Sign in to follow this  
coop

E87 120d

Can anyone give some real world fuel figures from these for both highway and urban?

If I buy, it will be used mostly around Wellington with a couple of trips a month up to Cambridge. 

My 320d didn't really impress with the fuel economy, 6-6.2 l/100km open road and 8-10 around Wellington. Despite that Id happily buy another, but most look well used/neglected.

I imagine the E87 will be slightly better for fuel economy. 

Slightly off topic, I have been looking at BMW/Mercedes with no great criteria. Seems as though there are only a handful of models to get, and all the other are lemons sure to fail before 200k. Two companies known for putting out some of the best bullet proof engines back in the day and yet they struggle to get the modern stuff right. 

Ive always thought my parents E46 318i manual with M43 engine did well considering - ~6L highway and 8-9L around Hamilton. Under powered but a cheap fairly reliable engine compared to what offered today. It had ample power for city driving, good torque to 3000rpm but has no passing power on open road. M44 E46 would of been nice.

Late 80's - 90's era cars in general are still the best overall in my books.

when i had mine (manual) it was very consistent 6.5 l per 100 k round town and on a trip 5.5 l per 100 k easy.I didnt do stop start kinda stuff but that 6.5 l never really changed much with different use.

edit...i see you are welly based so my day to day trip was commuting from wellington to lower hutt.I dont recomend a diesel unless you are going to do longer trip.Mine was chipped

Edited by kiwi535