wooden fence which couldn't stop an empty push chair from going over the edge.

I disagree. The fences are painted white which makes them much stronger. Probably enough to stop a pushchair.

• Haha 3