Sign in to follow this  
Damager

bmw noob in hamilton starting with alloys question

not long picked up an e39 528i and wanting to ditch the factory alloys.

was looking at putting on 18s, but having a hard time finding used sets with 20p offset. 

seems to be truckloads for 1 and 3 series with varying offsets but not many for 5 series with 20p?

following the book it says 20p offset for 18/8 , so my search is based only on that info. can a 24 or 18 offset go also?

maybe stay 17s? suggestions welcome!

Plenty of selection around for 17" E39 ET20 factory wheels and other brands like BBS etc. Not the volumes of 3 series stuff but shouldn't be hard to find if you keep and eye out or ask around. 17's have very good tyre prices esp in common 235 45 size so id probably stay with them esp if its just a regular car.

15mm offset with correct tyre sizes will run without issue on 17x8 and 18x8 lowered setups. Lots different offset will work provided they aint too crazy and use the right size tyre. Ive run E38 18" staggered M-pars on my old E34 which were 18x8 ET13 and 18x9.5 ET25 rear.

I have a set for sale which are perfect E39 fitment.

Also be careful with secondhand wheels if you want to fit them to the E39. The e39 has a bigger centre bore of 74.1mm as opposed to most other 5x120 PCD wheels for BMW which are 72.6mm so they DONT WORK. 

You need to find E39 specific wheels such as the ones I am selling or other wheels OFF an E39 (which is very rare to find secondhand)

(I have owned 3 different E39's and know this problem very well!!)

Edited by qube
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the 74.1 mm wheel bore is common on aftermarket wheels for BMW s though 

2 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

the 74.1 mm wheel bore is common on aftermarket wheels for BMW s though 

but i said be "careful with secondhand wheels" because most of the wheels on trademe that are 5x120 are not designed for E39 (74.1 CB) from what I have seen.

74.1 CB is definitely not as common as the standard 72.6mm CB so just pays to make sure you know before committing.