Sign in to follow this  
Goffy

BMW M2 drivers review by yours truely

Greetings Guys for anyone interested in a kiwi view- i reviewed a 2016 M2 recently and cobbled together this video, enjoy!

• Like 2

Not sure if you're seeking CC, if not, stop reading.  But I offer it because I like your vibe, your passionate, and you've put a lot of effort into this, it's hard enough making a 2 minute video let alone nearly 10.

At the start of the video i couldn't tell if I was more distracted by the top of your head being cut off or having to stare up your nose.

The drone use  and other cinematography is cool, but in my opinion, cars never look good on grass, the green reflection messes with the cars actual colour, and the texture messes with perception of the curves.  and hells teeth, you need to stabilise the camera on you while driving, I get that M and other race derived cars are rough on bumps, but that's hard to watch, a lighter camera will move less than that massive DSLR and 24-70?

If you're going to do cool cornering shots in an M car, jesus man, cut the apex right (first cornering shot) or some people will judge (I did).

And last but not least, though I appreciate that a 9 minute video takes work, but most people get bored after about 3 minutes if theres no guns, drugs, violence, plane, robots, violence, guns, violence girls, sex, speed or noise. I think perhaps you're adlibbing in the summary in the end? Scrip and cut the pauses at.  I think looking at what your talking about is strange, when your not making eye contact with the camera its not as engaging, try keep them under 5 and I think you'll have more people engaged.

I get a Jeremy Clarkson Metaphorical type vibe, but he scripts and rehearses and keeps it all short, and is passionate, you seemed a little bored in your summary, and one single camera angle with zero cuts is not engaging, you don't need to go full on bubblepopgumyoutubeceleb cut every 5 words, but, change it up a bit.

My $200.02c.

Sorry if it makes me seem like a dick, well, I am a dick, but I'm not trying to be here.

Edited by EUROLESS
  • Like 2

^ Agreed, I like the idea, and you nailed some parts.

Drones are my bread and butter, if you want suggestions on how to get nice shots hollah, some of the ones included in your video are good, whereas others should have got the chop. The shot at 1:30 for instance is nice, just a simple climb, its cliche (all aerial photography now is!) but it looks good. Without really precise thumbs for pan/tilt shots just looks amateurish, so best bet is to just avoid it until your at that level, practice lots and just let it hit the editing room floor. Some of the best stuff ive got has just been from drifting in the wind while not trying to do anything fancy! 

What software are you using to assemble it all, kinda looks like some weird codec artifacts are happening? Might be due to the differing camera formats/bitrates/codecs? (youtube sometimes does this to) 

I want more though. 

Edited by Jacko

As above, you nailed a lot, I want more, the funny stuff was good, but, it was missing something, i can't put my finger on it.

Be brutal when you edit, maybe you already have been, but be more brutal, ask yourself, does this raise or lower the overall quality/engagement.

My own experience was making a time lapse film, heck, while I'm sitting here being hard on your work I'll link mine so you can go on and CC back if you wish, it seems fair, mines a purely visual journey, but, the point is, i spent about 4 days filming, I filmed about 24 sequences, and I only used about half a dozen.  It's not easy, we make cool work that we're proud of and we want to show everyone, but, it's not about what you want to show them, it's about what they want to see, untill you get famous, then you can do what you want.  When I look back I'd change a lot about it, this was before Hyperlapses and everyone was doing sh*t like that, but I cut a lot that I liked, and if I made it again, i'd change a lot, credits, title, and I wouldn't have used some of the scenes I did actually used, I'd have sucked it up and chopped it to under 2 mins.  You ever seen a directors cut of a movie? like an hour longer, that's what they want, and that's 3 hours of probably 5 hours worth of linear timeline and god knows how many different takes to go through.  

I think you have great potential, but be more brutal.  If i make another video, I'll not be in such a rush to get it on the internet, I already watch it half a dozen or more times the day I finish it and upload, but In future, I think I'll  Make it and park it for a week.  Watch it again and park it for a week, then watch it again.  

My attempt at being awesome and famous for making videos :

Edited by EUROLESS

On 5/14/2018 at 7:38 PM, EUROLESS said:

Not sure if you're seeking CC, if not, stop reading.  But I offer it because I like your vibe, your passionate, and you've put a lot of effort into this, it's hard enough making a 2 minute video let alone nearly 10.

At the start of the video i couldn't tell if I was more distracted by the top of your head being cut off or having to stare up your nose.

The drone use  and other cinematography is cool, but in my opinion, cars never look good on grass, the green reflection messes with the cars actual colour, and the texture messes with perception of the curves.  and hells teeth, you need to stabilise the camera on you while driving, I get that M and other race derived cars are rough on bumps, but that's hard to watch, a lighter camera will move less than that massive DSLR and 24-70?

If you're going to do cool cornering shots in an M car, jesus man, cut the apex right (first cornering shot) or some people will judge (I did).

And last but not least, though I appreciate that a 9 minute video takes work, but most people get bored after about 3 minutes if theres no guns, drugs, violence, plane, robots, violence, guns, violence girls, sex, speed or noise. I think perhaps you're adlibbing in the summary in the end? Scrip and cut the pauses at.  I think looking at what your talking about is strange, when your not making eye contact with the camera its not as engaging, try keep them under 5 and I think you'll have more people engaged.

I get a Jeremy Clarkson Metaphorical type vibe, but he scripts and rehearses and keeps it all short, and is passionate, you seemed a little bored in your summary, and one single camera angle with zero cuts is not engaging, you don't need to go full on bubblepopgumyoutubeceleb cut every 5 words, but, change it up a bit.

My $200.02c.

Sorry if it makes me seem like a dick, well, I am a dick, but I'm not trying to be here.

Thanks Charlie for taking the time to critique my vid, hey mate we are all dicks in varying degrees! The fact that you actually took the time to write tells me something, yep agree with this and i will continue to improve, things need to be shorter, better script and rehearsed proper and the large camera was a mistake alas would have re shot but couldn't have the car for any more time so had to use what I had.  Its really good to get insight from someone with more experience so thanks again. Your video is very professional cheers! 

• Like 1

Err looks like i might have put my reply to Charlie in the wrong place sorry dude! Thanks Jacko for your insight also yes drones are a new thing for me and i am still getting a handle on getting consistent shots. Will continue to practice and every new vid will be an improvement on the last!  Yes i had some issues with varying formats which gave a pretty average quality to parts of the video, each thing you do you continue to learn, and yes i will cut out a lot more and keep it sharp, all good comments. Wouldn't mind seeing what you do and get some further insights at some stage! cheers guys

• Like 1

Yeah  man, seriously, keep it up, and don't keep it to the new cars, if there's one thing I enjoy on car shows, is reviews on old awesome cars, TopGear did 850CSi, M1 and more, and I always get a kick out of it.  I think they once did an E28/E34/E39/E60 M5 side by side comparison and drag race once.

I'm sure some people here would let you have a hoon in assorted MXXX and MX cars. 

I for one would love to see a side by side of a 135, 335 and 535, I think you'd get a sh*t tonne of views because many people ask which is best for them.

My 2c - I enjoyed it.  Agree with what Charlie said above.  Plus:  use a better microphone.  Voice-overs can class it up, easy to record with a voiceover mic and a made-from-cardboard-and-egg boxes vocal booth, and Audacity (free audio recording and editing app) to trim the recordings up and eq them... 

I'm looking forward to the next one.

PS:  "BMW BIGOT" is GOLD!

Thanks Charlie, yes i would be mad keen on putting together a 135. 335 and 535I together, i love all of those, might need to be a team effort there! i would certainly be keen on any others out there who would be keen on getting their car reviewed to get in contact. I will be doing a owner review on my 540I msport in the next month or two- i have only just bought it and because its mine i can take all the time i need! I have an opportunity to do a review on an E92 M3  which i hope will pan out... 

Thanks for the comments Olaf, totally agree sound plays a big part and i still have a ways to go. As i am allowed (i think you know what i mean by this!)  i will be getting better gear and thanks to you guys for some insight- will streamline what i do each time. 

I think everything works better with a bit of humor, will attempt to inject a bit of that along the way..

cheers guys! Graham