Sign in to follow this  
Stevejackie2017

E53 4.4 x5 vibration

Hi all. Have recently aquired an x5 4.4 m62tu 2003. She has 200k km on clock and is in imaculate condition . Previous owner has done everything possible to keep engine running beautifully and that she does . However last couple days have heard a weird fluttering npice upon starting . At first thought was the fan clutch although it was replaced not to long ago . It does sound more coming from under the vehicle . Which leads me to think torque convertor . . Now today on idle in park or drive a noticable vibration through cabin at idle which leads me to think mounts . In saying this .the engine purrs like a kitten and the trans itself seems smoother than my e60 540i and that only has 50k on the clock . Any one else have or had this problem or some advice would be greatly appreciated . Cheers steve 

Hey Steve, is there any history of timing chain guide replacement? Any noise coming from the front of the engine? 

Hi .yes chain ,guides all seals etc were replaced a little over 15thou kms ago .at first i thought is was front of engine which made me think fan clutch but there is no play etc in bearing . I. Leaning more towards under vehicle and noise coming up to front 

Edited by Stevejackie2017

Hey guys . Just to update . So it turns out the vibration was because the engine had too much oil .low oil light came on while my wife was using the car so she pulled into service station and the attendent put 2 litres in . It of course wasnt low but a faulty oil level sensor . ..the noise turns out to be vanos although the seals were done when guides and chain were replaced . I replaced the timing chain tensioner as well just to be on the safe side .??

Glad to hear it’s sorted.  I never let the petrol station attendants touch my car.  Heard so many situations where they have done stuff like this. 

What kind of a retard just goes tipping oil into an engine without first checking the dipstick? How did they know it needed two litres, or one or even five without checking the dipstick?

And of course- with newer BMW's now having no dipstick at all, can we expect to see more of this kind of thing?

Just now, Young Thrash Driver said:

What kind of a retard just goes tipping oil into an engine without first checking the dipstick? How did they know it needed two litres, or one or even five without checking the dipstick?

And of course- with newer BMW's now having no dipstick at all, can we expect to see more of this kind of thing?

Mate i have no idea why he put any in at all . If he had of checked the dipstick he would have seen level was good . 

• Like 1