Sign in to follow this  
Matich

M50B25 Crankbolt removal (help)

Engine is fully stripped down apart from the block/rotating assembly, I purchased a 1/2" air impact for the crank bolt only to find it wouldn't loosen the bolt. 

From researching around it looks as if it is a normal thread and not reverse, i'm not sure if this changed from car to car, mine is a 1992 325i e36. 

Does anyone have any tips to remove this bolt? I've seen people remove with electric impacts so thought an air powered one would be fine. 

Last resort would be to buy a breaker bar. 

I use an 18v dewalt (1625nm) for this, does them piece of cake 

My makita does these fine.

Maybe you bought a cheap rattle gun?

What brand cause there is 510nm and then there's 510nm?

The torque spec is somewhere around 400nm. Couple that with age/corrosion and an impact gun that may not deliver the advertised minerals and it's not really surprising that it can't get it off

510 won't be anywhere near enough sadly. 

Have a spare rattle gun rated to 750 and that sometimes has to think about removing them 

When still in the car, i use a socket/bar & the starter motor to crack it, works every time:)

8 hours ago, hotwire said:

When still in the car, i use a socket/bar & the starter motor to crack it, works every time:)

Lol sounds risky, but whatever works ^_^

something like 450Nm from memory. My fully charged DeWalt didn't have a chance on the last M52 I tried. you need a breaker bar to get the first crack, rattle gun or similar willl be fine after that.

Really just depends on your rattle gun. Last workplace one of the guys had a top of the line Milwaukee 1\2" M18 fuel  that wouldn't break a sweat on anything.

Sounds like I need to go purchase a breaker bar, shouldn't have wasted monies on an impact ?

1 hour ago, Matich said:

Sounds like I need to go purchase a breaker bar, shouldn't have wasted monies on an impact ?

What impact did you buy?

Some cheaper end Heavy Duty BlackRidge one from supercheap, I thought the 510nm would have been more than enough but I guessed wrong!