kwhelan

modern engineering

this serious head on crash in Nelson in the news, said she was cut from car with multiple injuries but look at the car, it would appear the doors mostly still opened, windscreen is still in place, pretty impressive design cars are 

AAxMowL.img.jpeg

• Like 1

it really is a wonder how all that stuff didnt get pushed into the driver. amazing!

• Like 1

This really gives me pause eh. Would the e39 crumple zones be this effective?

That's not a head-on, it's side impact for sure.

That looks like a corner impact so not that much force transferred into the passenger cabin, you can see distortion of the A pillar and shattering of the windscreen on the drivers side radiating from the bottom right corner reasonably evenly up the pillar and across the bottom of the windscreen. Slightly more up  the screen suggests it was slightly further to the side than the front  

An E39 will handle this, frontal and side impact much better than what you see in the image 

funny, I read it as..... this car ran an intersection and was hit right going left. They didn't have a seat belt on and smashed their face into the windscreen .

You can see that both airbags have gone off  so unlikely she hit the windscreen although it is possible , the impacts on the bottom of the windscreen and the fire wall on the drivers side suggest something (the engine?) was push backwards.

We make a real mess of cars when we need to cut someone out so the  images can show a lot more "destruction" than what ocurred during  the (crash) event. 

Edited by 3pedals

The airbags will smash the windscreen. Ask me how I know.

And a windscreen won't stop an unrestrained adult body.

Exit stage right