M3AN

Alignment Shims: Where to Buy at Reasonable Cost?

Hi folks,

I need shims for the front camber on my 328, the can't even get it down to 0* and I want -1.0* on each side.

Obviously I could use washers but would prefer horseshoe shims for easier adjustment, the problem being that these are either a rip-off ($60 for 10 shims wtf) or available in bulk (125+ pieces) neither of which appeal. I should be able to pick them up for a couple of bucks each somewhere (for example truck shims are only $2 each).

I need a handful (8?) of 12mm x 1mm shims. Any pointers? Local availability in Auckland would be preferable.

Cheers.

You could try The Bolt Shop, they have a lot obscure of sh*t main hardware and fastener companies don't, and when I last visited (11 years ago ish) the bulk of their products were in a show room so you could saunter around and find out exactly what you needed yourself if you wanted...  Anyway, if they don't have them, i'd be surprised if they didn't know who did.

• Like 1

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspension-Steering/Camber-Caster-Parts/E36-Front-Camber-Shim-Kit_2.html

• Like 1

Fit M3 top hats and then use the shims to fine tune otherwise the tyre can end up very close to the strut - this will also give you a bit more caster and then you don't need so much camber 

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Fit M3 top hats...

That's what I've done (and M3 shocks and springs) and this is the first alignment afterwards. I have camber correction bolts from BMW but they won't work without shims (and longer bottom bolts), neither of which BMW sells... 😕

The best they could get was (LF) +0*12' and (RF) +0*24'

Edited by M3AN

The M3 top hat moves the top mounting point rear wards and slightly out which increases caster and reduces camber but usually only down to about neg 0*5  mine is then shimmed to neg 0*8  which works really well with the 6.5  deg caster I have.

You can swap the top hats left to right, swapping the top hats usually gives about neg 1*5 to neg 2*0 but given you have positive camber you should end up at about neg 1*3 deg. 

Whats your ride height like ? and what else could be affecting the camber - i.e lower control arms - are they correct not Evo ones with offset bushes ?? 

Also you need the M3 type outer ball joints or toe will change every corner as you squash the rubber in the stock ones. 

M3 hats are installed on their intended side, I wanted to see what that would offer before mucking around with swapping sides. Castor is at the max of specification and very similar on each side, I'm happy with that.

Stock 328 arms, centred FCAB's and standard 328 kingpins/spindles. I'm not buying those parts but will happily replace the ball joints when the existing ones reach the end of their natural life. Keeping in mind that this is a slushbox daily, nothing more.

Theory has it that the M3 kingpins have a slightly different profile and this affects camber, could be true. Considering how close we are some thin (1mm) shims should do the trick. I just need to find good value shims.

Washers FTW!

TBH washers will work and many people use them. It's just a PITA for the alignment folks as they have to remove the bolts to make any adjustments and you need a variety of different thickness washers.

I’ve never done this, but, it seems like a washer is two cuts with an angle grinder from being a horse shoe shape 

2 hours ago, EUROLESS said:

I’ve never done this, but, it seems like a washer is two cuts with an angle grinder from being a horse shoe shape 

You're correct, considered that myself.

http://www.patchrubber.co.nz/product-group/2849-universal-alignment-shims/category/96-alignment-shims

What a crap load of drama for a simple issue - just search and aquire 

No drama here, what's going on at your end, sounds dire!

Thanks for the link.

Wholesale only... "Please note: Patch Rubber Tyre & Tube is a wholesale distributor to our industry and as such we do not sell our products direct to any purchaser who does not hold an approved trade related credit account with our company."

What a drama!

I guess I must be trade approved then ?? 

No drama here just enjoying a nice lagavulin watching the sunset on the sea before king prawns in a tempura batter with nasi Goreng style rice 

last week it was whitebait fritters and an Aberfeldy , now what can I conjour up for next weekend ?? 

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

Wholesale only... "Please note: Patch Rubber Tyre & Tube is a wholesale distributor to our industry and as such we do not sell our products direct to any purchaser who does not hold an approved trade related credit account with our company."

What a drama!

Often if they have a sales counter you can turn up in dirty overalls with an exhausted/bored/pissedoff expression and bullshit story and company name to buy at trade.

Source: Do it all the time at Partmaster.

• Like 1