Sign in to follow this  
qube

The only upgrade that made sense

So thoughts on rates.  They may not call it this these days - in fact when we first got mortgaged in the 90’s, it wasn’t disclosed... but it was ‘mortgage lender’s insurance’.  This was an additional cost the bank passed on to the borrower, there the loan value to equity didn’t meet a certain threshold, and they insured the loan due to the higher risk.  Fortunately for us, our bank manager looked after us, disclosed the threshold, and the figures so we were able to bump up our deposit and avoid this.

oh, and back then retail 2 and 3 year mortgage rates were 10.25%... and they climbed above 12% for a while.  When they hit 7.75% on the way down we were stunned.  The last 4-odd years have been a cakewalk at sub-5%.

Property is an investment, a car is a liability. 

Honestly, the more money I pour into BMWs over the years, the more I consider just buying a Lexus.

Now you can all throw rocks at me because I’ve given up on life!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Plenty of overvalued houses selling in Auckland for less than they were purchased for a year ago, all in the 900k+ bracket, whereas everything "first home buyer" friendly price range is still selling fast. I guess it depends greatly on what you buy and where to if property is actually an investment, spending 900k on E30s a few years ago wouldve have got a you a good return now :D

9 hours ago, Jacko said:

Plenty of overvalued houses selling in Auckland for less than they were purchased for a year ago, all in the 900k+ bracket, whereas everything "first home buyer" friendly price range is still selling fast. I guess it depends greatly on what you buy and where to if property is actually an investment, spending 900k on E30s a few years ago wouldve have got a you a good return now :D

It’s easy to find odd exceptions to the rule but the overall truth of that statement remains for most people. 

11 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Property is an investment, a car is a liability. 

Honestly, the more money I pour into BMWs over the years, the more I consider just buying a Lexus.

Now you can all throw rocks at me because I’ve given up on life!  

Haha I have been thinking the same thing about Toyota/Lexus since my M5 is trying to kill me by paper cut repairs.  Toyota Mark X for a cheap option or a recent model IS350F or GS350F, Camry or even Hybrid!

Edited by GorGasm

Getting way off topic now haha I don’t need Lexus talk on my page plz :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, qube said:

Getting way off topic now haha I don’t need Lexus talk on my page plz :)

So... what kind of Lexus are you getting when you sell the 135i? 

Always liked the look of these but not too sure if i would like to own one. Must test drive one one day :)

17 hours ago, qube said:

Always liked the look of these but not too sure if i would like to own one. Must test drive one one day :)

Worth considering if you're in the market for a E9x M3, not much can compare to a "M" car steering feel in my honest opinion. However what you lose in that you gain in reliability :) not trying to sell you it, but I don't trust buying a used M3 without knowing whether its been properly warmed up before driven hard (rod bearings) - Only real thing that held me back from getting one. 

i dont see a HUGE benefit to upgrade to an E9x M3 from my M135i, my car is newer, comfortable, quick, can fit more and is practical. 

of course its not a V8 but still sounds good and doesnt cost as much to maintain. Still really highly rate these hatchbacks for anyone in the 20-30k price range market.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, qube said:

Terrific car, very firm suspension and ride but that is the appeal, I think they are really nice as an overall package, great 8 speed direct drive automatic / tiptronic gearbox, very quick shifts and that motor sounds super sweet, can sound better with the single middle section of the exhaust removed.

Only thing I dont really like is the interior, it's fine, but just seems a bit generic, exterior nice enough, pleasant car but I don't think the design is as good as the E92 M3 etc. 

• Like 2

agreed with above, interior is a let down, exterior looks nice but not as nice as the m3 for sure.

I got the parents to buy an IS350, it's nice enough, good engine (can do a high 13s 1/4 mile!) but the suspension and handling is way softer than an IS-F

Interior is fine, but the dash board lacks character. 

I think the ugliest part of them are the huuuggee wing mirrors and the stupid position they mount on the doors, don't know why they couldn't mount smaller ones on the corners where the glass ends, like all other cars, far better looking 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, qube said:

agreed with above, interior is a let down, exterior looks nice but not as nice as the m3 for sure.

LCI F20 interior is miles better than e90 interior. E90 interior just feels cheap and dated already

• Like 1

oh yeah for sure. the F20 is waaaaaaaaaaay nicer. I was just comparing between the lexus and the e9x m3. 

i would really hate to go back to non comfort access after experiencing it in the F20.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Michael. said:

Terrific car, very firm suspension and ride but that is the appeal, I think they are really nice as an overall package, great 8 speed direct drive automatic / tiptronic gearbox, very quick shifts and that motor sounds super sweet, can sound better with the single middle section of the exhaust removed.

Only thing I dont really like is the interior, it's fine, but just seems a bit generic, exterior nice enough, pleasant car but I don't think the design is as good as the E92 M3 etc. 

Very valid points and can't say I disagree. if I could have a brand new M3 or a F. Id get the M3 hands down, but secondhand ownership is a different story.

• Like 1