Sign in to follow this  
Henman

Timaru Newbie to Forum but not to BMW's

Hi all, I've owned my 3 BMW's for a number of years and carried out quite a lot of changes especially to the 540i but only came across this website tonight!!!! I'm a member of some US based forums but so happy to find a Godzone one. One thing I'd really like to sort out on my E38 is the remote locking, even though it's a late 99 model I've got the dreaded 2 button infrared unit. Same as my E39 so already been through the re-teaching procedure but still no go. Remote is fine, pumps out the signal ok but no response from the car. Anybody know how to diagnose these things?

Regards Nick 

• Like 2

Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum from another TImaru BMW owner.

The IR remotes are a pain.  I have the same problem with the daughters E46.  Do you have good diagnostic software/scanner to help with tracking the fault through the car? There is the option of changing it to the RF system, see the below link. While its for a E46, your car may be similar.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1047612

Edit:

Just came across this aftermarket kit through another BMW forum https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QH9C5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards

Murray

Edited by NZ00Z3

Good afternoon Murray, I saw your membership with your 2 Z3's, I've often wondered about purchasing one myself, well after disposing of at least one of my fleet firstly! I have read that article on upgrading to the RF remotes, one problem I struct here in Timaru was getting some new keys cut. I purchased 2 new fobs off Ebay to replace a couple of worn out cases and the local keysmith wouldn't cut them unless he supplied the blanks at $30.00 ea and $60.00 ea for the cutting!!! In the end I dremmelled the old keys out and epoxied them into the new fobs. I have purchased a scanner for reading and resetting fault codes for all 3 bemmers, wasn't sure there was anything to check regarding the remote locking though.  Maybe I'll have another look.

Regards Nick

Hi Nick

I use INPA to scan the cars.  It shows you a bit more information.  Maybe we should spend an afternoon together to see what it can tell us?

Regards

Murray

Welcome, I have the same issue on my E38 sport but was able to get it to resync. 

There was a PDF tutorial somewhere on the web, can’t remember the sequencing but it worked. Might have been on E38.org or meeknet.com

Welcome Nick, from the Welly crew! Good luck with sorting your keys … and make sure you share the solution when you've nailed it. :)

Please add pics of your vehicles too :D 

Evening All, Well I printed out another article on IR key teaching last week and while having some time spare today decided to have another crack. O.M.G this time it actually worked. Truly I've tried to reprogram that car a dozen times. Never had an issue with the E39 but finally the E38 is up and running.

I've attached the instructions, it's a screen grab so in JPG format. Hope this helps anyone else. I still like the idea of upgrading to the RF remote, might have to visit my favorite BMW wreaker in Hinds, if anyone in the Canterbury region hasn't been there it's a real eye opener.

Will have to track down some photo's of my fleet :-).

ReInitializing_Procedure.jpg

Nice work 

Excellent result. Thank you for posting the instructions. 

This morning, I've been able to use them to get the remote locking working on the daughters E46 that also has the IR remote. It's never worked since we have owned the car.

That's great news?, I must check these instructions with what's printed in my 5 series manual. I would have thought they would all be the same setup!!

Yeah I've owned the E39 for a couple of years and they've never worked either so pretty happy to finally have some success.

Now I need to fault-find the PDC system, that system was working, the scanner says there's no faults but I just get a continuous 4 second tone and the led blinks constantly on the pushbutton.

Oh well, another day another BMW electrical fault ☹️

• Like 1

Evening everybody, I have a question for the  E38 owning community on this site. I bought some PDC parts from a 98 740i in Christchurch and ended up with some other parts as well for nothing. These included the radiator, radiator cowling and a heap of trim that definitely not from an E38.

Anyway, my cowling is pretty wreaked so thought I'd investigate what's involved with removal so to my utter surprise found out I had no cooling fan! How long this has been the case I hate to think.

So after a quick phone call I shoot up to my friendly man at Hinds and we haggle a price for a complete fan and coupling. I come home tonight and firstly, the 740i cowling I have is different from the 728i and so the fan won't fit without rubbing. Secondly I check RealOEM to make sure I've been given the correct fan and find that RealOEM doesn't list any part number for a fan on a 99 728i.

So my question finally is; does the 6 cylinder E38 have a fan??? there's actually no way the fan could come off by itself, even destroying itself would leave some part of the viscous coupling behind and probably damage the radiator.

Anyone shed any light on this mystery??  

Try these they are from BMW fans parts cat. Check the part numbers and click on the i. for more info it will let you know what other models used the parts as well

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E38/Europe/728i-M52/R-A/may1999/browse/engine/cooling_system_fan_fan_coupling/#1712058_1

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E38/Europe/728i-M52/R-A/may1999/browse/radiator/radiator_expansion_tank_frame/

In the E36/7 and E36/8 world (uses same 6 cylinder engines as the 728), its common to remove the mechanical fan and clutch to avoid radiator and bonnet/hood damage when they fail with age.  These cars have a 2 stage electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator to provide the fan function.  Maybe yours was removed for the same reason?

Cheers for that guys, I have found the correct info on RealOEM, they seem to have 2 headings identical regarding cooling sub-systems. That's very interesting regarding the common removal of these fan assemblies, it's just I've never come across any car with a north/south/RWD motor that not had a fan.

I guess I can just leave it off at least till I find another shroud anyway. Thanks again guys.