Sign in to follow this  
hsuhome

Wheel Alignment Query

Hi all,

I've recently just done a wheel alignment on my 640i, but after the alignment was done, my steering wheel is on an angle when the car drives straight, I find this very strange. :/  As I don't know much about the acceptable values of each adjustment, I've attached my wheel alignment sheet, I'm just wondering if anybody can tell me if these values look right? I also don't understand why the front camber is somewhat different between left and right. Any input would be helpful. :) Cheers.

Wheel_Alignment.jpg

Looks like they did a pretty bad job.

The rear toe is way off.

If the wheel isnt straight go back and tell them to fix it. Whoever did it failed the job.

Usually when I get an alignment done, I can see a min and max spec for my vehicle and the before and after figures usually end up starting from outside the spec and is fixed so it is within the specs.

Looking at your sheet, there are no min/max specs, and there is very little change in before and after so what have they actually done?

and it is off center?? lol, that is the bare minimum..

I agree with all of the above.

The off-centre steering wheel means they've left the steering wheel in the wrong position before starting the alignment.

Unless you get a very thorough alignment (costs more) most shops won't get the camber identical from side to side, even if the car is brand new. You have less than a 1/3 of a degree difference so no need to worry about that.

I'd also want those rear toe numbers closer. If you drive it like you stole it then perhaps +1.5 each side but if not then maybe +0.5 each side.

You need to take it back...

Edited by M3AN

In 2018 Auckland, where is the best alignment shop? (Pref. central Auckland). 

Autolign is the best

http://www.autolign.co.nz/

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

You need to take it back...

Only to get money back and then take it to a proper place.

I wouldnt let them near it again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zero said:

Only to get money back and then take it to a proper place.

I wouldnt let them near it again.

Truth in this but I think the chances of money back are slim as the shop has the choice to make it right instead of giving your money back... :(

But next time, yes avoid!

They've only adjusted the toe - front and rear - and haven't touched the camber.  The disturbing thing is that the specs (target ranges) aren't shown, so one wonders what the hell they were adjusting to.  

$60/80 education, flush it away and go somewhere decent.  I'd not let these guys near my vehicle.  Offer them the opportunity to refund your money.   Getting your steering wheel centred is part of the setup of a basic alignment.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:  they probably didn't do the rear toe, come to think of it.  The variation in rear toe may have been a result of adjusting the front.  This was a ten minute quick-and-dirty, at best.

Edited by Olaf
EDIT: UPDATE

If they wont refund your money or fix the problem it may be best to name and shame.

I had a dodgy wheel alignment done once, and it destroyed my front tyres. Now I only go to places I can trust.

Yup to all the above. And yes there is ONE place now in town that I trust for wheel alignments. Someone that knows tyres &  understands steering geometries/variables.

The lack of setting the steering wheel straight sums this place up. It is a fundamental! 

5 hours ago, zero said:

Autolign is the best

http://www.autolign.co.nz/

Yes, this is where I recently took my 328 and I was super impressed with the service and results. I'll only be going there from now.

Ah damn... Thanks guys for your inputs. Guess it was a $85 lesson...But yeah, don't even want to give them a second try...I'll take the car somewhere else for a proper alignment.. Cheers.

26 minutes ago, hsuhome said:

Ah damn... Thanks guys for your inputs. Guess it was a $85 lesson...But yeah, don't even want to give them a second try...I'll take the car somewhere else for a proper alignment.. Cheers.

you have got to complain...if yu dont they think they are fooling you and or dont even realise that what they are doing is crap,though i think they know that already but get away with it time and time again.At least ask for your money back and tell them they wont be touching your car again

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

you have got to complain...if yu dont they think they are fooling you and or dont even realise that what they are doing is crap,though i think they know that already but get away with it time and time again.At least ask for your money back and tell them they wont be touching your car again

Yeah Im gonna to go back and let them know I'm not satisfied with the job they've done and ask for a refund, which Im not sure how successful that would be, but regardless they ain't going to touch my car again even if they offer to make it right. 

On a side note, does anyone have a good wheel alignment place they can recommend in Christchurch?  Thanks in advance :)

Name and shame! 

Is it just me or have the number of half pie auto service companies quadrupled recently.