Sign in to follow this  
Stevejackie2017

M62tu

Hi all . Just thought id share my experience with this engine in my e53 x5 with m62tu44 . For starters brilliant engine although many wont agree ? my paticular m62 has been meticulously looked after and maintained in every way .less than 20 thou kms ago timing chain. Guides, tensioners , vanos, numerous seals etc all replaced ..purely for preventive maintenance.  However a few days ago i noticed a slight fluttering sound on cold start up and it defo wasnt vanos . This was after having replaced everything when guides and chain were done ..After a few days i decided to order a new guide tensioner ( the tensioner that bolts into side of block on drivers side ) bam problem solved .such a simple thing to replace ( without removing anything other than air box etc and using a 19mm with a knuckle connection) and saved thousands in an eventual guide failure . From now on i will replace this tensioner every second service or 20 thou kms . For $159 couriered to your door ...why wouldnt you . ??

Edited by Stevejackie2017
Worded wrong

Assuming you talking about the chain tensioner? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/timing-chain-tensioner/11317531813/

If that wasn't replaced when the guides etc were done then they weren't meticulous at all tbh given its a very well known wear item

I agree they are good engines if overhauled and everything is working as intended but many that are sub par. The M60 is still the only BMW V8 that has proven reliability in my books. 

Yes referring to chain tensioner . This was replaced at time of doing guides etc less than 20thou kms ago and  was a genuine part .still started to fail which i turn would have destroyed guides  

This sounds like a part one should buy from FCP Euro, and just replace every year for free thenceforth. 

You do get those random failure situations. Had a couple of OEM parts DOA over the years. 

You shouldn't need to be replacing that main chain tensioner so often. They're a pretty simple design and the only thing I can think of that would cause it to not do its job is A if the spring failed and if B the oil passage became blocked. It does sound like the one installed when you had the guides etc done was faulty. Did you compare it to the new one you installed ?