Jump to content

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, gjm said:

I've also found that shouting at the laptop and car and asking "if there's no #$%^** problem, why won't you $%^*^&* start?" doesn't actually work.¬†ūüė¨¬†;)

thanks mate, that gave me a good belly laugh.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Unsure if the cable will work with your setup but you are welcome to bring your laptop with you to try it. It's a USB>16 Pin but i have an adapter if you are using the 38 Pin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Ok. Unsure if the cable will work with your setup but you are welcome to bring your laptop with you to try it. It's a USB>16 Pin but i have an adapter if you are using the 38 Pin

Thanks. I've sent a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, fun times...

Visited @Eagle - Jared (so helpful - thank you!) - and borrowed his cable.

At home, found I still had the same problem with the software, and found that I had to reconfigure the laptop to 'force' COM1 on to the USB portI was using. Got through that, and I have some mismatched software (I'll sort that later) with language settings being all over the place.

INPA is fun. Not especially intuitive, but once you get your head around it, it's great.

Cleared codes, tried again, no joy.

Re-read codes and this time the crux of the matter appears to be 4A63, something I've not seen reported by the Scanner 1.4.0.

4A63 is 'EWS Manipulation' - basically, the codes between the DDE and EWS have got out of synch. This could be due to a flat battery following trying to start the car before the fuel pump was replaced, which could be complicated by the ECU having been replaced by the previous owner (which would itself have required a re-synch).

This is where the fun starts as the language mis-match rears it's head: when navigating through INPA to 'Activate', I'm faced with some pretty unintelligible German instead of the English which had been present before! I'm presented with two options:

  1. zur√ľckset - meaning 'reset to default'¬†
  2. uebertragen - meaning 'transfer, transmit or broadcast

I'll read the instructions. :) 

@Gabe79 - I think this may be the issue you resolved for @zero ?

[I'll also retry the cable I have here, now that I have identified COM port config as being the potential issue I experienced before.]

So - still no joy, but I'm finding other things to try. I keep telling myself "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive..."¬†ūü§£

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So engine cranks but wont start?

Have you got another key you can try?

 

Maybe post your keys, ews etc to gabe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, zero said:

So engine cranks but wont start?

Have you got another key you can try?

 

Maybe post your keys, ews etc to gabe?

Aye - whirr, but no vroom.

RESULT: 1 error in error memory !

4A63 4A63 EWS Manipulation

Should be able to sort this with INPA.

Or Gabe is welcome to have a look; he suggested he might be able to help.

Of course, @aja540i may well have been right, too. :)

Edited by gjm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gjm said:

Ah, fun times...

Visited @Eagle - Jared (so helpful - thank you!) - and borrowed his cable.

At home, found I still had the same problem with the software, and found that I had to reconfigure the laptop to 'force' COM1 on to the USB portI was using. Got through that, and I have some mismatched software (I'll sort that later) with language settings being all over the place.

INPA is fun. Not especially intuitive, but once you get your head around it, it's great.

Cleared codes, tried again, no joy.

Re-read codes and this time the crux of the matter appears to be 4A63, something I've not seen reported by the Scanner 1.4.0.

4A63 is 'EWS Manipulation' - basically, the codes between the DDE and EWS have got out of synch. This could be due to a flat battery following trying to start the car before the fuel pump was replaced, which could be complicated by the ECU having been replaced by the previous owner (which would itself have required a re-synch).

This is where the fun starts as the language mis-match rears it's head: when navigating through INPA to 'Activate', I'm faced with some pretty unintelligible German instead of the English which had been present before! I'm presented with two options:

  1. zur√ľckset - meaning 'reset to default'¬†
  2. uebertragen - meaning 'transfer, transmit or broadcast

I'll read the instructions. :) 

@Gabe79 - I think this may be the issue you resolved for @zero ?

[I'll also retry the cable I have here, now that I have identified COM port config as being the potential issue I experienced before.]

So - still no joy, but I'm finding other things to try. I keep telling myself "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive..."¬†ūü§£

This isn't the same issue. His issue was a lot more mundane.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Aye - whirr, but no vroom.

RESULT: 1 error in error memory !

4A63 4A63 EWS Manipulation

Should be able to sort this with INPA.

Or Gabe is welcome to have a look; he suggested he might be able to help.

Of course, @aja540i may well have been right, too. :)

I think this is something you can resolve with INPA, or BMW Scanner. Have a look at a thread like this:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2233690-Car-not-starting-after-reset-the-ews-dme-adaptations-with-BMW-Scanner

This is a relatively common issue, and you want to search for "e39 sync DME EWS" even some youtube videos around if this is the same issue.

2 hours ago, zero said:

So engine cranks but wont start?

Have you got another key you can try?

 

Maybe post your keys, ews etc to gabe?

I'm always happy to code up keys, but note I am out of keys right now. I'll order more once I am actually living in my own house again, in that fantasy day when the renovations end...

Edited by Gabe79
I meant BMW Scanner, not EWS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, well I'll pitch in again even if it doesn't help.

I'm not sure you have INPA working at all TBH. If you can get ADS working over USB then you're the first person in the world to do so. Also codes like "4A63" aren't the descriptive codes you'd get from BMW software AFAIK.

If you have a language problem with INPA this will be because of a mismatched file in the default directory (typically EC-APPS/INPA). Almost all of the language files end in .eng (English) and .ger (German) so browse through those to see if there's anything obvious. You might need to use a Windows GREP programme to search for the German terms you're seeing.

If it's EWS I know nothing I'm afraid... if it's not then I suspect you're going to need to use DIS rather than INPA. INPA is a stepping stone towards DIS which is the proper diagnostics programme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

I think this is something you can resolve with INPA, or EWS. Have a look at a thread like this:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2233690-Car-not-starting-after-reset-the-ews-dme-adaptations-with-BMW-Scanner

This is a relatively common issue, and you want to search for "e39 sync DME EWS" even some youtube videos around if this is the same issue.

I searched for 4A63 and found a couple of other threads describing similar things.

42 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Okay, well I'll pitch in again even if it doesn't help.

I'm not sure you have INPA working at all TBH. If you can get ADS working over USB then you're the first person in the world to do so. Also codes like "4A63" aren't the descriptive codes you'd get from BMW software AFAIK.

If you have a language problem with INPA this will be because of a mismatched file in the default directory (typically EC-APPS/INPA). Almost all of the language files end in .eng (English) and .ger (German) so browse through those to see if there's anything obvious. You might need to use a Windows GREP programme to search for the German terms you're seeing.

If it's EWS I know nothing I'm afraid... if it's not then I suspect you're going to need to use DIS rather than INPA. INPA is a stepping stone towards DIS which is the proper diagnostics programme.

It doesn't appear to be a standard BMW fault code format, but is referenced in several places. The 4B90 error I had before falls into the same category. 

I think INPA is working - it shows when the ignition is on or off, shows engine cranking speed, battery voltage and variations when cranking, and lots more. It'd probably show even more if the engine was running!

Regarding language - I found reports that the version of INPA I have - 5.0.6 - hadn't been fully translated, but I've also found the config (.ini) files that I need to edit to ensure English is used. Not tried that yet. I can always try version 5.0.2 if necessary.

I've also found details of running INPA/EDIABAS/NCS/NFS (and more) under Windows 10. May give that a look too.

Of course, BMW replaced BMW has replaced all the DIS and SSS/Progman software with Rheingold, combining DIS, SSS, INPA, WinFPK and the TIS and WDS into a single of software operated by point-and-click. Again, something to look in to, but it's pretty huge.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleared the 4A63 error.

Still wouldn't start.

And the 4B90 is back...

There'll be a wholesale check of all electrical connections tomorrow, assuming it's not pissing down with rain (again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

√ó