Sign in to follow this  
treone

How awesome is the 2018 M5?

Friggin awesome I reckon! 

Although Doug is pretty annoying, there's no denying the M5 is on a whole different level...

Couldn't help but find it has too much stuff on another wise nice package

Gesture interface controls?

Massive red padels on the wheel?

Touch sensitive seat controls?

I like technology but not when its layered so much to the point of why is it there, but oh thats right its mostly a game against each other manurfacture to play top trumps with the pointless featurelist.

At least it sounds better than the last version, and is impressively fast. Exterior styling best since E39 perhaps too? But I think an E39 M5 is still hard to beat as far as value, manual gearbox, S62 and a nice blend of old and new technologies, nothing over done. Pre idrive too! 

Torque converter? WTF! ?

• Like 1

yep, good ole slush box, better for smooth takeoffs and apparently that's what M5 owners are all about these days! Lets face it though, that auto will be orders of magnitude better than the old 4 speed in your dads Cortina.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Michael. said:

Exterior styling best since E39 perhaps too?

+1. Some of tech like the reversing camera setup would be useful but yeah many gimmicks which is common place these days. 

So I just got around to finishing this, not a bad watch.

It's a very cool car but I wonder just how much of it will be working in 10 years, how much it will cost to replace that touch screen for example. And how much will the subscriptions and plans required to keep it all functional cost after the warranty expires?

I'd love the privilege of owning one of these new but after 3-5 years, not so much.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:28 PM, Michael. said:

But I think an E39 M5 is still hard to beat as far as value, manual gearbox, S62 and a nice blend of old and new technologies, nothing over done. Pre idrive too! 

Just no.  It's super old school and not good value.  The V10 is better "value".

And come on, technology doesn't fail that much.  None of the tech in my 12yr old M5 has failed, none, not a thing.

Back to the car.  It's cool, but do I want it?  Not really.

One of the features that peeves me is when you push one of the buttons, like seat adjustment and the screen changes to show you what it's doing.  Same in the F10, if you change to sport mode while reversing or ham up the gear change buttons then the display changes to tell you what is going on instead of staying on the reverse cam.  Stay on the damn reverse cam already!

Edited by GorGasm

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

+1. Some of tech like the reversing camera setup would be useful but yeah many gimmicks which is common place these days. 

Yeah, part of the smartphone like era cars have entered into in recent years. 

But apparently it's cool to have super reflective screens, riddled with smudges rather than, intuitive, tactile buttons. 

The olders cars are what they are and we always view them with a passion that comes with ownership or possible ownersip in mind because unlike a new car we can possibly afford them. New cars are never going to seem like a value proposition and at around 200k we need the depreciation cycle to come in to play before most of us get interested.  A colleage in Auckland who can drive a bit really liked the new 550i and was amazed at how responsive the auto was, his comment was its as good as most DCT,s. The tech is what it is, some of it will be able to be reprogrammed in time, but he said none of it detracted from his driving experience. He liked the car and was keen on trying the M5 (he has the cash) but said it makes you realise how slow 100kph is. He said the old cars that could do 0 to 100 in 5 to 6 seconds made you work, the 550 was just so easy.

• Like 1

If someone gave me 200k etc to spend on cars id be filling the garage with older stuff before i even considered buying something brand new. Most modern cars just don't offer the things that i admired in the older models. Improvements come with a cost and you simply can't make a car like you could back in the day. 

Yep as much as i love power the speed limit is so low here that big power is wasted in average use. My S600 does a flat 6 to 100 and while its average performance by todays standards due to the weight ive never felt wished for more speed. Im glad ive never owned anything too powerful otherwise i would probably have no license.

• Like 1