M3AN

E30 Ignorance - $40k - $65k Really?

Was a thread made about it somewhat recently iirc. Got the BBS RS 740's on my car too, don't see them around much.

It may not be completely insane, people are asking for 20k and more for E30 M325 that aren’t close to this kind of condition and with f**k all history.  

Plus if the Alpina stuff is for real, that’s super rare.

Its probably over priced for NZ, but globally speaking maybe about right.  Dude is a car yard also, so that’s a 25% mark up to be expected anyway.

I can't make sense of that, but maybe I just don't know the complete value of such era / spec BMWs.

IMO, black grilles usually means they have been fiddled with, would expect this to be in original show room condition for that price... not fitted with junk like a doof doof sub in the parcel tray, you can just see it in one of the pictures. 

Anyone seen actual sale prices of these specific model E30s overseas? 

• Like 1

its been for sale for nearly two years now.

some more info here for the uneducated: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/325iS_South_African_Model

though this example is missing the dog leg box which is interesting.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

... some more info here for the uneducated: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/325iS_South_African_Model

It actually seems like quite an interesting "Special Edition" although you'd have to want it a lot to pay the asking price.

Now, if you could find that dog leg box and the alu doors from an Evo I... 

• Like 1

Also appears to be missing the exclusive front splitter?

Looks like a bloody nice car, and a rare limited model at that, but jebus thats a lot of money!

• Like 1

Could prob have a E36 M3 EVO, E34 M5, and an E39 M5 for that money!

• Like 5

True that.

Also: skip the E34 and take a long holiday with lots of tail with the change.

But E34 is the prettiest BMW of all time! 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Michael. said:

But E34 is the prettiest BMW of all time! 

cant argue with that

5501097977_90b1cfe622_z.jpg on Flickr

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 5

On 6/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

this example is missing the dog leg box which is interesting.

They were never offered with the dogleg g245 that mates to an M20, it's a g260/5 which has closer ratios 1st-4th than a regular g260 - see attached. A 1:1 5th gear and a 3.73:1 diff in SA would be absolute madness. The E30Zone article is riddled with errors - they're parroting information that Andrew Everett of "E30 Restoration Bible" fame got wrong well over a decade ago which has never been corrected.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:51 PM, M3AN said:

Now, if you could find that dog leg box and the alu doors from an Evo I... 

When I weighed them, from memory they were 2kg weight saving at best - they're an ally skin wrapped over a standard E30 internal door frame (older panel beaters will know what I'm talking about). The front guards were ally pressed over a mould of a guard as they're so thin and easy to replicate, and I imagine the bonnet was also skin over frame

e30m20boxes.png

Edited by Neil McCauley
  • Like 2

Good info, thank's

I assumed the alr doors would be much lighter actually, on the E36 they're 7kg each lighter than than steel ones!

31 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Good info, thank's

I assumed the alr doors would be much lighter actually, on the E36 they're 7kg each lighter than than steel ones!

I'll grab some scales and grab a definitive answer tomorrow, I was bloody disappointed in the figure from memory.

RE: The apocryphal E36 alu doors are a favourite of mine. Option 919 on the 3.0's, standard kit on the LHD M3 GT and 50/50 as to whether your UK M3 GT Individual got them. The first six months of 3.2 production got them before complaints about NVH surfaced, and the rest of the story is history. Easy enough to tell though, the alu doors are riveted. 

Don't get the scales out on my account, I accept what you're saying about the E30 doors.

The E36 ones aren't so apocryphal, I have them. I didn't realise it was a selectable option on the 3.0. I do know that not every early 3.2 came off the line with them, a friend had a September 96 Evo with steel doors. The alu ones are more flexible though and the door cards pop out more easily.