Sign in to follow this  
Brendog

130i mystery metallic scraping sound

Wondering if anyone has a idea what causing this sound? I've taken it to a couple of people and they weren't sure. Best I can describe it is a intermittent higher pitched scraping sound. Can hear it in the 30-60km range. Constant whether coasting in N or heavy on/off throttle or turning. Sounds a bit like a stone in the disc but don't think its that.

Can hear from about 10s, 38sec, quite loud at 57sec, 2:14 and 2:50.

Cheers

Edited by Brendog

On 5/21/2018 at 9:29 AM, Brendog said:

Constant whether coasting in N or heavy on/off throttle or turning. Sounds a bit like a stone in the disc but don't think its that.

Sounds to me like something rubbing on the disc. Check the obvious before panicking: check the brake pads (see if anything is caught in them or they are extremely low), dust shields, check for stones etc. before anything else as it may just be that simple. 

39 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Sounds to me like something rubbing on the disc. Check the obvious before panicking: check the brake pads (see if anything is caught in them or they are extremely low), dust shields, check for stones etc. before anything else as it may just be that simple. 

Thanks have had a quick look but couldn't see anything. Hoping its not the pinion bearing but have a bad feeling it might be. Was also advised it could be wheel bearing or prop bearing.

Could be many things. I had a stone lodged in rear rotor once that required taking the whole thing off, they aren't always seen.

Did the people you took it to run the car on the hoist to see if they could reproduce it?

8 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Could be many things. I had a stone lodged in rear rotor once that required taking the whole thing off, they aren't always seen.

Did the people you took it to run the car on the hoist to see if they could reproduce it?

Ok thanks good to know. Local shop I went to didn't have a spare bay at the time and just went for a drive. At first they thought I was hearing things but on the way back they heard it, they took a quick look but couldn't see anything. It hasn't gotten worse in months, sometimes quite loud if you're listening for it other times can't hear it so I keep forgetting to go back, but will do.

Cheers