Sign in to follow this  
P3RMAFROST

New BMW in the South of the North

Hello from the Hutt Valley,

We’ve been driving around in a 1996 Ford Laser for sometime now with an occasional drive in our other vehicle, a 1998 Ford Courier XL Wellside. Both of which don’t have much of a vehicle safety rating.

My fiancée and I recently fell in love with a 2012 7 Series 750i – a Japanese import. It was the first car yard we visited one random Sunday afternoon, and the 3rd vehicle we looked at up close. It was all over from there. It’s quite a leap in terms of.... almost everything (steering wheels and four tyres are still common place in the 2000’s)!

Until it came to purchasing this particular vehicle, I knew squat about BMWs. I did spend some weeks researching the 5th generation 7 series and became aware of the potentiality for serious problems to occur. Despite numerous tales of woe in various online postings we went ahead regardless – love knows no bounds (3yr MBI sorted along with an independent PPI)?

It’s fairly tidy considering it’s 72,000 wrinkles and at this stage I just intend to give it a good wax (AutoGlym). Try to remove some superficial scratches on the paint work and on the interior surface of the wooden trim.  I've already invested in some leather care from European Leathercare in Petone.  It doesn't look like the rear seats were used much at all.

A couple of new tyres due soon as only 3mm left on the rear. I had spotted some Bridgestone Turanza T005’s after noting the B grade attributed to a decrease in rolling resistance (how much that will help in real-world economy I don’t know). Suggestions most welcomed regarding tyre selection, as well as any unwanted fuel vouchers ?

Other than that, it’s an brobdingnagian joy to drive, bugger the environment and my retirement fund!

Cheers.

I slightly grainy photo shall have to suffice for now.

image.png.472241f4aa49139e78beb3ed594e83ea.png

P.s. does anyone know when the ECOPRO mode was first introduced with the 7 Series?

• Like 3

Hello - and welcome to the world of BMW ownership! I'm based in the Hutt as well - but my BMW isn't as nice as yours (1998 328i cab) :)

For tires, always do a price check at hyperdrive.co.nz - lots of places will quote you what they think you'll pay. And once you mention it's a BMW they put the prices up. There are a few friendly mechanics who are BMW enthusiasts as well and are engaged in the community so it's good going to them if you can :) They're probably in this forum as well - so will let them introduce themselves. Hyperdrive will actually deliver to a mechanic of your choosing and charge a set fee for tire installation and balancing.

And the AugoGlym lower north island distributor is also on this forum - he's great value (Barry - http://barrysgarage.co.nz/). I think he gives discounts to members of the BMW Car Club - which is pretty cheap to join and has a great facebook group (amongst other things) http://bmwclub.co.nz/

For some reason internet is being odd for me today so cant post any links to sites or reference anyone's names.

Anyway, it'd be great to catch up and check out your car!

Tim

• Thanks 1

look forward to meeting you, have had 4 750iLs, though all a few generations older than yours!

• Thanks 1

Howdy Mike and what an awesome vehicle!! Look forward to seeing it a meetup … @Barryn is the man for Autoglym. 

Hope you attend some of our events and join the BMW Car Club, we have a very active group down here in Welly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.

I've been to see Barry already for the essentials - he was most helpful (like every BMW owner I've met so far).

Joining in an event could be fun, hopefully we can juggle work schedules to suit.

• Like 1

my recomendation for tyres is the tyre clinic fifeshire ave (next to mitsubishi wellington).Do you have run flats?My experience with runflats(at the time) was that pirelli's were competitive in price with bridgestones and continentals but had a nicer ride.

Tyre clinic do not seem wedded to a particular brand

• Thanks 1

@kiwi535

Thanks - will keep them in mind.

Yes, currently have runFlats (Pirelli PZero) fitted.  I'm not keen on the replacement cost; circa $900-$1000 for the PZero's.  The budget has already been sssstttrrreeetttccchhheeeddddd (stretched).

Was thinking normal tyres in combination with a tyre inflation kit.

Anyone have personal experience with using a tyre inflation kit?

Cheers, M.

1 hour ago, P3RMAFROST said:

@kiwi535

Thanks - will keep them in mind.

Yes, currently have runFlats (Pirelli PZero) fitted.  I'm not keen on the replacement cost; circa $900-$1000 for the PZero's.  The budget has already been sssstttrrreeetttccchhheeeddddd (stretched).

Was thinking normal tyres in combination with a tyre inflation kit.

Anyone have personal experience with using a tyre inflation kit?

Cheers, M.

not sure what my model pirelli was but the price does vary somewhat.When it comes time, give yourself plenty of time to shop around

After plenty of deliberation I've decided to try non-run flats, could end up being a bad decision, we'll just have to wait and see....

Main reasons were price since I can't bring myself to spend circa $1,000 on one tyre here in NZ (half the price in the US) and I wanted an All Season tyre.

I can't afford two sets (summer and winter) and having UHP summer tyres where the manufacturer advises you don't use them below 7 degrees c doesn't seem like a good option in NZ.

Puncture repair gun ordered along with a mini-compressor.

Tyres @ the Mainfreight depot in California earlier this morning.

Picture of Item_84549.jpg

• Like 1

Ive done 100,000k on non run flats, with no spare, probably been lucky but havent been stranded yet! (couple of quick trips to the tyre shop for puncture repairs, and one delam, but still... not stranded! :D )

True story: I have been driving for 53 years and I have never had a flat tyre while driving any vehicle

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

i have had three i think 1 in the middle of nowhere on the way to Napier in the middle of the night.I had a couple in the 535 when the tyres were very worn.

If you get an inflation kit make sure you know how to work it!Is there a space saver type spare availabale.I think i would go that route

5 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

i have had three i think 1 in the middle of nowhere on the way to Napier in the middle of the night.I had a couple in the 535 when the tyres were very worn.

If you get an inflation kit make sure you know how to work it!Is there a space saver type spare availabale.I think i would go that route

I hear yah - I've got some old steel rims and tyres off a ute I can practice on.  You can get a space saver but there's no cavity for it so you'd have to just strap it down inside the boot.

7 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

True story: I have been driving for 53 years and I have never had a flat tyre while driving any vehicle

53 years , that's some good going!

8 hours ago, Jacko said:

Ive done 100,000k on non run flats, with no spare, probably been lucky but havent been stranded yet! (couple of quick trips to the tyre shop for puncture repairs, and one delam, but still... not stranded! :D )

Out of interest, what brand of tyre delaminated on you and was it in a bad state to start with?

17 hours ago, P3RMAFROST said:

Out of interest, what brand of tyre delaminated on you and was it in a bad state to start with?

was an eagle F1 assy 2, one of the originals when I bought the car (have been through a few sets..) no idea how old it was.

Welcome Mike, very pretty indeed. Can you give us detail on the tyres and what it will cost vs NZ prices?

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Welcome Mike, very pretty indeed. Can you give us detail on the tyres and what it will cost vs NZ prices?

Sure.

My car is a staggered setup: 245/40/R20 Front and 275/35R20 Rear on 303M 20" rims.

OEM Tyres are Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) Run Flats as seen here.

Two quotes in NZ, $960 vs $1,100 (NZD) per tyre and from Tire Rack in the US $496.55 (NZD) per tyre.

I opted for Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus as seen here.

All up the final bill is going to be around $1,892.81 depending on what happens at NZ Customs, which, equates to $473.20 per tyre.

Pricing and Conversion ( 1.47405 as @ 29-07-2018)

Tire Rack Price USD x2 Tyres USD x1 Tyre NZD x2 Tyres NZD
275/35/R20 $216.89 $433.78 $319.71 $639.41
245/40/R20 $223.85 $447.70 $329.97 $659.93
    $881.48   $1,299.35

Tire Rack Quote with Shipping (Air Freight)

USD NZD Per Tyre
$1,350.83 $1,991.19 $568.66
Plus NZ customs $2,274.65  

Kiwi Shipping (Mainfreight)

Shipping with Mainfreight means you qualify for Tire Rack's free shipping across the US.

Kiwi Shipping (Mainfreight)   Sub Totals - NZD
Air vs Sea
Difference
Freight Charges USD Destination Charges NZD Total Charges NZD   tyres & shipping NZ Customs Per Tyre
$134.00 $110.00 $310.00 - BY SEA $1,609.35 $1,892.81 $473.20 $373.00
$456.00   $683.00 - BY AIR $1,982.35 $2,265.81    

NZ Customs Estimate

Item Duty $200.34
GST on Freight $30.45
Entry Fee $52.67
  $283.46
Edited by P3RMAFROST
* first table too wide - tyre details
  • Like 2

Where did you get the quotes from? I have found hyperdrive competitive but never compared with importing myself. 

Tim

21 hours ago, P3RMAFROST said:

Tire Rack

Shipping to NZ: Kiwi Shipping

I meant for the NZ comparisons :)

Tim