Sign in to follow this  
Drea//Mer

My new car - yet another e36 328i

So i decided it was time for a power upgrade... Flew to Chch and drove this home:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Axj7cVLA3HIU3UxoYL9TlSWbJJok1bji

My previous daily has been a calypsorot 318i sedan manual for the past 11 years,  im really enjoying the hp increase.  So i've decided ill drive it for about 6 months before i do any power increasing mods so i can really get a feel for the engine.

My plans include: complete new cooling system,  m50 intake,  forced induction (distant goal).

I would really appreciate any advice from those of you with more experience than i with the 6cyl engine =),  I have a good running m50b25 sitting in a junker at home (see previous posts), ill be using that for parts for the intake mod. 

Is it worth my time buying an EMP Stewart water pump?  Do i really need the extra flow? i have read that they have a high failure rate.

DSC02807.JPG

Wouldn't bother with EMP myself, not worth it when the OEM does the job fine and gives decent life. Wouldn't bother with M50 manifold atm either. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Eagle said:

Wouldn't bother with M50 manifold atm either. 

Im not going to do anything like that for at least 6 months; But after that, why not?  I mean the parts are just sitting there on a car that is sitting on blocks rusting away.

Lots of info on it over the internet but basically will loose torque in the mid range making the car less drivable for average use  

Yes, M50 manifold loses torque low down and gains a few hp up top.

It would be worth doing on a forced induction project though.

Doing the vanos seals is worth doing as you lose low end torque as the old seals age.

4 hours ago, zero said:

Doing the vanos seals is worth doing as you lose low end torque as the old seals age.

Any advice on where i should source the parts for a vanos overhaul?

40 minutes ago, Drea//Mer said:

Any advice on where i should source the parts for a vanos overhaul?

besian systems.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

• Like 1

Some packages arrived today, its like christmas   ?

Kassel performance m50 manifold kit and parts to delete asc from pelican, Also pictured is new metal impeller water pump and thermostat housing.

My next order will be from beisansystems,  i promise ?. Im trying to replace as much as i can before the car hits 200,000km, its sitting at 199,6XX right now.

20180613_175737.jpg

• Like 2

Very interested to see how you get along with that manifold kit... do you just add an M50 manifold to the mix? What about tuning or is the extra air within the parameters of the stock DME?

Pretty sure all i need is manifold, but ive seen tutorials using the mounting bars and other wee bits for the swap.   

From what i've read and have been told,  the adaptive fuel mapping in the dme will adjust itself to minor modifications like this.  You just need to reset the dme's current memory by shorting the battery leads with battery removed for 30+ mins, after that it will readapt over the next few days to get the mixture right.

Edited by Drea//Mer
  • Like 1

Will lose a lot of torque without a re-tune and won't gain much up top. Has been covered a bunch of times. 

The flatter power delivery will make it feel like there is less of a top end drop off in power so it might feel faster up top 

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

Will lose a lot of torque without a re-tune and won't gain much up top. Has been covered a bunch of times. 

The flatter power delivery will make it feel like there is less of a top end drop off in power so it might feel faster up top 

Yes it loses some torque at the bottom end but if it's an auto it will maintain a power increase up to the gear change - about 6100 rpm. Otherwise the power drops off at 5700rpm. Good on a track or for overtaking...

Don't do it unless you have an auto, or a manual with an M3 header plus revamped mapping...

Im not worried about the torque loss at this stage, a supercharger will fix that ?.  Need more airflow for my boosting intentions, thats why im putting the m50 manifold on.   I have fully prepared myself for the change in torque / hp, read a lot of forum posts, bought a couple of books which detail the mod. 

I do agree it will be less drivable in the city, sticking to speed limits etc;  but i really want to build it to see what it can do on track and passing lanes ?

• Like 1

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it, will most certainly feel faster seat of pants. 

I have a tidy sc14 I mounted up on my old 328ti floating around if you're after one, has a pwr cooler set up too 

Finally got around to getting my gauges transferred from old car to new,  i designed and 3d printed a gauge cluster that basically snaps into the interior and surrounding panels.  I had to cut the original sunglass shelf off the cigarette & button thing, which i did carefully with a coping saw,  the cluster has plastic tabs which slot behind the cut down piece, and a lip which slots into the OBC unit above.

P1ScR3Z.jpg

At the moment im monitoring water temp and air / fuel.  Plan to change the tachometer out in future.

• Like 4