Sign in to follow this  
4CYLBimmer

New BMW owner.

Hello. Auckland bimmer owner. First European car I've ever owned.

2011 BMW 320i MSport.

Welcome, Tony!  You should find this place pretty helpful.  There are frequent meets in Auckland, take a look at the Auckland room.

E36 BMW + 4 Cylinder engine also = engine oil leaks in my experience, around the damn oil filter case.

2 hours ago, qube said:

E90 BMW + 4 cylinder engine = oil leaks :(

Come on mate, this is a common malady that doesn't discriminate!  BMW engine = oil leaks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, EUROLESS said:

E36 BMW + 4 Cylinder engine also = engine oil leaks in my experience, around the damn oil filter case.

The M43 is probably the last BMW motor which only has very few leak points which are also easy to fix. 

I'd hate to imagine the leaks on these modern BMW engines once they get old (if they aren't already in the scrap yard that is)   

Edited by Eagle

I’ve also heard horror stories of the later V8’s blowing a water line inside the V, dang BMW, get yer sh*t together.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EUROLESS said:

I’ve also heard horror stories of the later V8’s blowing a water line inside the V, dang BMW, get yer sh*t together.

this is a 'feature' for some N62 V8s; however, the cause is recognised as poor servicing, not changing coolant at the recommended intervals with correct BMW coolant.  

There's a repair part available from AGA Tools that significantly reduces the effort and complexity (and thus the cost) of the job.  

http://www.agatools.com/part/bmw-n62-coolant-pipe

Hi Tony & welcome, don't be put off by all the negative comments, enjoy your car & the site

Barry

• Like 3

On 7/2/2018 at 8:41 AM, Barryn said:

Hi Tony & welcome, don't be put off by all the negative comments, enjoy your car & the site

Barry

Sad. But my BMW is most likely dead. Blew all the oil out the engine on the motorway, didn't notice until I slowed down. Pulled over, oil showed close to 0, hopped out safely, entire bottom part of the engine bay is a pool of what was in the engine... towed to the shop under mechanical warranty.

*there was no warning symbol, nothing until I did a manual oil check on the car using the dash.

Edited by 4CYLBimmer
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, 4CYLBimmer said:

Sad. But my BMW is most likely dead. Blew all the oil out the engine on the motorway, didn't notice until I slowed down. Pulled over, oil showed close to 0, hopped out safely, entire bottom part of the engine bay is a pool of what was in the engine... towed to the shop under mechanical warranty.

*there was no warning symbol, nothing until I did a manual oil check on the car using the dash.

????

Oh man that sucks. Feel for you. Really hope the warranty company comes through for you....so you can sell it and get a 6 cylinder

• Haha 1

Dude, that sucks! :(

Hopefully it gets sorted quickly and satisfactorily for you.

Welcome by the way... I'd normally say 'enjoy your first BMW' but... 

Crikey. A 7 (7!!!) year old car committing seppuku like this... Why oh why do people buy them? No disrespect to the owner here, but the horror stories must surely be well known by now. Inadequate maintenance was mentioned before in reference to a different engine, I think we can all accept by now this series of engine is going to explode no matter how it is treated. Makes it embarrassing to be a BMW nut sometimes.

• Like 2