Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

My New Trolley

Ordered the new trolley on Friday. Kona Elite 1.6T DCT7 in Pulse Red with Towbar & the full Dura-Seal protection system for paint & leather. Should get it Friday or early the following week. The pulse red is close to BMW's Imola Red.

http://www.autocar.co.nz/car-reviews-app/2018-hyundai-kona-elite-review

hyundai-kona-right_600x300.jpg

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Glenn that might be Imola red not to be confused with Ebola red , one is a BMW colour 

Seriously.... go drive one then get back to me. I have one here if your interested. Same as..just in black

Took delivery today Absolutely luv it

M4.JPG

M5.JPG

M3.JPG

M1.JPG

M2.JPG

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 5

Go drive one Tom. You’ll  be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the 1.6T DCT7 AWD version and the handling

• Like 1

Cool car! I love it.

Here is a nice review from a couple of guys who are quite good at what they do. unlike some new motorsport car channels. the banter between them works quite well.

• Like 1

I’m really enjoying it. Especially being able to set up the HUD and all the safety parameters. The Elite is the top of the range in NZ with every extra fitted including the Autolink app. Break in period is 2,000km. So no towing or pissing others off with the performance. I had a bit of fun in the demo one I had for a week though. Never thought I’d like heated seats, but the leather can be cold first thing (3 heat settings) All the auto settings are great too along with keyless entry. For a small AWD  vehicle there’s not much it doesn’t have for its size and cost.

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

Looking at the review it really does have some impressive features. Very BMW-like too the auto climate aircon controls, the different drive settings, and it looks like the infotainment system looks top notch!

I wonder what these things would be worth in a couple years time secondhand.. might be a fantastic little car for trolley duties!

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive reply Kyu ? and yes it has a hell of a lot of features and beats anything in it's class of car  ....and more. I think there is more of an Audi look about the front... Q7 ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Definitely has some design cues from other manufacturers but thats not just for this car but for every carmaker nowadays.

Bottom line is it looks good, much better than some of the other crossover mini suv style cars like the nissan juke and mazda cx whatever.

I was having a chat with a colleague who recently bought the kia stinger sport and we both agreed that for around half the price (or less) of a german counterpart, you get a bloody awesome car with a lot of features and benefits.

I am personally super interested to try the i30N!

Yes I totally agree with you. The Euro manufacturers are going to get a big run for their money with the Korean Kia & Hyundai guys competing in their markets now 

Maybe in 10 years time, stuff like the i30N and Stinger will help change the enthusiast publics opinion, but most people still think beaten up daewoo with the bumper falling off when "korean car" is mentioned :D 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 9:30 AM, B.M.W Ltd said:

Yes I totally agree with you. The Euro manufacturers are going to get a big run for their money with the Korean Kia & Hyundai guys competing in their markets now 

Yup sure will. Hyundai are no longer just recycled Mitsi's & Kia are no longer just a motorised wheel barrow - as they both were 15 years ago.

Yes, but they'll all be over-assisted transportation capsules rather than something you drive.

That being said, this one doesn't seem like it's lacking much.

I drove something like this a few years ago as a rental in Canada.  1.6 turbo got along quite well.

Can't remember what it was.  Brand new Hyundai of some sort.  It wasn't memorable but it was comfortable, had enough power and great on gas.  I do remember everything feeling over assisted.  Dave's comment triggered my memory of driving it TBH.

Can't go wrong really.  Bet it will last forever too.  I liked the color.

Hyundai2.JPG

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yes, but they'll all be over-assisted transportation capsules rather than something you drive.

That being said, this one doesn't seem like it's lacking much.

You can choose to have it on or off, flick it into sports and go manual with the 7 speed DCT

... go take a drive in one

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

this reinforces my view that most people view cars as mobile infotainment systems which require as little driver input as possible.

What a sh*t headline Better?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

this reinforces my view that most people view cars as mobile infotainment systems which require as little driver input as possible.

What a sh*t headline Better?

exactly they used to rabbit on that lexus was the most trusted brand and had the least amount of breakdowns

Big Deal

be a long day before boys have posters of Hyundais/Kias on their bedroom walls

Hopefully surveys like that will encourage brands such as BMW to (re)introduce simple, mechanical, manual cars with as few electronics as practical for real enthusiasts. I don't even want automatic lights or windscreen wipers, I know when to turn both on. A touch screen radio interface would drive me spare (and I wonder why touch screens are even legal).

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

Good lord the Kona is f**k ugly. Fat in the wrong bits, black plastic in the wrong bits, lights everywhere, and that weird squinty look that even Jeep knew was wrong and went away from.

Other than that though, the latest offerings from the Koreans are meant to be good cars to drive, with decent quality interiors.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Good lord the Kona is f**k ugly. Fat in the wrong bits, black plastic in the wrong bits, lights everywhere, and that weird squinty look that even Jeep knew was wrong and went away from.

agree completely on looks, very nissan juke kinda weird just to be different, latest Hondas are weird too

if they took off the plastic sides and removed that oversized lower outer headlight the actual silouette looks ok

be interesting to see it photoshopped actually

1 hour ago, KwS said:

15 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

This style of vehicle may be popular BUT the difference between something like this and an X3 /X5 is - in the latter you get:

1. Seats that fit 'erect' humans - not a headrest between the shoulder blades or back of the neck or a seat only suitable for hunchbacks,
  2. ergonomics that work for humans of around 180 - 190 cm, 
  3. visibility in and out of the vehicle, 
  4. an enigine that makes power and torque, 
  5. a vehicle that has a drive dynamic not the wooden feel of a dray. 

I avoid/refuse  the Hyundai , Kia , Cruze and others when picking rental cars as the are such a pain in the neck (literally) to drive 

interesting as I'm 6,4 and I drove my wifes cruze 25kms once and didn't notice anything until I got out, Shoulders were wrecked for days, can't get in it now without a jersey or pillow stuffed in lower back. can't say Ive ever had a car seat do that so dramatically before in 40 odd years and yes Iv'e repeated it foolishly, there was something very wrong in the seat back which apart from being flat didn't look any different to any other. Sitting in it at car yard you would even say this feels comfortable but it was hell after 30 mins,

Edited by kwhelan

10 hours ago, 3pedals said:
  1. ergonomics that work for humans of around 180 - 190 cm, 

This(and manual gearbox and useable torque) is the main reason that got me into a BMW initially.When i bought the 535 I Drove from Auckland to Wellington picked up the family and then up to Napier without any long stops.The Wellington to Napier leg was appalling weather(cars were pulling of the road in heavy rain) but the 535 just lapped it up

My mother in law took a Kona for a drive as she was wanting a replacement for her Forrester. First up tier one Korean manufactuers like Hyundai and Kia are a fair way ahead of GM Daewoo and the Cruze is just plain bread and butter motoring. I think saying all Korean cars are the same is unfair an Opel is not a BMW or Benz.I thought the Kona was fine a bit on the small side for my 196cm frame but just about everything in that class is, but I am at one end of the Bell Curve. The Koreans have focussed on plain value for money cars for a long time but the Hyundai N and the Kia Stinger have shown they have some intent and to be fair they are not bad first up efforts. I would happily drive either. Their SUV 's are decent and I for one dont look for sports car handling in an SUV, if I want that I will buy a sports car. Technology wise if you like old school then buy an old car, hell even my 79 year old mother in law can use a touch screen. A lot of this is just badge snobbery. But I guess we all have that to some degree. I dislike French and Italian cars because of quality issues.

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 6