Sign in to follow this  
Drift Tax

Looking to buy first BMW (daily commuter / family car)

Cool document.  530i LCI FTW!

Edited by GorGasm

I drove the 530i a few times and found it to be a nice comfortable drive but lacking in power. I think with the E60 you really need the 540 or bigger engine!

E91 325i M sport would the way to go.  Plenty of room for the family and looks good especially in M sport.  130i is a great car but a bit small when you pack people in it.  If you are keen on a 5 series, I would recommend going E39 530i M sport instead.  A fantastic car and probably cheaper to maintain than the E60.  There is one for 15k on trademe, I reckon you could offer him a more realistic value of 5k, then save 10k to buy other Bimmers.  Kyu knows his cars.  Buy him a bottle of Bourbon and he will probably help you with test driving one too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, qube said:

I drove the 530i a few times and found it to be a nice comfortable drive but lacking in power. I think with the E60 you really need the 540 or bigger engine!

I've not tried the 6 cyl version of the e60.  I can vouch for the chassis being so very well sorted that deploying 330bhp through it does not leave you wondering about designer's intent.  I think it'd be sad to pootle around with 100bhp less.

1 hour ago, Contrails said:

E91 325i M sport would the way to go.  Plenty of room for the family and looks good especially in M sport.  130i is a great car but a bit small when you pack people in it.  If you are keen on a 5 series, I would recommend going E39 530i M sport instead.  A fantastic car and probably cheaper to maintain than the E60.  There is one for 15k on trademe, I reckon you could offer him a more realistic value of 5k, then save 10k to buy other Bimmers.  Kyu knows his cars.  Buy him a bottle of Bourbon and he will probably help you with test driving one too.

E91 is a liiiiiiittle bit lacking in power for instant power. It does really well on roadtrips, took my old one to top of the north island and back and it was a breeze.

Plenty of room for normal sized people haha! they are pretty cheap now too. BUT they dont drive anywhere near as comfortable as the E60. I would probably go for the 530i E61 IF I wanted a big wagon and didnt need the power. I know this is a bit contradicting to what I said before about the 3L in the E60 being a bit gutless which is true but there must be a market for them for certain people.

Plenty of options if you decide to go for the E39 route. Awesome cars and the 530i in E39 chassis is a brilliant choice. It has enough power and is the more reliable variant as opposed to the 540i of which most of them ones for sale are super neglected and abused to death.

There is a absolutely brilliant dark grey 530i on trademe for just under 7k. BMW Individual spec and looks awesome. Plenty of money to spare if you go for it but bare in mind it is an older car unlike the E60/E90 era of BMWs.