Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

Windscreen replacement leads to damage... What now?

Good evening all, 

Recently had a chipped windscreen go in for replacement at a well known repairers. Got the car home to find an incredible amount of bad workmanship. Seals not fitted correctly, lower cowl sitting proud allowing water in, sealant EVERYWHERE (front quarter guards, bonnet, A pillars, rv mirror, interior, dash etc.), but worst of was the deep scratches. So I quickly sent in photos in and email and was told to bring the car into another branch with a better rep we're they'd replace the windscreen and send the car to the panel beaters. 

Fast forward a week, get the call to collect my beloved E91. Windscreen looks real good. Scratches removed from the guard, but not from the bonnet. Was told the guard was re-sprayed, but the marring still present from previous washes are still there, obviously just been hit with compound. 

Posting to see if anyone here has been in this position before. Where to from here? Would it be too much for me to ask for my own repairer?

Cheers guys! 

Absolute crap service! Take it back again & tell them to fix it properly!!!!

• Like 2

Yea that's the plan. Was pretty shocked as I had specifically asked for this company. 

When it rains it bloody pours! Misses just got home with the E36 and there's been a card left. Bumpers been hit while parked ?

Anyone recommend a really good repairer in the Penrose area? That won't write off old faithful? 

I've used Greenlane Auto Panel Repairs who have been excellent. If you go to them, tell Raj that Graham recommended him.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 2

Try the local BMW dealer for your windscreen replacements. We see so many terrible jobs done by other repairers plus replace all the parts as per repair instructions

• Like 3

Gaz, yea i tried that. State wouldn't have a bar of it. Weren't keen when I requested a BMW/Pilkington screen either. 

Taking the e36 into Sallens in Penrose to get its damage assessed which means I'll be able to take a look at the E91. 

My main concern is that *insert windscreen company* will request that it just gets the paint cut with a compound to remove the deep scratches, and consequently thin out the paint and they'll wash their hands of it. 

Guy in my office just went through a windscreen replacement. Had the BMW dealer write a letter to the insurance company explaining why OEM is better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Guy in my office just went through a windscreen replacement. Had the BMW dealer write a letter to the insurance company explaining why OEM is better. 

Damn I wish I knew this! Hopefully I remember for next time. 

Update on the paint. Seems I was being a bit pedantic. The guy (potentially owner? Seemed super knowledgeable and unbiased) from Sallens Panel Beaters said that after they polish the scratches out, the clear will still be >100 micron thick. 40+ micron is needed to maintain UV resistance. 

You shouldn't be doing this yourself. I would have called insurance back immediately after the first job and told them it was unsatisfactory and led to further damage (provide photos). It's their job, they need to make it right. You could also suggest that the dealer was the only place that could make it right (and wouldn't have created the problem in the first place).

It cost State about 3 x dealer price to replace a windscreen once for me because they refused me dealer service, the new screen leaked, I had to take it back to the original place, they couldn't fix it and eventually it went to Mitsubishi (it wasn't a BMW of course) who did it properly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Damn I wish I knew this! Hopefully I remember for next time. 

Yeah it was pretty amusing - he drove around for about a week with a big crack across the screen whilst he argued with the insurance company. 

He’s a fairly savvy guy and explained that as soon as he handed over the car and let it go somewhere, else he would have lost control of the process. So he deliberately didn’t compromise and dug his heels in. 

He’s got the 535 wagon which has just been replaced by BMW so I don’t know if it makes much of a difference if the car is worth a bit more to the insurer or not? 

Another guy I work with has a pretty new Mercedes SUV. His tactic was to take it directly to the dealer and to tell the insurance company it was there, ready to be inspected! 

Edited by NZ BMW

Lo and behold, get back from a week's holiday to find the new windscreen has cracked. Crack starts from the corner under the seal so I'm assuming it's a installation fault ?

What gets me is that I was promised that the windscreens were no different to OEM with regard to quality and that after the ordeal above, their top technician of the franchise would install it. 

On 5/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, NZ BMW said:

NZBMW, wondering if you were able to put me in contact with your mate? Or have a copy of the letter. I'm getting over traveling to Penrose to sort this bloody car. Going to go back to State and tell them it's their problem. 

My windshield has a nice crack in it from a large rock on the road today. I’d be keen on that letter too...

No I’m not sharing around a letter which is not to me. I suggest go to BMW and see what they say. 

Yeah, BMW will want the job so I'd just call them and tell them your story and what you need from them, I'm sure they'll try and help.

Rang Auckland City BMW yesterday. He basically said the obvious and that they prefer OEM/Pilkington. Nothing on paper but I've passed this on to Smith and Smith.